PDA

View Full Version : help!!!

jthomastreadwell
01-09-2008, 08:22 PM
hi guys,im shooting a .44 mag 12" encore, casting a lee c430-310 rf with gc from ww. lube is jpw/lla 50/50 mix. filling lube groove and just above gc. encore bore is .429. my cast boolits drop at 308 gr and .431 and sized to .430. i can start seeing bbl leading in about 10 rounds. about 2 inches from the muzzle end. whats going on with this? at 50 yards it shoots 3 rds in 1 hole.i am getting a lube star on the crown. enough lube? wrong lube? thank yall for any help. i almost forgot im pushing the boolit at 1250 fps with lilgun

leftiye
01-09-2008, 09:10 PM
Sounds like yer lube doesn't do the job at the higher velocities encountered at the front end of the bbl. Velocity isn't too hot, so a better lube might be needed would be my guess. Some here claim that LLA actually isn't a lube. You don't say what alloy ye're using, and you might need a harder alloy to withstand the pressures. Again, not too fast of a load, but pressures have to be high to move that 300 grain boolit anything like fast out of a 44 mag. If you decide to reduce yer load don't do it with Lil Gun, H-110, or 296. AA #9 does pretty good in reduced loads with heavy boolits. Or 2400. Should we assume (ass - u - me) that your bore is .429", or did you slug it? Good luck.

Blammer
01-09-2008, 10:23 PM
better lube would be what I try first.

runfiverun
01-09-2008, 10:34 PM
i think your lube is giving out on you try a little harder lube

black44hawk
01-10-2008, 02:04 PM
I have shot this bullet in my Super Blackhawk with great results. I use NRA Alox or RCBS rifle lube. ( I never use harder "pistol" lube) Maybe if changing lubricant does not help you may want to consider a lee tumble lube after the lubing/resizing step. This puts lube over the entirety of the bullet. I shoot bullets up to 1300 fps with one layer of lee liquid alox with little or no leading. By the way, that bullet is great: accuracy, momentum, huge bone crushing meplat. I would not feel undergunned anywhere on this planet with those in my blackhawk. Good luck.

Bass Ackward
01-10-2008, 04:06 PM
i can start seeing bbl leading in about 10 rounds. about 2 inches from the muzzle end. whats going on with this?

at 50 yards it shoots 3 rds in 1 hole.i

i almost forgot im pushing the boolit at 1250 fps with lilgun

jtt,

You have the best of all situations there. You have multiple options from which to choose.

1. Use some lube.
2. Shoot 9 shots.
3. Use some lube.
4. Cut velocity.
5. Use some lube.
6. Do nothing and clean gun.

:grin:

dubber123
01-10-2008, 05:46 PM
I shoot that same boolit at 1,325 fps. from a 10" Contender, with no lead fouling even after many rounds, and I get very good accuracy also. I cast from plain old wheelweights. The difference is I use LBT Blue Soft lube. Not saying you need THIS particular lube, just some thing better.

68 couper
01-10-2008, 07:44 PM
Yep, lube!

jthomastreadwell
01-10-2008, 08:10 PM
I shoot that same boolit at 1,325 fps. from a 10" Contender, with no lead fouling even after many rounds, and I get very good accuracy also. I cast from plain old wheelweights. The difference is I use LBT Blue Soft lube. Not saying you need THIS particular lube, just some thing better.

dubber....what powder are you burning? and what is your boolit sized at? i am casting wheelweights that are water dropped.yea im trying some differnt lubes.ya got that boolit smoking!!! thanks

44man
01-10-2008, 09:29 PM
Not so smokin! I get 1316 from my SBH with a 320 gr LBT and zero leading. A little faster with the Lee. I use Felix or Lar's carnauba red. LBT Magnum lube or Soft Blue is also great.
What all of you have missed is that contender barrels will foul with copper or lead faster then any gun made.
I would power lap the gun with the boolits that get finer and finer to polish the thing.
Back when you could get a replacement barrel from TC, no questions asked, I sent many back because they were so rough. The replacements were always worse then the ones I sent back so I sold them all.
A day shooting silhouette meant a week removing copper. I hated shooting bullets through a hollow file.