PDA

View Full Version : copper screen uses?

labradigger1
05-17-2014, 06:17 AM
I bought 4lbs of copper screen from a local recycler yesterday. Just couldnt stand to see it scrapped. Now i dont know what to do with it.
Screen is the same mesch as window screen w/ square holes. I use copper chore boy for getting the lead out so i dont need it for that.
Aside from flyswatters, window screen or a faraday cage does anyone have any ideas for usage in practical applications?
They also had about 500#'s of .002 copper flashing in about 12" coils. This stuff is amazingly heavy, i could slide it a little on the floor but just. To thin for gas checks i think. Hard to see it scrapped as well.
So what say you fellow casters, any suggestions?
Lab

kbstenberg
05-17-2014, 08:20 AM
The screen could be used by the guys PC.
The rolled stuff could passably be used for PB GC. Kevin

Beagle333
05-17-2014, 08:28 AM
You might could double it up for PB GC's. Soda cans are .004 and they work well, but I prefer .006 sheets if I'm buyin' it.
But some guys double up cola cans and are happy with the results, so I know that two sheets of .002 would punch just fine.

I agree that the screen is too cool to just toss away....... but I can't think of what to do with it. I'd prolly make a neat looking cricket box. I use a lot of crickets. :D
http://i613.photobucket.com/albums/tt214/shutupandjump/more%20pics/downsized_0428121016_zps4b768299.jpg

375RUGER
05-17-2014, 08:30 AM
the .002 would make good shim stock or possibly be used for inlays. Might also be able to use it in some jewelry making, I'll ask a friend if he thinks it would.

labradigger1
05-17-2014, 08:45 AM
the .002 would make good shim stock or possibly be used for inlays. Might also be able to use it in some jewelry making, I'll ask a friend if he thinks it would.

Never thought of shim stock. Good idea, now what to do with the other 499.87 lbs. Lol
Lab

starmac
05-17-2014, 04:17 PM
How thick and tough is the screen, could it be useful to the guys making black powder??

labradigger1
05-17-2014, 04:34 PM
How thick and tough is the screen, could it be useful to the guys making black powder??

If memory serves the wire it is made from was .011 diameter. Screen was pretty tough. Not really looking to sell, just could'nt stand to see it scrapped.
IDK, perhaps sell or trade. It is not rolled but folded. Could probably get 10"x12" pieces out of all of it.
lab

merlin101
05-17-2014, 04:34 PM
I used some brass window screen to "bug proof" the vents on my motor home. The window all have nylon screens but the vents for the hot water heater furnace and fridge were all just louvers and hornets and wasps would get in there. So now it can sit all summer without becomeing a bee hive.
Put some of it on flebay in the camper section $4. a sq ft. sounds about right.;)

Smoke4320
05-17-2014, 05:07 PM
cross voltage screen for a continuum transfunctioner

Duckiller
05-17-2014, 05:16 PM
I have two sons and a daughter that would go baliatic if I bought that screen without a specific use well planned out. They are in the process of cleaning up my garage and a general cleanup of the property. They have issued the edict that"if you buy something and bring it home you must get rid of something of the same size". In fairness to our children my wife and I are a bit of hoarders and keep too much stuff that we will probably never use. I.e. Gold bars are good if you are going to use them as an investment. If you are just going to leave them in the garage and trip over them once or twice a week you should probably get rid of them, for a reasonable price.

labradigger1
05-17-2014, 07:57 PM
Hey duck killer, i'll trade you for some gold bars, hee heee. Point taken though.

catmandu
05-17-2014, 10:18 PM
Brass screen can be useful for a few things.

Cover half the opening on a minnow bucket, so you can pour out water a not minnows.

Lewis lead remover uses it. Offer a square for sale to those that use them.

The Powder Coat group would want it to make trays that the charge lead can be clipped to the size of a toaster over.

Connect an old crank generator to a piece and go fishing.

Use the same setup by the pool to get a rise out of them when they sit on it.

We use it as shim stock in a filter stank so it doesn't get stuck in the bottom of the housing.

Paul in WNY

williamwaco
05-17-2014, 10:21 PM
Primary "patch" used in the Lewis Lead Remover.
This is a very effective revolver cleaning tool that has been popular for at least 50 years.

MaryB
05-17-2014, 11:12 PM
Make a 4x8 foot box 6 inches deep. Insulate the bottom and sides. Make 2 tapered boards that go from 2" to 4" and place on each side of the box on top of the insulation, 2 inch end down. Paint the screen black with high temp paint and staple it in the box on the tapered boards. add a shim stock on top then a second layer of painted screen. At the bottom of the box make a hole for a 4 inch heat vent that goes through the screen to the front. at the top make a 4 inch hole that stays behind the screen for the exit vent. Put some clear plastic sheet over the front, hang it on a south wall and presto, you just made a solar room heater. Use a large computer case fan to move air through it.

schutzen
05-18-2014, 09:19 AM
I use a 24" X 36" screen bottomed tray to dry shot and cases after washing. A copper screen would last for years, unlike the galvanized screen I use.

contender1
05-18-2014, 11:18 AM
Copper screening is also used a lot in the repairs to homes where small chewing critters like to enter. (Squirrels, mice etc.) Pack the gaps & holes with the screen material & seal with silicone.

AlaskanGuy
05-18-2014, 11:25 AM
I think it would be great for corning BLack Powder??? I would have to take a look at it, but sounds great... +1 star...

Dale in Louisiana
05-18-2014, 02:03 PM
Faraday cage material. You can use it to replace your tinfoil hat with material that gives better ventilation.

dale in Louisiana

dbosman
05-19-2014, 10:02 PM
Lewis lead remover is the first thing that came to mind.
Second thing was "are you sure it's copper"? Some is bronze or brass. Value changes accordingly.
If the screening is is in reusable shape some restoration people will want it for historical accuracy.

labradigger1
05-20-2014, 04:35 AM
Lewis lead remover is the first thing that came to mind.
Second thing was "are you sure it's copper"? Some is bronze or brass. Value changes accordingly.
If the screening is is in reusable shape some restoration people will want it for historical accuracy.
Definately copper, looks like copper, smells like copper. Looks like a shiny penny.

akajun
05-20-2014, 11:09 AM
Sell it to your local pest control man. They sell a copper mesh to insert in your weep holes on brick homes to prevent mice from crawling in them. Steel wool rusts away and stains the mortar, copper mesh, balled up and stuffed in the hole, just turns brown and stays there forever. To do my 3k sq ft home cost me about 30 bucks.

Dale in Louisiana
05-20-2014, 02:53 PM
You need a little corner of it rolled up in a ball to run a crack pipe...

dale in Louisiana

jmsj
05-20-2014, 03:08 PM
Primary "patch" used in the Lewis Lead Remover.
This is a very effective revolver cleaning tool that has been popular for at least 50 years.

I don't know exactly what you have but I buy a 36" X 30' roll of this about every 2 years for work. When new it does look like it is copper but it is actually a bronze alloy.
I save some of the old screening and clean it a citric acid solution so it looks new and use it like Lewis Lead Remover patches. Works great for cleaning leaded up bores.
Good luck, jmsj

Harter66
05-21-2014, 04:46 PM
+1 for BP corning , I just built my 1st set up. The 4th pound will be worth it.