PDA

View Full Version : Mushrooms

05-14-2014, 09:37 PM
Not a big haul but I'm happy

Buck Neck It
05-14-2014, 09:52 PM
I bet they taste better than wheel weights.

bnelson06
05-14-2014, 10:11 PM
They should show up here about Saturday

MaryB
05-14-2014, 10:29 PM
Nice! Now pull the stems off and chop, flake some smoked fish, mix in the stems, a little garlic butter bread crumbs and stuff. Brush with more garlic butter and grill.

C. Latch
05-14-2014, 10:33 PM
I have always wanted to go morel hunting - and have multiple spots that could or should produce - but have never in my life met (in person) anyone who hunted morels in west or middle TN.

If I met such a person, and had the time, I'd offer them half the take in exchange for showing me how to find them on my own property.

DougGuy
05-14-2014, 10:43 PM
I went 3 or 4 times looking this year in our woods of North Carolina around Raleigh, saw some fiddleheads and may apples and other fauna that I associate with morel territory, but no mushrooms.

MaryB
05-14-2014, 10:59 PM
Picked a couple easy to get to morels this year, and some wild ramps. Neck injury from the car accident last year is really affecting my ability to do much.

C. Latch
05-14-2014, 11:07 PM
I went 3 or 4 times looking this year in our woods of North Carolina around Raleigh, saw some fiddleheads and may apples and other fauna that I associate with morel territory, but no mushrooms.

Somewhere in the recesses of my mind, there's an obscure memory of reading that there was a positive association between mayapples and morels.

I have a fairly large spot on my farm that has mayapples every spring - usually if it's springtime and I'm up there, I'm on the tractor working, not in the woods, but I noticed the mayapples while walking to/from my trail cameras.

What does a 'morel spot' typically look like?

country gent
05-14-2014, 11:14 PM
Dont know why but whenever they dip the ditch thru Dads farm the next year we find morels by the bag full. Also found them in the horse pasture at Grandmothers. Aong the woods and fence rows. ditch banks. Seems like they show up right after a thunder storm here also.

DougGuy
05-14-2014, 11:25 PM
Somewhere in the recesses of my mind, there's an obscure memory of reading that there was a positive association between mayapples and morels.

I have a fairly large spot on my farm that has mayapples every spring - usually if it's springtime and I'm up there, I'm on the tractor working, not in the woods, but I noticed the mayapples while walking to/from my trail cameras.

What does a 'morel spot' typically look like?

I like this Facebook page about morels https://www.facebook.com/morelmushrooms

They have a LOT of photos of morels in the woods, you can kinda see what morel spots look like easier than I can type it, just dig around in their photo archives.

C. Latch
05-14-2014, 11:38 PM
I like this Facebook page about morels https://www.facebook.com/morelmushrooms

They have a LOT of photos of morels in the woods, you can kinda see what morel spots look like easier than I can type it, just dig around in their photo archives.

Thanks! Headed there now to 'dig' around.

MaryB
05-15-2014, 02:46 AM
Around here usually find them near down oak trees

jcameron996
05-15-2014, 05:48 AM
I have discovered that there really aren't any rules for where you will find morels. I think it has a lot to do with holding your mouth right. We have found a few this year but it has been really dry so that has hindered the success.