PDA

View Full Version : Zinc in WW. ?

45-70 Chevroner
05-15-2014, 10:06 AM
A friend, just starting into casting got some zinc mixed with his lead WW's. I cautioned him about it before he started but I guess he just didn't check close enough. I had this happen my self a long time ago probably in the mid 1980s. I ended up just throwing it out. My question is, is there anyway to get the zinc out? His pot was quite grainy.

RickinTN
05-15-2014, 10:16 AM
First question would be are you sure it's zinc? If so, it can be replaced with copper using copper sulphate. Look at the adding copper for stronger alloy thread for particulars on this procedure. I sort my wheel weights before smelting with some side-cutters to be sure it is lead however I also use a thermometer when smelting and casting. Keep the temp below the melting temperature of zinc and any missed zinc weights will float to the top and be skimmed off with the clips.
Good luck,
Rick

MrWolf
05-15-2014, 12:08 PM
From all my reading here I was extremely concerned with getting zinc in my mix. As such, I use the side cutters on every piece and also use a thermometer when smelting. Been lucky so far after smelting 750+lbs with no zinc.

osteodoc08
05-15-2014, 12:45 PM
Dump it all in and keep temp under or around 700. Stir and remove zinkers along with other crapola. GTG.

mikeym1a
05-15-2014, 01:35 PM
Yep, Keep the temps below 700, and zinc floats to the top. I sort mine, but, occasionally miss one. they float to the top, along with the clips and the occasional iron weight. But, you need a pot thermometer. mikey

45-70 Chevroner
05-15-2014, 04:37 PM
Thanks guys. I will show him how to tell the difference in them so it does not happen again, hopefully.

blikseme300
05-15-2014, 05:25 PM
The zinc problem is why I don't use a turkey fryer setup to render from WW's. I have an electrical unit controlled by a PID set at 700* that can render about 50lbs of WW's at a time. I use a stainless steel slotted spoon to scoop out the steel clips and any other non-Pb bits and pieces. The problem that remains and will still lead to zinc contamination is the recycled alloys that are often used for WW's are already contaminated by zinc.

fredj338
05-15-2014, 05:56 PM
If it will remelt, you can run the pot @ 650deg, the top will look like oatmeal. Flux with sawdust, pull off the sludge on top, repeat, YOu can get a lot of the zinc out that way, at least worked for me. Yes you may remove other alloy, but better than tossing 30-40# of alloy.

Shiloh
05-15-2014, 06:31 PM
Us WW scavengers/scroungers will see a LOT more zinc and iron than we used to. Good lead WW are going the way of surplus powder.

Shiloh

blikseme300
05-15-2014, 11:15 PM
I have yet to come across the elusive surplus powder I have read about and I have been buying lead and lead alloy every month from different sources, just in case.

olafhardt
05-15-2014, 11:45 PM
Carbohydrate fluxes oxidize the zinc but recover the desired metals. These fluxes include sawdust, sugar and grains and grain products, like grits, corn meal, chicken feed etc. This might require a lot of flux and repeated fluxxing. Stirr with a wooden stick. Air also helps remove zinc.

rhead
05-16-2014, 05:48 AM
Carbohydrate fluxes oxidize the zinc but recover the desired metals. These fluxes include sawdust, sugar and grains and grain products, like grits, corn meal, chicken feed etc. This might require a lot of flux and repeated fluxxing. Stirr with a wooden stick. Air also helps remove zinc.

Get the melt into an enameled pot and flux as above but add some salt also it will speed up the process. zinc chloride is more stable than lead chloride. It will corode a mild steel pan. good ventilation is needed.

fredj338
05-16-2014, 05:09 PM
I have yet to come across the elusive surplus powder I have read about and I have been buying lead and lead alloy every month from different sources, just in case.
I bought WC844 & WC846 in Nov 12, just after the elections. Everything was available then; all powders & all primers, most ammo. Will we ever get back to those "good ole days", depends on the 14 & 16 elections IMO. So vote, take someone with you to vote, & vote Rep. Sometimes it's about not voting for the bad guys with your head, instead of voting your heart, losing & letting the bg win.[smilie=b:

olafhardt
05-16-2014, 10:22 PM
Get the melt into an enameled pot and flux as above but add some salt also it will speed up the process. zinc chloride is more stable than lead chloride. It will corode a mild steel pan. good ventilation is needed.
Do you know the final resting place of the chlorine? I don't. Chlorine and chlorides also attack stainless. Is any of the chlorine or chloride left in the lead. I had a conceptual design to flux out zinc with chlorine but I wouldn't recommend it for home use. I see you are from Arkansas as am I. I don't know if it is still there but there used to be a plant at Haskell that purified molten aluminum with chlorine.

rhead
05-17-2014, 06:22 AM
Do you know the final resting place of the chlorine? I don't. Chlorine and chlorides also attack stainless. Is any of the chlorine or chloride left in the lead. I had a conceptual design to flux out zinc with chlorine but I wouldn't recommend it for home use. I see you are from Arkansas as am I. I don't know if it is still there but there used to be a plant at Haskell that purified molten aluminum with chlorine.

It will be in the dross as a mixture of Zinc Chloride, Lead Chloride, and Tin Chloride. Yes Chlorides will attack stainless at elevated temps. that is why i specified an enameled pot. The Sodium will react with the Co2 from the charcoal to form Sodium Carbonate.

milkman
05-17-2014, 07:11 AM
Olafhardt,
I live near Benton and the plant at Haskell has been gone for several years.

olafhardt
05-18-2014, 02:09 AM
It will be in the dross as a mixture of Zinc Chloride, Lead Chloride, and Tin Chloride. Yes Chlorides will attack stainless at elevated temps. that is why i specified an enameled pot. The Sodium will react with the Co2 from the charcoal to form Sodium Carbonate.

I don't think you are correct. Sodium has a much higher affinity for chlorine than zinc, lead, or tin. I could see perhaps boiling out some chlorides but your books may be newer than mine. I think the salt will just float around. I have had to deal with chloride stress corrosion problems in stainless steels at ambient temperatures.

olafhardt
05-18-2014, 02:12 AM
Milkman, thanks for the news, I haven't been back to Haskell for many years.

w5pv
05-18-2014, 07:31 AM
I don't know if this is correct or not but I remelt at a low temp and then when the oatmeal stuff collects on top I skim that off and flux several times.This seems to work for me.

WHITETAIL
05-18-2014, 07:57 AM
I am a big fan of melt under 750 deg. and skim off the junk.:cbpour:

bangerjim
05-18-2014, 11:38 AM
I have tested 1-5% Zn in lead and have found there is no problem, other that a slight reduction in boolit weight and you add a bit more Sn for fill-out.

The old wive's tale of "throwing out the whole pot because of one zinker" is just absolutely crazy. Cast it and shoot it!

Careful sorting and temp control is the best prevention by all means! But shinola happens! :dung_hits_fan:

There are many threads on here about removing Zn from your melt. Use the NEW and IMPORVED search engine above to read all about it. It does work. I have tired it.

bangerjim

olafhardt
05-18-2014, 09:57 PM
Melt low, skim and flux a lot fits in with the chemistry I know. So does don,t get it in there in the first place. For what most of us seem to do a little bit shouldn't hurt.