PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of getting out of reloading and casting

Ajax
05-16-2014, 05:00 AM
I am getting divorced. It should be final by the time i graduate in December. I am gonna be moving back to Texas and i am gonna have to move light. I am thinking of selling all of my casting and reloading set-up and brass and start over once i get to Texas. What do yall think?

Andy

Beagle333
05-16-2014, 05:24 AM
I'm thinking I could probably sell everything I've collected, and reinvest much more smartly in a few nice pieces of equipment and choice molds, and have a better, easier-to-manage setup for almost the same money. You might be improving your life. :-D

Oh... except for my lead. That is practically irreplaceable these days at current pricing. I'd have to just trailer my lead and tin along with me. It wouldn't be travelling light then.... but it's gotta come. ;)

762sultan
05-16-2014, 05:46 AM
Do you have someone in the area who you would trust to store your stash until you could come back for it? It seems a shame to disperse everything that you have collected. Some things can be easily replaced but others might be more difficult. Either way I hope it works out for you. Good luck.

azrednek
05-16-2014, 06:15 AM
Will cost much more replacing it than it will moving it. If you have a trusted friend or family in Texas. Pack it up and ship it to them if you don't have the room to carry it with you.

slim1836
05-16-2014, 06:18 AM
Ship it to me, I'm in TX (Fort Worth area), pick it up on your way through.

Slim

bobthenailer
05-16-2014, 06:39 AM
I also went through a divorce many years ago ! although reloading & casting might be at the top of the list of things to do at this time ? i would pack everything up and ship it to TX even if it would cost $100.00, replacing that equipment & componets would cost you alot more in the long run and thats if its avaliable ?

Paul Tummers
05-16-2014, 07:01 AM
Try to store it somewhere, never a good idea to sell under pressure of whatshowever. You always can make a good decision when you are settled again and can take time to sort out what you want to keep and what you want to sell.

Garyshome
05-16-2014, 07:07 AM
I like this line of thought....and reinvest much more smartly in a few nice pieces of equipment and choice molds. You can pack stuff up and ship it to Texas. USPS flat rate boxes/UPS. Keep the good stuff!

Ajax
05-16-2014, 07:11 AM
I am thinking of selling all of it and putting the money into a fund to buy a motorhome. That way when i get to Texas i don't have to live off of family till i get my finances straight and can get a house.

Andy

Wis. Tom
05-16-2014, 07:51 AM
Andy, I am praying for you in this troubling time. God bless. Hope you find a peace in all of this, step back, and think things through before acting.

375RUGER
05-16-2014, 08:17 AM
I've been divorced and jobless and ........
Never did the thought cross my mind to get rid of my loading stuff. I shutter at the thought if I had to start from scratch now. If my stuff was pretty much cheap junk anyway then I could see it, but to try replace what I've invested ...NO.
Now if that job in TX is a nice fat one and money is no object, that's another story.

Porterhouse
05-16-2014, 08:43 AM
I am also praying for you, Andy. It depends on how much those stuff mean to you. If they were big part of your life and brought you smile many times in the past, keep them. If on the other hand you think you can live without, then sell them and get money. Cash may not make you happy but helps you not to go to deeper trouble.

Ajax
05-16-2014, 08:46 AM
i agree. They don't mean a lot to as they are only material possessions but they did bring me a lot of smiles. At this point and time i feel the need for a home i will always have is important to me. I can live in it till i get my finances in order and put money away to buy a house. I value the opinions of members here is why i asked and i would like to draw from the experience base here which is immense to make my decision.

Andy

Petrol & Powder
05-16-2014, 08:46 AM
Making decisions based on emotion instead of logic is generally a poor idea. I think you have to ask yourself, "how much money can I realistically obtain from the sale of my equipment". Notice the question is NOT, "how much is it worth"; it's value is what someone else will give you for it not what you think the value is.
You clearly have a plan (motorhome, move to Texas, get a house) and it's good to have a plan. You will have to decide if selling your reloading equipment will generate enough money to make a viable contribution to that goal. I don't know how much equipment you have and how much money you will need. I suspect if you want to replace that equipment someday you'll end up with a losing equation if you sell it off now.

There's nothing wrong with divesting yourself of "stuff" in order to move forward at a difficult point in your life. In fact, that may be a logical way to achieve a goal. In the end, it really is just "stuff". However, those types of decisions should be based on logic and not emotion.
Take some time to think about what you want to achieve. Good Luck.

DeanWinchester
05-16-2014, 09:05 AM
Here's a thought to chew on; One me and the wife have seriously considered.

Depending on the quality of the motor home you are capable of obtaining, why bother with a static house at all? Unless you're trying to load and cast for a dozen different calibers, you can make a VERY tidy little reloading set up that would store easily.
Being as you have family in Texas, you have the means for a reliable mailing address. Divorce is a very life altering thing. Why not be patient. Don't immediately tie yourself down to anything, anyone or anywhere. God made a LOT cool stuff in the borders of our country. Have you seen it all? Who's to say where your happiness will be found.

Also, if you have some really high end, hard to find pieces in your reloading set up, I will bet there are some members here that would gladly be a pawnbroker for a time. If you have something I could really use, I'd gladly buy it with an option of selling it back to you (NOT for a profit either!)

Lots of options and decisions. Be sure to weigh each one of them carefully.

DeanWinchester
05-16-2014, 09:09 AM
...and another thing I just thought of, small rental storage facilities are ubiquitous and reasonable.
Would your people in Texas not set one up for you then receive and store packages as you send them? THEN, when the dust settles you can go from there.

WILCO
05-16-2014, 09:12 AM
I am thinking of selling all of my casting and reloading set-up and brass and start over once i get to Texas. What do yall think?

Andy

I wouldn't start over with reloading and casting in today's America.
Keep what you have, dump all else.
Sorry to read of a divorce. Be strong, keep your john zipped and avoid women for 5 years.
You'll thank me in 10.

Get this book too:

Ajax
05-16-2014, 09:12 AM
I have lee loaders for all my calibers. i can load with them. I have been debating this since December and i haven't considered this lightly but like i said i want opinions from those who are smarter and more experienced than me. I appreciate all the ones so far. i have a lot more to chew on and think about thank you all.

Andy

DeanWinchester
05-16-2014, 09:17 AM
Be strong, keep your john zipped and avoid women for 5 years.
You'll thank me in 10.

Confucius never composed wiser words!!!
If don't have one already; After you get where you're going, hit the pound, get a dog.

Ajax
05-16-2014, 09:22 AM
i am not worried about women at all. Not even on my radar. A dog is a must when i get home or a cat lol.

Andy

CWME
05-16-2014, 09:39 AM
If it were me I would cut everything that I always wanted to upgrade and get rid of that. Components and tools would stay.

DeanWinchester
05-16-2014, 09:40 AM
Cats are the epitome of indifference. Any affection usually come with hidden motives.

The three highest levels of love:
- Gods love for his children
- A mothers love for her children
- a dogs love for his master

....and the margins are pretty tight.

searcher4851
05-16-2014, 09:40 AM
Sorry to hear about your problems. Been there done that.
As far as the storage facility, I did that myself. That's how I ended up buying new reloading equipment. My storage facility got burglarized and I was cleaned out.
If you're dead set on the motorhome, I can understand your desire to downsize your equipment stash. You can have just as much enjoyment with new equipment when the time comes. Just may have to alter your process if you switch equipment is all. I have no idea what, or how much equipment you have but it sounds like you're more interested in getting your new life started than you are attached to your "stuff".
I wish you luck and happiness in your new life. Take care and God bless.

P.S. I vote for a dog.

flyingmonkey35
05-16-2014, 10:31 AM
Andy

Sorry to hear about your troubles.

A lot of good advice here. I can tell you this. Once sold it will be years and years before you get it back.

Sounds like you got family friends in Texas. Ship stuff down to them in advance if you don't have the room.

Off load the lead for quick cash. We will buy it off ya.

As for the motorhome do it. You won't reget that decision. If you have a place you can hook up to even better.

Good luck and let us know if you need help along the way.

I'm in Utah.

Teddy (punchie)
05-16-2014, 11:08 AM
Andy

Sorry to hear this.

Women can be a gift from God, or an angle from hell. Hope it all ends on speaking terms.

That said maybe better to sell anything not needed. Keep what you need. Turn other items into cash. Markets on loading items are still high. Auction in New Stanton items were high. Not sure if that would be an idea to take to auction, maybe one of the gun sales at Rogers's sale. Bear boys, I think Wade, Ken's son runs them. I tell you they are all standup people, grow up with played with Bill,Ken when we were young. Some 30-35 years ago. If you need I can help you move the items, pay for gas is all I'll ask and if you hold off a few month and we get first cutting done I'll be there at auction to make sure you get a fair price. I'll bid it back in for you or buy it out right. Brass,books, loading equipment. Always can be sold here. Loaded ammo is selling, very well, guns are high at auctions. Feel free to PM ant time. I can and will help any way I can.

jsizemore
05-16-2014, 06:48 PM
I would simplify things and pick my best shooting rifle, shotgun, and handgun and whatever it takes to load and shoot them to feed and protect myself. Ease to load and availability of components is a must. Whatever it takes to load at the range will fit in your motorhome. No regrets when SHTF. Good Luck with the future.

Love Life
05-16-2014, 06:53 PM
I'd sell everything that's replaceable.

Cornbread
05-16-2014, 10:39 PM
Hey Andy, my name's Andy too. I've been divorced twice and married three times. The third one stuck :) Here is what I did and it was the best decision of my life. I sat down after my divorce and wrote out a list of what was really important to me that I never want to live without. It ended up being, God, my kids, hunting, fishing, trapping and backpacking. I went through everything I owned and if it wasn't essential to my living and doing those things I sold it, gave it away, or threw it away. I moved into a rented 400sq ft cabin up in the woods and further reduced until I only had absolutely the things that really mattered to me and would fit in that space, including a room and toys etc. for my kids. Everything I kept could fit in a little trailer I rented from U-haul that pulled nicely behind a little compact car. I stayed in that cabin until I had saved up enough money for a house down payment. It took several years but I did it, and I started rebuilding from there. It was my chance at a do over. Not sure how old you are but it sounds like you are getting the same chance. Don't waste it. If your reloading stuff is important to who you really are as a person then keep it. Mine was part of the trailer load that made my cut. I've had much of it since I was a teen. Take this opportunity to simplify and concentrate on what is really important to you. Cut loose everything that is not a definite "yes, that is essential to me".

MaryB
05-16-2014, 10:54 PM
Sell what is real excess and easy to replace. Buy your motor home and a small enclosed trailer to turn into your mobile reloading shop/other workshop for whatever tools you have. That way you can move it with you and always have it to use when you stop.

kopperl
05-16-2014, 10:55 PM
Andy, here is an offer for you. Box the stuff up and I'll pay to ship it to me. You can claim it when you can. It can be stored in side for as long as necessary.
Bill

DeanWinchester
05-16-2014, 11:12 PM
^^^ Dang! That's a serious offer

RogerDat
05-16-2014, 11:14 PM
Buying new and selling used is generally going to cost you money, unless you purchased used yourself. The reloading tools are tools that allow you to do something. If you still want to do that you will still need the tools. I guess if you accumulated lots of second hand or less than high quality tools it might make sense to sell the accumulation and invest in only the tools experience has taught you serve your needs best.

Not dating 5 years is a bit over kill to my way of thinking. Taking the time to get your new life together and on track is the important thing. Can't successfully share your life with someone until you have created and are living what you figure is the kind of life you want to live and share. It takes awhile to really find a comfort level with a new life when things change as much as they do in a divorce.

On the other hand Jack Daniels and on the rebound is a sure recipe for lousy relationship choices. Don't ask, just take my word for it.

Recluse
05-16-2014, 11:45 PM
My opinion is going to differ from most others, I reckon.

One, a motorhome will eat you alive in maintenance and upkeep after a while if you're thinking a Class A or Class C. Fuel costs are steep as well as they are simply not efficient in any sense of the word.

We've had two renters in the past three years on the other side of our airplane hangar (5500 square feet duplex hangar with dividing wall). The first had his large fifth-wheel parked inside and hooked up. The second had a Class C parked inside and hooked up. (We have several 220V outlets on the back wall and the hangar is completely plumbed including hot water heater and sewage.)

Both guys were constantly having to do one thing or another to their RVs--I mean, it was non-stop. It also wasn't cheap.

Second thing is that RVs depreciate faster than even boats. You'll never get your money back on one.

Third, trying to insure one can be a challenge and expensive. Insuring for contents is very expensive down here.

Fourth, this is Texas. Our weather and motorhomes don't always get along so well. Tornadoes and hurricanes aside, lose your a/c between May and November and you're living in a broiler until you can get it fixed.

As a primary domicile, a motorhome is not a great choice--especially for someone either starting out or starting over.

Were I in your boots, I'd opt for a small efficiency apartment or garage apartment or anything that has a landlord responsible for maintenance and repairs and upkeep. Depending on where you land down here, such places are easy to find and relatively inexpensive. Also, you can check the bulletin boards of the area VFW and AmLeg posts. Lots of retired vets down here and lots of widows of vets down here who have a room to rent or an apartment or garage apartment to rent and who will give a good deal to a (fellow) veteran.

As far as selling your reloading equipment? Again, I wouldn't. You're going through enough life-changing events as it is. Reloading and casting is a comfort zone. A known activity, a sense of normalcy that also provides you with something even more important--a self-reliant, independent feeling of accomplishment and confidence.

You're probably going to experience some significant emotional mood swings. Having your casting and reloading equipment is like having an old friend who's never let you down. What's more, it's practical because it DOES produce ammunition. You might even be able to do some bartering once down here for new friends--you provide the ammo, they provide the range fees. Or, you make the ammo and they treat you to dinner. Etc etc.

The cost of replacing what you have will also be far more expensive than what you might anticipate. You can always sell off some equipment if you find yourself in really dire straits because they'll always be buyers.

But to sell off viable equipment that produces a viable product in order to buy a money pit on wheels. . . I'd think about that one pretty hard. I just sold my boat earlier this month. In the last ten years, it had cost me over $15,000 just in storage costs alone. Routine and preventive maintenance along with registration fees and taxes over that same period of time was another $8000. EVERYTHING related to RVs and boats is way expensive.

Just my two cents.

:coffee:

starmac
05-16-2014, 11:49 PM
As far as the loading and casting stuff, if they are not important to you, or you don't plan to use them for a few years sell them and put the money where ever you need it, or just get rid of everything excess to your needs. Probably most of us could get rid of quite a bit without it really hurting our ability to do anything. lol

If I was planning on living in it, I would go with a travel trailer over a motor home any day, and unless I was planning on moving it a bunch, or actually using it for camping, I would go with a park model instead of a travel trailer. Their usually cheaper to start with and less maintenance by far.

bangerjim
05-17-2014, 12:25 AM
Come on man.......it's in your blood!!!!!!!!!!

Just put all the loading stuff in a couple boxes, label them so you can find them, and be done with it. There will be room in the truck/van/car for it. Unless you are EXTREMELY desperate for the money, it will more than likely cost you FAR more down the road to replace it. And you will kick yourself for selling it too cheap in a moment of "loss of sanity" back when......

I have hauled stuff all over this country for 30 years and am very glad I did. Most is not replaceable because it the "good stuff" made like it was back in the day. Not the cheap garbage you find today for tools, etc.

Do what your wallet whispers you........but follow your heart!

bangerjim

tommag
05-17-2014, 12:49 AM
One thing nobody has mentioned yet is tires. Most rvs have tires with great tread, but the rubber is weather checked. If you go the rv route, look for the dot number on the sidewalls. The first two digits indicate the week of the year, the second two indicate the year of manufacture. Blowing tires and having them replaced on the side of the road is expensive. I would never trust a tire more than seven years old.
I presently live in a small trailer I bought for next to nothing. I hate it, but it'll do for the time being. I understand your wanting a home that's yours, I went through the same emotions myself. I had an emptiness that nothing seemed to fill. I kept all my tools and supplies, seems like a good move now, in light of current shortages.
Recluse is spot on about maintenance and repairs.
Good luck to you, its going to be an emotional rollercoaster.

Catshooter
05-17-2014, 02:02 AM
Andy,

Put this thought into your calculations. Only you can decide what's right for you.

Hilary is going to run for President. When she starts the process, the shortages will start back up.

If she gets nominated, the shortages will swing into high gear.

If she wins she'll be in office from 2016 to 2020. Maybe 2024. Is that a time you want to be replacing what you've sold? If it's even possible, just think what the prices would be like.

Good luck with whatever you do.

Cat

trapper9260
05-17-2014, 07:05 AM
Sorry to hear what is going on ,I would not sell the stuff you are talking about.In 1995 I have move cross country.and the things that I never think of selling is guns and reloading and trapping things.In 1995 I have move 5 times that was not plan on to but it happened and that is the things I would not give up and now i am good and still have the use of the things and also have gotten more.You have some here willing to help take there offer.that way you can do what you need to do and after you will have your things to get later.Like others stated the times to come you do not know how things will really be and this is a new country.But that is what is on my mind for what is going on for you , but the best of luck of what you do after.Keep us up to date .thank you

762 shooter
05-17-2014, 07:27 AM
Andy,

It will get better.

Make a quick list of the reloading items and make a REALISTIC estimate of how much money they would bring in. If that amount will make a noticeable difference in your quality of life in the short run, then sell them.

If the amount is immaterial to your survival (which I suspect), don't sell.

Geraldo
05-17-2014, 07:38 AM
I'm with Recluse.

At the top of the list of things I would never own is a motorhome. Think of the different systems you have to maintain: all the normal vehicular stuff such as tires, automotive electric, drive train, etc. Then add another electric system, plumbing for clean and gray water, AC, LP. A small apartment is the way to go.

Two thoughts about selling your stuff:
1-It's just stuff, and as such isn't all that important in life.
2-You already bought it. It doesn't eat anything. If you bought it new you're going to take it in the shorts selling it, then take it in the shorts again when you buy new stuff.

When my wife and I moved down here we brought a truckload of ****, a lot of which has been replaced over the years we've been here.

What I would take the time to move again (other than clothes, day to day stuff, sentimental things): guns, tools, loading equipment.
What I would sell and replace: furniture, appliances, and gun safes.

Finally, you max out on the stress scale right now: divorce, graduate, moving. It wouldn't hurt to talk to a counselor about what's going on in your life. Not that they'll offer advice on what to do, but an outside observer might help you make good decisions.

Lance Boyle
05-17-2014, 08:16 AM
Sorry for your troubles.

If you really need the cash, do what you have to do. Otherwise I'd just pare down any extras, duplicates, stuff you intend to upgrade anyhow.

I haven't been through the big D but I have moved half a dozen times for work in the last 18 years. My last place was a little shoebox of a rental in a duplex. My spare bedroom was packed full of hunting, fishing, and much reloading gear. I had a lot of stuff to move, more hobby stuff than furniture. (a lot of furniture was beat and I junked it or gave a lot away). Go through your stuff, lighten your load. Keep the good stuff I say, even if it goes in storage. I've done that too, left boxes with relatives and was out of the reloading hobby for up to 2 years at a time. It was nice to rediscover what I had in boxes, my gear was decent rCBS stuff from the 80's. I would rather have it than most new stuff. I have more presses now than I should and the last move was a heavy one with stockpiles of bullets. I knew I could profit greatly if I sold off my match bullets but who knows when if ever prices would come back down. I kept them as they eat nothing sitting there. I did give some stuff away to a very nice coworker who was interested in getting set up. In fact i gave him that newest lee manual that many of us bought here. I didn't want to give him just out dated stuff.

Another point, moving is a great time to go through your stuff and get rid of the stuff you haven't touched in 4-5 years. I had stuff in boxes from previous moves that I never opened. I went through most of that stuff and chucked a lot of the contents, some was damaged from heat in the garage, kept the keepsakes.

On the flipside, if you're loading on an alloy Lee you're not in love with, by all means sell it off and get yourself a nice Rockchucker/Big Boss/Forster Co-Ax when you're settled. Could be a good time to upgrade.

I'm another that shook my head at buying the motorhome, it's a depreciating asset that will only hinder your finanial situation. What do they get? 4 miles to the gallon? You want to pay that all the way to TX from PA? A Uhaul or Ryder would be much cheaper in the end.

Only you can decide what's right for you and I wish you the speediest recovery.

doc1876
05-17-2014, 08:58 AM
Andy,
I hope you don't mind me chiming in here, I don't know you, but you seem like a good guy. Don't buy the MH. I had one, and it cost me a fortune (of course so did the ex wife). So you see, I am comparing the two. Get a trailer, haul your stuff, and keep part of your life as sane as possible. only sell what you never intend to need, and then on your birthdays and xmases, buy your self a gift. this is real rewarding. I have been living this way since my D in 2000, and while there are times that I miss the old times, I know I am better off the way I am.
I got into reloading in the last 4 or so years, an it has been a real good mental healer. another reason to keep yours.

Good luck, and if you ever are in the St. Louis area, look me up. maybe we can go kill some paper together
Steve

MrWolf
05-17-2014, 10:32 AM
Don't sell and ship it to family/friends for storage. Remember we all paid next to nothing for all our stuff. If you sell the soon to be ex may find out what it really is worth and want her cut. I wouldn't sell as this hobby allows me relax - even thinking about what I can do helps. Hope everything works out for you.

Ron

JonB_in_Glencoe
05-17-2014, 11:48 AM
snip...
I am gonna be moving back to Texas and i am gonna have to move light. I am thinking of selling all of my casting and reloading set-up and brass and start over once i get to Texas. What do yall think? Andy

I wouldn't sell any gun/reloading/casting stuff...unless you have some 'excess' stuff, sell that.

I'm with Recluse in regards to RV's. I folks RV'ed from 1985 til about 2005. They went through several of them...they always needed repairs, my Dad could do some, but when he couldn't it was Big $$$ for them on their fixed retirement allowance.

Ajax
05-17-2014, 03:06 PM
Well i have reconsidered the Motorhome. Thank you gentlemen this is exactly why i asked here. I will put money away for a nice little apartment in Texas. Our divorce is mutual, I had a nervous break down in 2009. She helped me through that, bu I changed and I like who I am and she doesn't. Instead of me seeing her depressed all the time I love her enough to give her a divorce so she has the chance for happiness again. We are still best friends. We live together but I have to get back home where my family is. Please keep the info coming. I am selling just a few things to get somethings paid off and be better off when i get to Texas. Thank you guys for your input and please keep them going. Now the plans have changed my son might be going with me. So stress level up. lol

Andy

TXGunNut
05-17-2014, 03:09 PM
Don't know much about RV's but I know enough about the parts and repairs for them, no need for a money pit at this time in your life. Plenty of cheap housing here in TX if you go to the right place.
I can see an argument for selling off the surplus equipment and components but I'd keep the good stuff, pack it up and ship it if need be. I ship heavy stuff all over the country and it's not all that expensive if you know what to do.
From what I hear the big D is a bad time, don't take it out on the things you enjoy. If I sold all my reloading and casting stuff I'd have to buy a TV or something stupid like that!
Hang in there, look me up if you settle in my neck of the woods and we'll go shooting.

tonyjones
05-17-2014, 05:37 PM
Andy,

Check out tumbleweedhouses.com. All of their smaller models are intended to be built on a trailer. Several of their designs have a sleeping loft (for someone with young knees). You can build it when you get here. Later, you can sell it or move it to hunting/fishing camp.

Keep a basic hand loading set-up and sell what is surplus. Get rid of old furniture and appliances and clothing you have not worn in 10+ years. During my last move I filled up a mid-size Salvation Army truck and applied the charitable contribution to my tax return. In my case the tax savings was more than I could have sold my stuff for.

If you end up in the Houston area I'll do whatever I can to help you out. For example, I'm pretty good with the dumb end of a tape measure. However, I will NOT hold nails while you drive them.

All the best,

Tony

Char-Gar
05-17-2014, 05:56 PM
I think you should do what you think you should do. If it is a good decision, then things will work well. If, it is a bad decision, then you will have learned a lesson in decision making. I see that as a win/win situation. Either way in 5 years it won't matter what you did about it, life will have moved on.

I quite advising people what to do many years ago. 99.99% of the time, they will do what the wanted to do all along. They are not asking for advise, they are asking for agreement and reinforcement.

starmac
05-17-2014, 06:09 PM
That could be Char-Gar, but sounds like advice may have talked him out of the Motorhome idea.
But I agree, do what you think you need to make life work for you, it isn't the same for any two people.

3006guns
05-17-2014, 06:09 PM
I didn't even read all the posts......when it comes to advice, everyone's got a suggestion or two and I'm no different.

1.) Lose any emotional attachment to your ex immediately. Learn some bitter ex-wife jokes that go over good. You WILL get over this in time, even though it seems like the end of the world. Tough to do, but you have to treat this whole thing as a business deal and make sure your interests are met. If you wimp out, you lose later on down the road.

2.) Think carefully about the motor home. They are expensive. They lose value quickly. They are expensive. They are nowhere as roomy as a small house. They are expensive. They sound like the answer to a prayer, until you start pining away for a real yard and driveway. Any money you tie up in one you could invest in a house, which will hold resale value and feel like a real home. Finally, they are expensive.

3.) Keep your stuff. At least one member on here has volunteered to accept delivery of it and store it until you get there. Consider it, as you will eventually find yourself saying "Gee, I wish I'd have kept that so and so.......". Only sell at your leisure, after you have time to consider everything.

4.) Go for the dog. You can talk to a dog and he'll stare back into your eyes, trying to understand you while he wags his tail. A cat will simply get bored and go out looking for trouble. Dogs have owners.....cats have staff. My lab's name was "Mauser" and he saved my emotional life. I will always be grateful for him.

Two time loser in the divorce arena here. I know of what I speak.

Wayne Smith
05-17-2014, 06:46 PM
One question that has not been asked yet. Andy, how satisfied are you with your current reloading equipment (not the Lee Loaders)? If you have a setup that works for you keep it, package it and ship it on ahead. If you have been dissatisfied with what you have and have been dreaming of another setup then sell what you don't want and, when you land, set up what you want. I personally would not be comfortable hauling a trailer cross country. If you have experience at such thats different. I would package and ship all that I could.

MaryB
05-17-2014, 11:30 PM
If you have a pickup an option would be a camper trailer. But a small apartment is better until you can find something like a trailer house in a nice park or out in the country

Blacksmith
05-18-2014, 12:12 AM
Andy

Keep the Lee Loaders with you because they take up little room and can be used almost anyplace. For the rest of the stuff build a strong wooden crate pack everything else in it then ship it Motor Freight (by truck) to a friend in TX. Shipping by truck is cheaper than most other ways and a wooden crate could hold everything until you are ready for it.

smokesahoy
05-18-2014, 01:02 AM
I have 3 presses. I find myself using the Lee hand press most of the time because it allows me to go anywhere to reload, up in the family room, in the office watching YouTube etc. If you do go the sell it all route keep this press in mind, it is utterly amazing, I'm so happy with mine.

leadman
05-18-2014, 02:20 AM
I have owned a travel trailer, slide in truck campers and currently a motor home. The motor home is the most expensive to maintain and fuel. I bought it so we can tow the boat behind it to the lake and just turn it off and go to sleep if needed when traveling out of state. A good used travel trailer like my son just bought would probably accomodate what you want to do. His is 26' long with 2 bunks in the back and a front bedroom and a nice open kitchen/living area. You do need a vehicle capable of towing it.
If you get an RV and the tires are 4 to 6 years old I would replace them before you leave. Especially the tires on a dual axle trailer. These have to be the worst tires the industry produces.
If you had no other transportation than the motor home it would get to be expensive and a hassle to use it for going to work. With the trailer it could stay parked.
Wish you well in your move and settling in your new locale.

Fishman
05-18-2014, 09:31 AM
I have to agree 100% with Recluse.

I have a small camping trailer (19') and I spend more time and money fixing it than using it. And it is way less complex than a motorhome.

archmaker
05-18-2014, 07:42 PM
Andy, I once sold the pistols that I had to help my 1st wife and me to buy a house. That was over 20yrs ago, the house is gone, the guns are gone, and so is the wife. I cannot replace what I sold. I thought at the time they were not important to me that buying the house was more important, 20/20 hindsight shows I was wrong. From my first marriage, I regret that one decision the most.

If you sell anything, sell the stuff you think of as junk. Someone may buy it an you won't feel bad about selling it, just clearing out space. Shipping it to someone in Texas will be cheaper than buying it later . . . because guess what if you buy the replacement over the internet, you will be paying shipping anyway on top of the cost of the item. I still have my reloading equipment, it made the move with me several times, and let me ask you this question, are you ever going back to PA, if a road trip you may find a place to store it up there and each road trip get some to Texas.

I wish you the best of luck during this difficult time, been there a couple of times, and even if it is what you want it is not easy.

crazy mark
05-19-2014, 01:33 AM
Last divorce was over 33 years ago and I kept all my stuff. Didn't want to start over with guns, motorcycles, vehicles or minor reloading things I had. Eventually the motorcycles went away, Kept upgrading vehicles, bought more gun and casting stuff and quit smoking. The money saved from the cigarettes let me buy more ammo, reloading stuff and guns. If I had of got rid of all my stuff not sure what would have happened.

Lefty Red
05-19-2014, 03:11 AM
I had to, about 6 years ago. I sold or lost everything.
I started rebuying last year.
I got better stuff and didn't waste money on gadgets that wasn't needed.

I would at least keep one weapon and a Loader or a Hand Press setup for it. Its good to spoil yourself and shoot now and then. You can buy bullets til you get set up again.

Jerry

Ajax
05-19-2014, 06:39 AM
I am not selling nay of my guns and you guys have convinced me to keep the majority of my reloading and casting stuff. Thanks a ton, this is why i love my family here. Always looking out for each others best interest.

Andy

Dean D.
05-20-2014, 03:00 AM
You've gotten a lot of great advice here my friend. All I can tell you is this; the very last things I will ever sell are my guns and loading equipment. That being said, I'd have to be darned desperate to sell either of those!

You take care, I'm excited for you on your new start on life. :-P

starmac
05-20-2014, 02:32 PM
I have managed to go through life without ever having to sell my guns, did pawn some once to finance a move, but all in all have been lucky (or stubborn) on the subject.

That said if I was a Texan and somehow got misplaced in the north east, I would probably sell what ever it took to get back to Texas. lol Hope everything works out great form here on out.

pls1911
05-20-2014, 09:24 PM
I don't know what you do, but south Texas is busting at the seams with the oil shale development and production. If you can drive, you can gets a good paying job. At least it will help you get on your feet.
DFW area isn't bad either.
Keep your stash... And your guns.
Ship the reloading it to parents or friend to store...it's much better than starting over.

Ajax
05-21-2014, 09:06 PM
I am aviation electronics technician so I can work on any electronics.