PDA

View Full Version : Cast boolit disease.

starmac
05-14-2014, 07:43 PM
This disease is expensive and there is no known cure. The best you can hope for is to medicate for it the rest of your life. lol

I had told myself NO more money spent on guns or related parts and pieces till work starts back up. I thought I was some what cured, at least in remission yesterday when a friend stopped by to show me what he called my next new gun. lol I will be winding up with it, but at least let him keep it until he shoots up the rounds that he got with it. lol

Then I really did good today when someone posted a double percussion rifle, in the swappin and selling. It was in a caliber that I really don't want, but hard to resist anyway. Glad to see it went to a good home real quick, so I thought I was cured. Then I had to go to the store while ago. Sportsmans is right next door, and today is powder day. I am not hurting for any, but just on the off chance they got some 2400 or 4759 in, I would hate to miss it. They didn't, but did have probably the largest selection of powders I have seen in a year or two. The only thing they had that I actually use was unique, which I am not low on, so I thought I was in the clear, until I looked up where it seems like years ago they used to keep the 8 pounders at. There was 1 8 pounder of red dot, a powder I have never used, probably never even heard of until I came to this sight. The only 8 pound jug of anything I have seen in a couple of years. Yep, now I have to do some research and figure what all it is good for. I have seen it mentioned on here many times, but because I never see it for sale, I really never paid a lot of attentions to loads. Got to try out the new search function now.

Beagle333
05-14-2014, 07:52 PM
Red Dot is my "go to" powder when I'm out of Unique. It will power a boolit down the tube of nearly anything. 8-)

35 shooter
05-14-2014, 07:59 PM
Yep! Caught the same disease about 40 plus years ago. Can't seem to get rid of it. Started with revolvers and about 1 year ago i caught the same thing with rifles. Glad i'm fairly healthy otherwise, cause i don't think i could afford another affliction!;)

Duster340
05-14-2014, 08:02 PM
It has spread to Illinois too. I have it!

missionary5155
05-14-2014, 08:02 PM
Howdy starmac
Repeat after me "I am cured"... I am cured... I am cured... and after 500 times I bought a .477 brass mold from someone !
Mike in Peru

tigweldit
05-14-2014, 08:06 PM
I was born with this terrible disease. I inherited it from my father.

starmac
05-14-2014, 08:11 PM
Glad I don't need a 477 mold, the 45/70 and the big 45 and 44 molds is hard enough on the lead pile. In fact I just got into SMALLER as in 22 cal. It is amazing how long a pot of lead last 55 grains at a whack, and how many boolits will be in a little pile. I know there is 22 hornet data with red dot, I just need to figure how many rounds 8 pounds will make, might even have to use it in the 222 too. lol

SSGOldfart
05-14-2014, 08:37 PM
sweet nice powder I use it a lot,38/357 when I'm low on bullseye and for 9mm,and 45acp and a few others when I want a quick burning powder

dh2
05-14-2014, 09:16 PM
I use my gun hobby as the cure for every thing else going on in my my life
as a youngster I started hunting and shooting on the farm as I got older that got worse Started hunting with pistols, bow's or what ever else was in season.
Them come reloading, tryed bullet casting did not seem to be worth all the trouble at the time
A few years down the road. started building AR-15's now have a gun safe full of them
then came more friends and 98 Mauser ites Bought a few built a few at a friends shop.
What will be next???
just don't tell the wife I am looking for a Rem 700 ,RUM size action to put a 26 Nosler on
Please NO ONE EVER find a cure

Land Owner
05-14-2014, 09:31 PM
I "save" money casting and reloading. I "save" money. I "save" money...

...at least compared to the guys that purchase and shoot only Factory ammunition. Plus I OWN all this neat casting and reloading gear! It is amortized through the thousands of boolits and j-words that have been married to powder, primer, and case...then sent down range.

this is good...This Is Good...THIS IS GOOD!

starmac
05-14-2014, 10:10 PM
I have got that saving money part figured out. I just resigned myself to the fact that it is pretty darned expensive to save money. lol In fact I saved enough money with a lee loader to apparently spend THOUSANDS. lol

MaryB
05-14-2014, 10:32 PM
Red Dot is a nice rifle powder for 30.06, 7.62x54r...

JeffinNZ
05-14-2014, 11:59 PM
It's the most expensive way to save money I know.

Bzcraig
05-15-2014, 01:37 AM
I just caught this a couple of years ago and it didn't take long to have the full blown disease. I'm really troubled now to know it never goes away and no matter how much money you spend it doesn't get better. Anyone know of a good medication to help?

blackthorn
05-15-2014, 11:33 AM
Since it's a disease, might be you could run it through that wonderful new medical program you got handed to you American folks! Called Obama care aint it?? (Don't know how to turn this purple!)

searcher4851
05-15-2014, 11:34 AM
First off, Red Dot is a great powder. You can load pretty near any handgun cartridge with it and there's plenty of published data on it for this purpose. It's also good for reduced power rifle loads. It's no position sensitive so no need for fillers. It'll easily turn a 45-70 into a handy little plinker. Burn rate is too fast for high powered rifle loads. It's also all I ever used for 12 ga trap loads back when I shot a lot of trap.
As far as the "disease", I wish I had a gun for every time I've said 'no more'. Come to think of it, I DO have a gun for every time I've said that, except for this last time. (so far) lol

Smoke4320
05-15-2014, 11:42 AM
Disease.. Habit .. Nope I can quit at any time .. done it 3 times already
now off to swap and selling :) :)

wallenba
05-15-2014, 12:08 PM
Oh Lordy!! I got hooked on Lee molds, then Lyman and RCBS. Lately I've been using the real hard stuff like Accurate molds. Not the mild two cav's but the three's. Now my cravings are for the brass molds. What's next? Swaging?

Calamity Jake
05-15-2014, 12:21 PM
Red Dot? I have about 32 lbs of it, and have shot up about that much in 30+ years, does that say anything????

By the way I have the disease too!!!!!

TheBabinator
05-15-2014, 12:29 PM
My affliction has caused me to have way more boolits then I can shoot due to the lack of powder. I find myself picking out the "unacceptable" ones over and over so i can make the perfect ones without having 2 years of boolits on hand.

9w1911
05-15-2014, 12:39 PM
Just embrace it. :)

FISH4BUGS
05-15-2014, 12:39 PM
Shooting machine guns is a very expensive habit too. Fortunately I bought mine many years ago when they were not expensive. But that DID get me started on buying in bulk. brass in 5000 lots....powder in 8lb jugs....primers in lots of 5000. Wheel weights by the TON...literally.
I was in a gun shop in winter and of course asked if they had any powder. They didn't but then the guy said he thought they got in a shipment from their distributor that had not yet been unpacked. He THOUGHT there might be an 8 lb of 748 but he wasn't sure. He would check.
He came back and there it was. $160.00. Sold on the spot. Oh by the way....do I need primers? $125/5000,.....sold......
Did I need them? No. That just meant my stash was up to 32 lbs. of 748 and 15,000 small pistol primers.
You think THAT addiction is bad? Thanks to TexasFlyBoy, I now have a Hensley & Gibbs mould jones. Great precision pieces of equipment they are. Can't seem to get enough of them.

9w1911
05-15-2014, 01:32 PM
"Hensley & Gibbs mould jones. Great precision pieces of equipment they are."--look what you did, now i must know!

AlaskanGuy
05-15-2014, 02:16 PM
Ok, ok, i have a problem... But once you admit you have a problem, isn't it suppose to get better????? Sheesh...

FISH4BUGS
05-15-2014, 02:51 PM
"Hensley & Gibbs mould jones. Great precision pieces of equipment they are."--look what you did, now i must know!
There is a member here (TexasFlyBoy) that has a web site on H&G moulds. If you have ever used one, they are just beautiful pieces of the machinist's art.
The steel they used in the 40-90's was a better grade of steel, and their machine work was truly artistic. I have some 10 cavity H&G moulds that drop the bullets out after cutting with the sprue simply by opening them up and shaking them a bit. I like casting with the 4 cavity moulds because they are a good compromise between production and weight.
Take a look at Toms site and enjoy learning about them. They show up on EBay and Gunbroker, and even sometimes for sale here. WARNING - the popular ones are not cheap!
http://www.hensleygibbs.com/

JeffinNZ
05-15-2014, 11:36 PM
The worse part is the moulds in your collection multiple like rabbits. I just don't understand how it happens. :-)

OeldeWolf
05-16-2014, 01:48 AM
I am afraid that id this is another incurable disease, then I am up to... five of those? Boolit casting, reloading, fibromyalgia, rheumatoid arthritis, rescue agency for old milsurps, growing veggies as a part of being self-reliant... Hmmm... that is 6. Maybe I should just stop counting? Why can't I catch something that has a cure? Or at least a good 12 step program.... .... lol

Catshooter
05-16-2014, 04:23 AM
I have absolutely no idea of what this disease is y'all are speaking of. I certainly do not have it. I don't. I'm sure I don't, there's no way.

I'm a more high faluting (boy spell check really didn't like that one) type than y'all, I can tell. I'm above it, really, really,, honest. :(

Well, maybe just a little bit . . .

Cat

P. S. StarMac, I use five grains of Red Dot in the 30-30 under the Lyman 3118 for a very soft and quiet load. The grand kids love it.

doc1876
05-19-2014, 11:23 AM
This don't look good, is this what my life is going to become? What have I done? How do I get to "Swapping and Selling" again.

GSaltzman
05-19-2014, 01:44 PM
I admit to having a problem. To cure it I just recieved 2 Accurate molds and just today ordered another NOE mold. To go along with the new holsters ordered from Simply Rugged. I'm secure in my affliction!