PDA

View Full Version : Penn Bullets

BigAl52
05-14-2014, 11:19 PM
Has anyone here used there bullet? If so how do you like them and how long did it take to get your order? Al

Nueces
05-15-2014, 12:32 AM
Bullet were pretty good, but my last order took over 6 months and was never completed. I won't order again.

NWPilgrim
05-15-2014, 12:56 AM
If you can get them they are well made. I shot a lot of 165 gr .401".

Tatume
05-15-2014, 06:02 AM
Like many commercial cast bullets, they have a hard lube. Some here advised adding some Lee Liquid Alox, which I tried. It works very nicely, and is almost effortless. Just leave the old "crayon" lube on, and tumble lube over it.

Cherokee
05-15-2014, 08:54 PM
I have used 1000's of Penn CB's without any problem, but the last was over 10 years ago. Can't speak for current products but Robert is a good guy and I don't know why that would change. Hard lube, yea, and that is what I use with all my own CB's without any problem. FIT is most important.

BigAl52
05-15-2014, 09:09 PM
I just placed an order with them about three weeks ago. I want some 475 bullets for the FA in 475 Linebaugh. I have heard about the lengthy wait time. I hope that doesnt occur this time. Its not to easy finding bullets for the 475 but the guy at leadheads came thru with some already so at least I have some to play with. Al

Bullshop
05-15-2014, 09:20 PM
In case some of you folks don't know it we are a supplier of boolits in all calibers. There is a link at the bottom of this page to our site with a list of designs we have available.
We generally ship within three days of receiving payment for an order. We rarely ever have exceeded a week from receiving payment to the time the order ships. Having to wait months for a boolit order is ridicules IMO.
If my post is out of place on this thread please have the mods remove it and please excuse me for posting.

jaysouth
05-15-2014, 10:14 PM
Bullshop, what is your "standard" alloy and what dia does the NEI 308 170gr. fp drop? Thanks

BigAl52
05-15-2014, 11:12 PM
I would like to know if your 400gr 475 bullets will work in an FA 83. Al

Bullshop
05-16-2014, 09:56 AM
Standard alloy is COWW. We will air cool or quench harden which ever will work best for you. We can also supply softer alloy if you desire. Specific binary alloys like 20/1, 30/1, 40/1, or 50/1 are a bit higher price than standard alloy.
I am not sure what an FA-83 is. If you mean the Freedom Arms original large frame model yes they have been used in that revolver but we have found that for the Freedom Arms revolvers the boolits had to be sized precisely to .475" diameter where as in other revolvers such as the BFR they could be run a bit larger in diameter.

Moonman
05-16-2014, 10:24 AM
Robert Palermo the owner of PENN BULLETS has experienced some issues as of late,

1) His father located in another city became very ill, eventually with time PASSING AWAY,

Bob's travel for that issue caused some issues.

2) His MAIN CASTER had an incident with a vehicle hitting him and and believe LOST SOME LIMBS.

3) Robert had new molds/equipment added, along with moving a foundry to another city.

4) THE DEMAND, his increased as did EVERYTHING else firearms related.

5) Penn Bullets customer base is in the TENS OF THOUSANDS I do believe.

6) Penn Bullets maintains IT'S OWN FOUNDRY also.

7) Penn Bullets are a good product as is it's owner Robert.

BigAl52
05-16-2014, 02:43 PM
I placed an order a month ago and haven't heard one word from them. I understand family concerns and problems do come up. But a little communication goes a long way with customers rather than none at all. Al

Moonman
05-16-2014, 03:03 PM
Penn Bullets has a web site with a contact info deal.
He posts info on the site concerning reloading, bullet ordering, bullet characteristics, etc.

I wouldn't exactly call the loss of a father and a KEY Employee with the casting a small issue.

Bob was hospitalized back in March with BLOOD CLOTS, a pretty serious issue itself.

Penn Bullets also is on FACEBOOK.

h8dirt
05-16-2014, 07:59 PM
Before I started making my own, I worked with Penn Bullets to find a good powder/bullet combo for one of my competition guns. Bob was very helpful … especially as it related to matching powder burn rates, etc. to match his bullets. But … I found his bullets to be OK as long as I didn't look closely at them. I never got a box (including the target grade) that didn't have about 3 - 5% culls in it. He was always responsive to this, but never seemed to able to get it under control. As has been mentioned by others, this may have been during some challenging times for him -- so, your experience may vary.

JWFilips
05-16-2014, 08:05 PM
I bought from them a number of times: Bob was always helpful. However there is Missing money for 500 cast that has never been accountable for even after questioning, so that endend my ties!