PDA

View Full Version : Mannlicher Schoenauer

stocker
01-10-2008, 05:09 PM
A rifle I always admired due to their workmanship and slick hand polished action even though there are scoping difficulties and lock time is a bit slow. Still a great hunting rifle but one I couldn't afford when they were in production.

I'm just concluding the purchase of a 1950 model (rifle, not carbine) in 270 Win. Double set triggers , three leaf sight. It appears to be in very decent shape but I have only seen pictures and it will probably be a week or two before it arrives. The price was right and an old lust realized.

Think I'll have a drop of Bruich Laddich tonight to celebrate.

Four Fingers of Death
01-10-2008, 05:53 PM
Well done, I saw one virtually the same some years back at a gunshop in a country town south that I was passing through. Unfortunately I was as poor as a churchmouse at the time and missed out on it. It was a shame because although it was not perfect cosmetically, it had a virtually new bore. There are a lot of trophy Sambar deer hunters down that way, they walk and carry a lot, but shoot rarely.

olddudeone
01-10-2008, 07:02 PM
They are great, Have 2 carbines I picked up in the 60s. A 9x56 and a 9.5x57, both great to shoot or carry. Enjoy yours olddudeone

Harry O
01-10-2008, 11:46 PM
I have a 1910 in 9.5x57 MS caliber. It is as smooth and easy to handle as everyone says. Kicks like a SOB, though. Yours should be much easier on the shoulder. Have fun.

http://www.hunt101.com/watermark.php?file=448576&size=1

http://www.hunt101.com/watermark.php?file=448575&size=1

outsidebear
01-11-2008, 12:09 PM
Here's a web site to look around in. We founded the Mannlicher Collector's Association back in 1985. There's some good informaition in this site, and also can look around through their Links reference pages.

http://www.mannlicher.org/

Congrats on you M-S, they are truly the Rolls Royce of bolt action designs and workmanship... I've thinned out my accumulation of them to other collectors, but kept 3 of the Model 1903's in 6.5x54mm. I'm sure you'll have many an enjoyable hour with your .27o M-S...

9.3X62AL
01-11-2008, 02:52 PM
I'm down to one M-S example now--a G98/40 "Mountain Carbine" in 8 x 57 Mauser. Most of its range time is spent with Lee 175 grainers atop 16.0 grains of 2400, and if I do my part I can keep Buckshot and Glen a little worried during the Burrito Shoot. Occasionally, that is.

Past M-S rifles were a 1903 full-stock carbine in 6.5 x 54 and a 1908 full-stocker in 8 x 56. Both had D&T receivers, so I got into them for low dollars--played with them for 5-6 years--and sold or traded them away. NICE rifles, they just beg to hunted with.

My current scheming involves acquisition of a Steyr-Mannlicher SSG-PII in 308. With the U.S. State Department sanctions against Austria for the Iraq arms "discoveries" from 2003 now lapsing--the Steyr SSG series has been disallowed from import until Jan. 1, 2008--these have been scarce and resultingly expensive. They weren't exactly economical before the sanctions, either. Hopefully, S/M will resume imports of the SSG--Professional--and Luxus series rifles again. An SSG or Professional would prompt sales of safe queens and maybe a keeper without hesitation.

Mannlicher-Schoenauer and Steyr-Mannlicher are makes of rifles I lose ALL objectivity over.

stocker
01-11-2008, 03:18 PM
I've been wanting one for 50 years. Once they were discontinued I couldn't find one in good condition at a price that didn't amount to extortion. This one appears to be at 85-95% condition from the pictures and was under $1000.00. I'd like a carbine one day too but my eyes don't agree with short barrels and open sights in close proximity any more so would have to find one that is scopeable. I can still do pretty good with a few extra inches of barrel to spread the sights out though.

I was able to get over not sleeping Christmas Eve about 55 years ago, now it's come back for another reason.