PDA

View Full Version : Got a Star Sizer today!

mtgrs737
01-09-2008, 09:39 PM
The mailman brought me a used Star Lubersizer that I bought from a member here. I took the afternoon to set it up and give it a whirl. Now I know what all you Star guys have been saying. The Star sizer is the top dog of speed and I like the fact that I can nose first size and control the lube well. You can sure tell that the company that built it was a machining company, so smooth! I do have a couple of questions:

1. What is the best way to remove the size die? I see they offer a spl. tool to do that job, does anyone have am extra one and would like to sell it?

2. Does anyone have an extra flat bullet punch that would work with a .356" diameter bullet base? Where is a good place to find one.

Thanks!

Mtgrs737

Swamprat1052
01-09-2008, 10:36 PM
I use the puller made for taking the dies out. You can get that and your bullet punch from Magma Engineering. Those are good folks.

http://www.magmaengineering.com/

They sell the sizing dies too plus any part you need for the Star.

Swamprat

testhop
01-09-2008, 10:38 PM
i had amichinest make me a die removeable tool it was threded same as the top punch and
was long and thin enought to go through the sizing die with threads for a washer and a nut
to use it you took oout the top punch and screw in the removal tool thro the sizing die put on the washer and the nut rase the handle and the sizing die came out quick and easy

ANeat
01-09-2008, 10:39 PM
Here is a download of the manual Page 3 for the removal tools

http://www.magmaengineering.com/pdf/StarSizerInstructions.pdf

garandsrus
01-10-2008, 12:48 AM
Mtgrs737,

I use a wood dowel to push the die out from the bottom. As long as the lube is warm it works great and the die slides right out. It is probably a lot quicker than using the special tool and of course is much cheaper also.

John

mtgrs737
01-10-2008, 01:34 AM
Thanks guys for the replies, I am having fun with this thing. So far I have found out that the unit holds 1 1/2 sticks of melted Lar's BAC lube and what the over flow hole does when you fill it with two sticks. I also found out that the Midway heater gets too hot for BAC lube as it ooses out of several places when up to temp. I am in a cool basement and thought that the heat would help the lube flow. I will turn it all the way down and see if it works better.

crabo
01-10-2008, 01:35 AM
I use a clamp on light with 100 watt bulb for my star and BAC.

Marshal Kane
01-10-2008, 02:19 AM
Congratulations on your new Star! The Star will spoil you! Fastest lubrisizer on the market and built like a tank. If you get the die removal tool, call Magma Engineering and check out the price. Have seen them for sale used on eBay and have seen them sold for far more than a new ones from Magma. As for extra dies, new from Magma is $35, however, the most common sizes come up for sale used on eBay usually for less. Enjoy your Star, it's a great tool!

Lloyd Smale
01-10-2008, 07:26 AM
quickest way to remove a die is to take a propane torch and heat the die body until you see the lube around it melting and just push out the die. Ive been doing it for 20 years and havent hurt mine yet.

Orygun
01-10-2008, 01:36 PM
quickest way to remove a die is to take a propane torch and heat the die body until you see the lube around it melting and just push out the die. Ive been doing it for 20 years and havent hurt mine yet.

I find that a hair dryer works just as well, as I don't like open flames in my reloading room.

mtgrs737
01-10-2008, 04:54 PM
I needed to order a flat punch for 9mm and 357s anyway so I had them send a removal tool too. I looked up Stillwell Tool folks and their websight said they were "Retired" as of 1-1-08. So I guess they are not an option anymore.