PDA

View Full Version : need advise on air gun to sting Bambi

goodolejim
05-18-2014, 05:09 PM
We have a deer problem. Deer are killing our fruit trees by eating the bark. A few evenings ago I counted 14 deer in the yard. I live in Salt Lake City with neighbors within 200 feet so am limited to low power guns plus I really don't wish to injure Bambi. I am using a Daisy Powerline 901 which works for one animal but no effect on the others. The 901 is a pump single shot Thinking a semi auto would move more deer away. Department of Wildlife says "Not our problem". Any thoughts or suggestions?

rondog
05-18-2014, 05:31 PM
I have no experience with this, but a friend who does tells me deer can be very tough to shoo away. They just don't "get it", they're only interested in the food. Even thumping them with paintballs only chases them away temporarily. Which is why the Game Rangers give out handfuls of depradation permits in his area to thin them out.

C. Latch
05-18-2014, 05:51 PM
We have a deer problem. Deer are killing our fruit trees by eating the bark. A few evenings ago I counted 14 deer in the yard. I live in Salt Lake City with neighbors within 200 feet so am limited to low power guns plus I really don't wish to injure Bambi. I am using a Daisy Powerline 901 which works for one animal but no effect on the others. The 901 is a pump single shot Thinking a semi auto would move more deer away. Department of Wildlife says "Not our problem". Any thoughts or suggestions?

I own an orchard. I'd consider individual tree shelters. I have had some success using clear plastic bags to create something of a physical barrier around most of the tree. Shelters would be better, but they're pricey.

DougGuy
05-18-2014, 09:03 PM
Some people put pvc pipe around a tree's trunk up far enough to protect the bark from being eaten.

gtgeorge
05-18-2014, 09:18 PM
Moth balls worked for my neighbors fields when he was farming them to set up a barrier they would not cross. Smell liked to ran me off too though.

crawfobj
05-18-2014, 09:38 PM
Full auto air soft? Might work only temporarily as has been said, but it would be fun. Won't break the skin, but it would get their attention.

My brother turned the head of a rattlesnake into goo with one at far too close of a range.

Zymurgy50
05-18-2014, 09:43 PM
Plant some "Ghost Chilli's" around the fruit trees. One taste and the deer will not return........

CastingFool
05-18-2014, 09:44 PM
Take 10 eggs, crack them and mix them up well and add to a gallon of water. Let it sit on your countertop for 7 days. Don't worry it won't stink that bad. Add a tablespoon of dish detergent, this breaks up the surface tension and keeps the liquid from running off. If you like you can add a teaspoon or two of finely ground black pepper. Put in a spray bottle and spray your trees with it. Once the deer taste that stuff, they will stop eating the bark. That is what I use in my garden, and I live out in the country. According to the instructions, you should re spray after every rain.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
05-19-2014, 07:22 AM
Take 10 eggs, crack them and mix them up well and add to a gallon of water. Let it sit on your countertop for 7 days. Don't worry it won't stink that bad. Add a tablespoon of dish detergent, this breaks up the surface tension and keeps the liquid from running off. If you like you can add a teaspoon or two of finely ground black pepper. Put in a spray bottle and spray your trees with it. Once the deer taste that stuff, they will stop eating the bark. That is what I use in my garden, and I live out in the country. According to the instructions, you should re spray after every rain.

Something along these lines works and has worked for farmers for years. There are variations on this theme, but basically you want your trees to not taste good to the deer.

wch
05-19-2014, 07:26 AM

I use a commercial mixture called "Deer Away" in a sprayer; if you follow their directions as to mix strength and frequency, it works very well. This stuff is sold online and at our local Tractor Supply store.

freebullet
05-28-2014, 11:42 PM
Rubber shotgun slugs would be fun or bean bags loaded light.

Lol make the trees unappealing flavor sounds most reasonable but not as much fun. It would be.a good night deterrent too though.

grizzlyadams
05-29-2014, 01:51 PM
slingshot and some moth balls tag them in the rear with a mothball

Maximumbob54
05-29-2014, 01:58 PM
I'm sorry but I'm still laughing at the thought of walking up on a deer I had just shot and seeing it peppered with paint ball spots. I'm not sure what I would think.

NVScouter
06-02-2014, 01:03 PM
I used paintballs (older the better...Walmart is great for this) on wild horses and deer. Now I use better fences, I'm told the Deer Away works great but lots of people.

crawfobj
06-02-2014, 02:17 PM
One of those Alaska trooper shows had an investigation into a dead cow moose that was ultimately determined to have been killed by a homeowner with a pellet gun. They were trying to chase it out of their yard. Must have been a serious pellet gun!

R.M.
06-02-2014, 02:47 PM
....... Must have been a serious pellet gun!

Or complete BS

crawfobj
06-02-2014, 02:47 PM
Or complete BS

Or that of course!

Smoke4320
06-02-2014, 02:58 PM
308 pellet going 2700 FPS :)

aspangler
06-02-2014, 03:49 PM
Try this old trick. Put a bar of IVORY bath soap in the forks of the trees and water well. The deer hate the taste and the rain keeps it refreshed.

GhostHawk
06-02-2014, 04:07 PM
Actually you could kill a moose with a single .22lr into the lungs. I suspect a .22 pellet gun could do the same.

Not reasonable, not what i'd call ethical, means a long slow lingering death for the animal.
But it has been done before.

IMO don't "shoot" anything you don't want to kill. Throw a rock, pee on a tree, do something else to discourage them.

grizzlyadams
06-02-2014, 11:14 PM
Or that of course!
nope , not bs. even a 22 call doing 800 fps with a lead pellet is deadly, even to a half ton animal. just takes a bit for them to bleed out.

W.R.Buchanan
06-04-2014, 07:47 PM
I think this would be an excellent opportunity to hone your slingshot skills. And it would be fun.

How close can you get to these offending Deer? inside of 20 yards and you should be able to run them off for a while. I know they are persistent so you may have to re educate frequently. Eventually you will either have no fruit left or the deer will get the idea. Either way they will be gone for the season.

I have the same problem with Raccoons digging up my lawns. I can't believe they won't go into the traps like they used to.

Randy

Blanket
06-04-2014, 09:02 PM
wrist rocket with marbles or cut the crimp off of a 12ga trap load, dump the shot and pack full of alum foil lots of noise and stings. best bet is an electric fence with strips of foil covered in peanut butter wrapped around it

leeggen
06-04-2014, 09:36 PM
You have to be careful as the game wardens and get you for harassing wildlife in some cases. Why not put up some electric fencing and use a good strong Paramak fence charger. Mine runs at 15000 volt at 2 jewels and it will get their attention quickly.Your own also if not careful. IT WILL JOLT YOU A GOODONE, I KNOW. As said before put some black plastic pipe around the trunk to stop them stripping bark.
CD

calaloo
06-11-2014, 03:06 PM
For years I had a problem with deer eating my okra plants. I tried every thing from commercial products to playing a small transistor radio even dog hair from the groomers and human hair from the barbers. Nothing worked. let me explain here that deer love okra almost as much as southerners do. Then someone told me about the egg thing. All you have to do is put about a half dozen eggs in the blender with some water and grind the hound out of them. Put the mix in your pump up sprayer and add enough water to make a gallon you don't have to wait for the mixture to age just spray the plants you want to protect. This has worked for me for years now. as soon as I notice that my plants have been munched on I spray and that's it. I have never had to retreat. Everyone I have told about this swears by it. IT WORKS!
Calaloo

farmerjim
06-11-2014, 03:33 PM
Get a big dog. Keep him in the orchard with an electric or underground fence. Deer will not stay where there is a dog chasing them. Deer will learn when you are watching for them and come at another time. I have a 8 1/2 foot fence they they jump when they want. Shooting them with 12 ga # 8 shot only makes them leave for a couple of hours. The repellents do help, but I have 4 acres of vegetables. A single electric wire at 3 feet off the ground will sometimes work till they learn they can jump or duck under it.