PDA

View Full Version : 9mm Mauser boolits. (new member)

richj
01-09-2008, 11:37 PM
Hello

New member here. I do a bit of indoor bullseye shooting, we have a few member that cast their own 45 (cowboy) loads and black powder bullets.

So I'll start off with a question.

I've got a 9x57mm Mauser and a few boxes of Kynoch ammo for it that's not gonna last too long. I haven't slugged the bore yet, I'm hoping to get lucky that I'll be able to use 35 cal. (358) bullets. If not what I'd like to do is find a mold to cast some 9mm rifle bullets. Does anyone make a 9mm rifle bullet mold.

Thanks

Rich

some eye candy.

http://home.pipeline.com/~shootzg/rifles/octa-9x57-shelf-1.jpg

DeaconKC
01-09-2008, 11:52 PM
Hi Rich, Im new here too. Gorgeous old Mauser!

waksupi
01-10-2008, 12:01 AM
Rich, glad to see you joined us. I do believe you will enjoy the company. And, I'm sure the 9mm Mafia will show up shortly.

Please, tell us a bit about your rifle. It's a beaut!~

Check out the search function, loads of info here!

Ric Carter

richj
01-10-2008, 12:44 AM
It's a gunbroker find. Here's what I've been able to tell from the markings:

Action:

2,99 g GBP
St m G

These marks show 2,99 grams of Gewehr Blaettchen Pulver (military flake powder) and "St m G " Stahl-mantel Geschoss (steel jacketed bullet). Other possible types are "K m G" for Kupfer-mantel Geschoss (copper jacket) and "Bl G" for Blei Geschoss (plain lead bullet).

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Barrel

118/35 = April 28, 1935
usually accompanied with a crown-over-N or the word Nitro, specifying smokeless powder.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NVcurmudgeon
01-10-2008, 02:42 AM
Welcome to the board, and what a beautiful old Mauser. Is that a Redfield 2 3/4 X scope? I have one such on my .35 Whelen (9 X 63 in your Mauser's language.) My scope is at least 45 years old, and is marked: Redfield Bear Cub." It should not be too hard to find a suitable boolit. There is a world of good .35 cal. boolits, and sizer dies to make them match your barrel. Rate of twist would be another good thing to know.

Frank46
01-10-2008, 02:54 AM
Rich, better you sell off that kynoch ammo as you just might get a good return and use the bucks to get you loading dies and a mold. You just never know. Beautiful mauser. Frank

Leftoverdj
01-10-2008, 11:22 AM
You can almost certainly use .358 jacketed bullets. I might be a bit chary of monolithic bullets, but lead core bullets won't be problem even if the groove diameter is as tight as .355. You should be golden on cast bullets, too. You don't indicate your experience level with cast, but they are supposed to be a couple thous over groove diameter.

That rifle is scary gorgeous. The scary part is that it is absolutely crying out to be used and usd hard. Aside from that double set trigger, that's as good a rig for North American hunting as was ever put together.

9.3X62AL
01-10-2008, 11:49 AM
Slug or cerrosafe the throat to determine best start point for boolit diameter. If European-made, the barrel's land height can be TALL--my CZ-550 in 9.3mm has .007" lands (.366" x .352" Mauser 4-groove format). That could help if a bore-rider boolit is in the mix. Throating on my 9.3 is fairly deep, too--about 0.300" of free bore before the lands rise up.

My bit with the 9.3 involved use of the Mountain Molds online software to design a boolit to fit the rifle. Just a few tweaks to a design by "Eirik" at Accuratereloading.com got the job done, and it shoots GREAT.

There are a variety of mould designs available for the 358 Winchester and 35 Whelen that--if the bore dimensions are agreeable--will work very well in a 9 x 57 rifle.

One gorgeous rifle, sir! As mentioned above, it seems to shout "HUNT WITH ME!"

richj
01-10-2008, 10:25 PM
thanks everyone. I'll ordered the cerrosafe.

The scope is a Redfield 1.5x5