PDA

View Full Version : 600 # of pure lead.

45-70 Chevroner
05-17-2014, 06:52 PM
My neighbor bought 600# of pure lead yesterday for .55 cents a pound. Good deal or not, I thought it was. It is 1/4" thick 12" wide and each piece is about 8' long (chopping ax time) I told him that that would probably be the easiest way to whittle it down to size.

zuke
05-17-2014, 07:10 PM
Sound's like a good deal to me!

osteodoc08
05-17-2014, 07:48 PM
Sawzall time.

Good deal in my book.

If using a sawzall, cut over a tarp to collect all the shavings. No sense in wasting.

fastfire
05-17-2014, 07:54 PM
I got the same thing two years ago, tried sawsall first, one cut took about 2 minutes.
Next tried skillsaw, each cut took about 5 seconds.
Guess if you have a double blade saw where the blades counter rotate that is best.
Lay a tarp down to catch the (sawdust)
Good score!

bangerjim
05-17-2014, 08:39 PM
HF double cut saw!!!!!!! An axe will kill your back! A sawz-all will rattle your bones to the core and is VERY slow. If you have that much, it is well worth the few dollars it costs. And you will use it to cut almost EVERYTHING else you will cut in the future, as long as you do not need perfectly square cut.

I went thru a bunch of that 1/4" lead the other day and it was like a hot knife thru butter. 12" long cut.....no problem.....took about 11 seconds. Now that is fast. Caught all the "dust" on a tarp and dumped it in the pot.

I left the 1/4" thick x 2" wide strips as-is to store. No need of wasting fuel $$ melting it into ingots. They ended up weighing almost all the same, so I just wrote the weight on each one. Now when I need pure, I just grab the appropriate amount. It was perfectly clean and did not need all that fluxing & cleaning.

Good purchase.

bangerjim

TCLouis
05-17-2014, 09:22 PM
Plywood blade mounted backwards in a circular saw.

Cut over a tarp or something to catch the chips.

May need some paraffin on the blade surface occasionally

Walter Laich
05-17-2014, 11:47 PM
I got everything I need to cut the lead except...
the lead:sad:

zuke
05-18-2014, 06:56 AM
Plywood blade mounted backwards in a circular saw.

Cut over a tarp or something to catch the chips.

May need some paraffin on the blade surface occasionally

Put the blade in normally and it'll cut faster and wont work the motor so much

jonp
05-18-2014, 07:59 AM
An abrasive metal blade will make short work of that.

Down South
05-18-2014, 09:51 AM
I've cut a lot of sheet lead. I use a skilsaw with a carbide tipped blade. Saws through it like butter.

Pinsnscrews
05-18-2014, 02:48 PM
Heavy duty paper cutter. It is only 1/4 thick. Run a chain loop off the handle to knee height. Load the lead, pull don handle, put foot in loop and step down....

Springfield
05-18-2014, 03:03 PM
Razor knife and then tear them. This stuff is soft. No muss, no fuss.

bangerjim
05-18-2014, 03:21 PM
It is absolutely amazing how many "Rube Goldberg" ideas we come up with on here! OMG!!!!!

bangerjim

a.squibload
05-18-2014, 03:43 PM
I had some sheet lead, Chuck Norris came by, stared at it 'til it fell to pieces...

(PS: the razor knife works if Chuck is not available.)

JonB_in_Glencoe
05-18-2014, 03:47 PM

Yep, this is how I do sheet lead.
Score with a utility knife and bend back and forth a couple times.

Down South
05-18-2014, 08:36 PM
I usually fold it about four times, flatten it out with one on the front wheels of my tractor then cut into chunks that will fit into my cleaning pot with a Skilsaw.....

Super Sneaky Steve
05-18-2014, 09:30 PM
Before he spends a lot of money on Tin try casting some pure lead and powder coating the boolits. I've been doing it with my hollow points and it works well. No lead in the barrel and they shoot as good as anything.

bangerjim
05-18-2014, 10:02 PM
Before he spends a lot of money on Tin try casting some pure lead and powder coating the boolits. I've been doing it with my hollow points and it works well. No lead in the barrel and they shoot as good as anything.

Sn is not used for hardness......it is used to lower the surface tension of the molten lead to get 100% fill-out of the mold cavities. Something many casters cannot get pure lead to do at normal casting temps. A little Sn cures a whole raft of sins!

Everybody needs some Sn......unless you are shooting BP RB's

banger

Jayhawkhuntclub
05-19-2014, 10:39 AM

Yeah, I can't imagine using a power saw on that stuff. My choice would have been a hachet or axe. I bet the razor knife would work well though.

tygar
05-19-2014, 01:18 PM
Hey guys, I tried all the above to cut that stuff & found a old electric chain saw just went thru like hot knife thru butter. Very easy.

Frank V
05-19-2014, 05:26 PM
Boy wish I had 600lbs of pure lead to play with.
Congratulations