PDA

View Full Version : Copper plated buck shot

fastfire
05-14-2014, 07:45 PM
I have access to a bunch of copper plated buck shot. If I use this to harden pure I'm guessing the plated will not melt in with the mix?
I can get it @ .50 lb, there is a 55 gallon barrel of it with non plated mixed in.
I was thinking that if the plating would mix in I would have tougher boolits.

bandmiller2
05-14-2014, 09:41 PM
Fastfire, I would try casting with a handful before I bought the whole lot. Theirs precious little copper on those balls I don't think it will hamper the casting properties and can likely be skimmed off. The hardness comes from the lead alloy the copper wash just makes them look cute and adds lubricity. Frank C.

popper
05-14-2014, 10:42 PM
I'd try it. The Cu wash should add just enough to make tougher boolits. I've melted plated pennies and the Cu disappears.

62chevy
05-14-2014, 10:46 PM
I'd try it. The Cu wash should add just enough to make tougher boolits. I've melted plated pennies and the Cu disappears.

OK but what about the zinc???

baogongmeo
05-14-2014, 11:02 PM
Buckshot especially plated is pretty pricey.
I would not be surprised if you could triple your investment by listing it for sale on some of the reloading forums.

fastfire
05-14-2014, 11:38 PM
I would not be surprised if you could triple your investment by listing it for sale on some of the reloading forums.

Thought about that too.

leftiye
05-15-2014, 08:35 AM
Put some soldering paste on it to help the copper dissolve into the lead? When adding copper to lead I first melt it into solder (60% tin) After that it's just put it in with the lead. 10% tin 1% copper is about 18 BHN IIRC. Some tough alloy. Could probly perform like a modern always expand, never fragment if HPed, and cross cut.

dondiego
05-15-2014, 09:56 AM
Worth more as buckshot. Trade for lino or wheel weights.

Leslie Sapp
05-15-2014, 10:04 AM

+1 the above

What size buckshot is it?

randyrat
05-15-2014, 10:05 AM
Worth way more that melting it by a long shot... You sell that stuff and buy all the alloys you want shipped to your door and have cash left over...
Can you separate the copper plated from the NON? If not don't worry about sell as is.

fastfire
05-15-2014, 10:49 AM
+1 the above

What size buckshot is it?

Mixed but they will separate to what I want.

Leslie Sapp
05-15-2014, 10:53 AM
This is unfired, usable copper plated buckshot?

I'd be interested in some #1, if available.

osteodoc08
05-15-2014, 11:13 AM
I have access to a bunch of copper plated buck shot. If I use this to harden pure I'm guessing the plated will not melt in with the mix?
I can get it @ .50 lb, there is a 55 gallon barrel of it with non plated mixed in.
I was thinking that if the plating would mix in I would have tougher boolits.

I bet that is one heavy **** barrel!

As noted, worth more in its current state. If they will seperate, you're evern further ahead. I'd buy as much as you could and sell it to buy more to sell if possible. It is a capital expense initially, but you'll make up plenty on your returns. Heck, I'd be interested in a few pounds of it just for trial's sake.

M-Tecs
05-15-2014, 11:35 AM
If unfired @ .50 lb I would buy it all and anymore that came up. Check the prices on 5 and 10 lb bags of buckshot. Even if it's fired or rejects that still a very good price.

baogongmeo
05-15-2014, 12:33 PM
If it's all sizes of buck mixed up you could screen it with 1/4" hardware cloth and have two piles...#4 buck and smaller and the other #3 buck and larger.
You could probably find something else to separate it even more...maybe a piece of expanded steel.

Jtarm
05-15-2014, 01:34 PM

+1 in that idea. Or swap for some alloy.

If fired, I wonder where that much plated buck came from. Maybe a police range?

If you end up using it, beneath that copper is almost surely magnum shot, which has some antimony.

psychicrhino
05-16-2014, 09:40 PM
+1 on buying it all