PDA

View Full Version : 9mm minus primer!

trochilids
05-15-2014, 09:46 PM
I spent a couple hours this afternoon in the mountains at a nearby outdoor shooting site. I enjoy going there to gather any unpoliced brass and spent lead and just take in the scenery. Ended up with maybe a half gallon of mixed lead and brass.

Found several unfired bullets -- 22lr, of course, but also a couple 40 S&W and 45 ACP. I was surprised since usually I only find unfired 22lr. One 9 mm didn't quite fit any category, though, because while it had a bullet (jacketed round nose) and a speer case, there was no primer! I could shake powder out of the primer pocket (thin, round flakes). Thought that was interesting. Anyone want to guess whether or not it was a mistaken reload or a factory mistake? I can only imagine the shooter... BANG. BANG. CLICK. Uh??? Tap. Rack. BANG. BANG...

MT Gianni
05-15-2014, 09:50 PM
Shooter is my vote. A factory would have vibrated most of the powder out in the box which should have been noticed before loading.

chsparkman
05-15-2014, 09:53 PM
When running my LNL AP, I sometimes forget to push the arm forward to prime the current case, makes me want to kick myself every time, so that's probably what happened. Weird that it made it to the range though.

trochilids
05-15-2014, 10:03 PM
When running my LNL AP, I sometimes forget to push the arm forward to prime the current case, makes me want to kick myself every time, so that's probably what happened. Weird that it made it to the range though.

I've got a LNL AP that I haven't set up, yet. I need to kick that in mind. Thanks!

chsparkman
05-15-2014, 10:06 PM
I've got a LNL AP that I haven't set up, yet. I need to kick that in mind. Thanks!

You're gonna love it. It's a great piece of machinery you just have to keep your head in the process. Have fun.

kayak1
05-15-2014, 10:12 PM
It could have been a loose primer pocket in a reload. Last time I was looking for cases in my clubs brass bucket I found a dozen 9's that were brand new without a hit on the primer.

Garyshome
05-15-2014, 10:26 PM
My vote....mistaken reload!

beagle
05-15-2014, 11:33 PM
I'd go with a loose primer pocket in a reload. Guys are really bad about trying to get one more reload out of 9mms that have been shot too hot. They are the worst case going, IMO, for stretching primer pockets. I'm afraid I've been guilty of this myself so I shouldn't cast stones./beagle

Spawn-Inc
05-15-2014, 11:38 PM
i guess because i don't really shoot hot 9mm loads i've never had a loose primer pocket with brass cases. i have however had loose pockets on cci aluminum cases that the primer came out once being fired, but never had a primer fall out before firing.

oldfart1956
05-16-2014, 09:46 PM
I knew this guy....that while loading up a considerable pile of, I think it was .45 colt, loaded up a rather large number of rounds before he noticed a growing pile of Unique on the press, floor and bench. He then noticed that he had neglected that part of the process where one installs a primer. He then learned how to pull boolits. :) I'm just saying it's possible. Audie..the Oldfart..

Big Boomer
05-17-2014, 12:29 PM
It is doubtful that it was a factory load, but not impossible. When my son was at either Ft. Hood, TX., or Fort Sill, OK., he was firing an M16 at the range and had a misfire. He said they were instructed not to pick up or attempt to carry off any brass, etc. He ejected the misfired piece of 5.56 ammo and noted where it fell. Later he acted as though he was picking up a single piece but picked up the misfired cartridge and perhaps 1 or 2 additional pieces of spent brass. He said he looked at them and then acted as though he was tossing them all aside, but slipped the misfired round into his pocket and brought it home to me. The headstamp reads CJ and a date stamped opposite the CJ. What is so peculiar is the fact that there is no primer and no flash hole. The primer fired when he pulled the trigger and the spent primer fell out upon ejection. I keep that complete cartridge minus a primer and minus a flash hole to remind me to be careful when loading ammo. Big Boomer