PDA

View Full Version : Improved Marlin 1895 Trigger Pull

RG1911
05-16-2014, 12:09 PM
While I had my older (micro-groove) Marlin 1895 disassembled to radius the sharp edges around the loading port, and ease the loading gate spring, I smoothed out the hammer and sear. (The hammer notch was rough and the trigger sear wasn't flat.)

I wish I had checked the trigger pull before, because it's now at a consistent and crisp 3.75-4.0 pounds according to my RCBS trigger pull gauge.

I can quit looking at ads for improved replacement triggers.

Richard

dubber123
05-16-2014, 12:35 PM
Somewhere lost in the back pages here, I did a write up with pics on fixing Marlin lever gun triggers. It's easy, free, and not hard to get down in the 2.5# range, using the full power factory springs. You can go lighter, but thats where I set all of mine. Their sear grinding leaves a bit to be desired sometimes.

RG1911
05-16-2014, 12:54 PM
Somewhere lost in the back pages here, I did a write up with pics on fixing Marlin lever gun triggers.

Found it, but the pictures are gone.

Since it's not one of my benchrest or long-range match rifles, I'm happy to leave it where it is. The only other thing I might do is have my 'smith case-harden the sear and hammer surfaces, in case the factory hardening doesn't go clear through. (He has the old stuff from Brownell's that I've read works better than the environmentally-safe compounds you can get now.)

Cheers,
Richard

dubber123
05-16-2014, 08:08 PM
Found it, but the pictures are gone.

Since it's not one of my benchrest or long-range match rifles, I'm happy to leave it where it is. The only other thing I might do is have my 'smith case-harden the sear and hammer surfaces, in case the factory hardening doesn't go clear through. (He has the old stuff from Brownell's that I've read works better than the environmentally-safe compounds you can get now.)

Cheers,
Richard

It probably wouldn't hurt, but I don't think they are surface hardened, and in fact I don't recall any of the sears I have worked with other than S&W's being very hard at all. Most cut easily with a file. The member who shared the trigger tuning tips had set his to not much more than a pound for lever action silhouette shooting, and says it was still holding fine after a lot of shooting. I agree with you, 3.75# is MUCH better than most are delivered with.

DR Owl Creek
05-17-2014, 01:28 PM
The "Happy Trigger" from Wild West Guns in Alaska will give you a nice crisp 3 lb release. It doesn't cost a lot either. Brownells has them.

Dave

Jailer
05-17-2014, 10:05 PM
The "Happy Trigger" from Wild West Guns in Alaska will give you a nice crisp 3 lb release. It doesn't cost a lot either. Brownells has them.

Dave

I can second this and it has zero creep.

dubber123
05-18-2014, 10:41 AM
The only thing I can see that would make me purchase an aftermarket trigger would be one to eliminate the Marlin trigger flop. That doesn't bother me, and I get a clean, creep free trigger for free, and I like them in the 2-2.5# range anyways. It is nice to have drop in trigger options now though.