PDA

View Full Version : Lyman 20 Furnace Base Base

94Doug
05-19-2014, 11:44 PM
Has anyone replaced the base of their Lyman furnace? I picked one up for my son a while back, and it was kind of leaning forward. I took out the bolts from the base that thread into the rods, and found that the sheet metal around the holes was bent pretty bad. At first I was thinking of reinforcing the holes, but was toying around with just picking up a piece of 1/2" aluminum plate and using that as the base instead. Has this been done by anyone here?

dikman
05-20-2014, 08:10 AM
I don't see why that wouldn't work - if you can get the old one off then it shouldn't be difficult to make a new one. OpenNRG has made a Lee pot upgrade kit which includes a new base, maybe that will give you some ideas?
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?202648-Lee-Furnace-Upgrades

Hardcast416taylor
05-20-2014, 12:21 PM
To achieve a better height under the spout of my RCBS pot, I screwed together pieces of 2x6 and 1/2" plywood till I had the height I wanted then I nailed a piece of aluminum sheeting 1/16" thick on the top layer. I now have an 1/2" gap from mold to spout. I have made 2 other "Wood Height spacers" for other different thickness molds. I believe your idea of an aluminum bottom plate is a good idea for better stability.Robert