PDA

View Full Version : Short report on Lyman 450 ram slop

EDG
05-14-2014, 05:40 PM
I have an orange Lyman 450 with the up to date ram and handle linkage.
I have 5 other lube sizers 3 gray Lyman 450s and 2 RCBS -one the original LAM and the other a LAM II.

I bought the LAM in 1976 used it a while and sold it to a BPCR shooter. I bought it back after his vision went south. I have continued to use it to to lube large caliber rifle bullets. The ram is still very tight.
I bought the LAMII used and it appears that it had seen a lot of use but is still tight and works well.
All 3 of the older gray 450s are reasonably tight though they do not get used a lot. I bought all them used.

It has grated on my nerves that the orange 450 was so sloppy. This afternoon I took it apart to use a whiz bang inside mike on it. The mike is a Tesa Intramike, Swiss made and marketed in the US by Brown & Sharpe.
It will measure from .800 inch to 1.000 inch inside diameters and it is direct reading in .0002" increments on the thimble. It has 3 contact surfaces.

I measured the ram at .808 pretty much all over except the front to rear where the ram touched the guide at the full down position - both at the top of the guide and the bottom of the guide. At the wear points it measured .8078 - about .0002 wear. These were check with a Brown and Sharpe carbide face mike. I double checked it with a Swiss mike and got about .0001 smaller .

Next I checked the ram guide bore in the casting. About 30 % of the interior surface was still colored by orange over spray. Looking down into the top at 4 oclock there was a patch of paint nearly the size of a dime that was still intact in an area where the reamer or boring bar cut oversize maybe .0005.

The bore was measured next. My Tesa mike wobbled around a bit. By shifting the clocking of the feet, it would measure about .0005 out of round. With one of the 3 feet to the front I got .8115. I got different dimensions depending on where I clocked the feet of the Intramike. Due to the out of round the high dollar mike was a flop. I changed measurement methods to a telescoping gauge and a 1" OD mike. A telescoping gauge just measures the with two points. You have to be careful with 2 point measurement if you have a 3 lobed hole. You might measure it consistently even though shaped like a Wankel rotor.

At the top and bottom of the guide I got .8125 front to back and .8120 side to side.
In the middle of the guide I got it pretty close to round at .8100. The Tesa Intramike got about the same thing in the middle because the hole was still pretty much round.

Note that the ram was originally about .808 all over. At the top (front to back) and bottom (front to back) the clearance is .0045 to .0047. When new, the hole appears to have been .810 and a little tighter due to the paint. A coat of paint may measure anywhere around .003 normally so when assembled at Lyman or a sub contractor it would have felt tight. The finish was so rough that the paint and the high points of the tool marks wore quickly leaving the ram sloppy.

Next I measured the ram slop front to back using a dial travel indicator. With the ram at the full down position, the fore aft motion was .020 measured between the set screw and the end of the ram right on top of the die retention nut. I measured at the top of the ram guide with the ram in several locations from full up to full down and got .006 fore aft motion.

I also noticed that when the ram was pulled forward it was .010 from outside edge of one of the nut flats
When ram was pushed to the back the ram was about .020 from the nut flat indicating that the ram is off location compared to the nut by about .005. This is probably due to uneven wear at the bottom front due to the loading from the handle.

I did all of this to explore how I might rework the tool to remove all the slop.

I would prefer to line bore it on a milling machine and install a bushing.

I could make a .001 brass shim and curl it into the gap all around but it would not remove all of the slop.

Years ago I bought a barely used ram and linkage on Ebay. Apparently someone had installed the updated linkage on an older 450 and I got his discards cheap. This ram measures .811 diameter. It will start into the top of the ram guide about .250 by hand before it wedges tight.
Added EDIT --->>>> I checked one of my other gray 450 rams. It also measured .811. <<<

I am thinking about finding an auto machine shop that will let me watch while they hone it to fit.
Failing that I have a drill press and a brake cylinder hone that might remove about .001 in the middle of the guide if I am careful and persistent. Any way it is another project.

Lyman could spend a week of design time and a couple of weeks retooling and changing their machining processes to make the 4500 a good tool. It needs to be about 3/4" to 1" inch taller to make the guide longer.
Then they need a good process to make the guide and the ram have about a .0002 clearance. While they are at it they can make the ram 1" in diameter.

Anyway that is all I have on the subject today. I will probably think about it a little more and call a few machine shops. I may try my hone first. If it is too slow I will let the guys with the honing machine open it enough to use the old style ram. Neither method will correct any off axis issues though.

labradigger1
05-14-2014, 06:52 PM
I feel your pain. I bought the upgrade handle/ram for my gray 450 in january. Old ram was slick and very little slop. New ram was .013 smaller than my old used ram that was probably close to 50 years old. I called lyman and they semt me a new ram. When i received it it was also .013 to small. I dont get how a new ram can be smaller than one as old as my existing one. Quality control i guess. Long story short, i turned a new ram and i am once again pleased.
lab

EDG
05-14-2014, 07:22 PM
I suspect that Lyman has a drawing *****. The basic fraction of 13/16 = .8125. I suspect that is what the original drawing said. They probably specified grinding tolerances of = +.000-.001.
Then along came the new design and someone forgot to the tolerance the diameter. When this happens the tolerances default to a standard tolerance block of either +/- .005 or +/-.010.

Old School Big Bore
05-14-2014, 07:33 PM
I'm thinking about gettin mine straightened out, or at least tightened up, too. Anyone that's gonna jig up to do this job, you may as well do everyone's and make some $$ on it. Let us know. I'm thinkin new ram and bore the stand for a sleeve, or just bored oversize for an oversize ram, using a pilot nutted into the bottom well like a die...

texassako
05-15-2014, 02:00 PM
Have you checked out the perfesser's 450 rebuild page? http://web.archive.org/web/20120525005328/http://www.usi.edu/science/engineering/Lyman450/Lyman450LuberRebuild.htm

OuchHot!
05-15-2014, 02:48 PM
Thanks texassako! That is a really nice link.

Maven
05-15-2014, 03:39 PM
"Lyman could spend a week of design time and a couple of weeks retooling and changing their machining processes to make the 4500 a good tool. It needs to be about 3/4" to 1" inch taller to make the guide longer.
Then they need a good process to make the guide and the ram have about a .0002 clearance. While they are at it they can make the ram 1" in diameter." ...EDG

Lyman will do this when pigs fly!

enfieldphile
05-15-2014, 03:59 PM
Makes you wonder if Lymsn is still using the same mills and tooling from the '60's!

The further the tool (boring bar) gets from the machine, the more the runout is on a mill, especially a mill w/ a worn main spindle. If the feed / speed is set too high, OR they are taking too much of a cut @ once, everything goes to pot.

EDG
05-15-2014, 07:25 PM
Texassako

Thanks for that link. My sizer does not leak out of the bottom, but like the perfesser's, the plug in the bottom is crooked.
Mostly what I learned from the perfesser's work is Lyman's design and process controls are not very good. His 450 was as sorry as mine or worse. There is no reason for these tools to be so sloppy. It takes no more time to make the things right than to make them wrong.

W.R.Buchanan
05-19-2014, 12:29 PM
The way to fix this if you want to make it really right is to make an oversized Ram. If you didn't want to find stock that was pre ground to size you could simply use 13/16" CRS and hone the hole in the housing to fit the stock. Or a piece of O1 drill rod would probably be right on .8125, and then you'd open the hole up to .8145 or so.

One thing you should do if you plan on boring the hole yourself is to figure out a way to hold the casting so you can recut the base until it is square to the bore. If this is not done it will be difficult to get the bore lined up with the spindle. This is why it would be better to have the bore honed as opposed to bored. The hone will follow the existing hole. Any other method will probably establish it's own new centerline.

I recut the base on mine because it was not remotely flat (in fact it was not machined at all) and would sit on the bench right. You will have to indicate the hole from top to bottom to insure it is perfectly vertical before you recut the base. This will be the new datum for your next setup to true the bore.

The ram is not something that would be hard for any junior machinist to make, and would be a fun project for you.

IF you can work a ID mic you should be able to make this part.

Randy

EDG
05-19-2014, 06:38 PM
Randy
I have access to a lathe and have about 10,000 hours running them. Turning a new ram is a no brainer.
I do not have access to a milling machine and I really need a mill to do the job right.
When you reworked your casting, did you find the lube compression bore machined on the same datum as the ram and die bores?

My primary motivation for all the above was to try to understand the source of the slop.
In my case (and some others from the comments) the orange 450s leave the factory with a poor fit that gets worse quickly due to little bearing surface. Most users will never be able to repair their 450s and Lyman seems to be unable and unwilling to respond to the problem.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
05-20-2014, 07:49 AM
Lyman doesn't care as long as people are willing to buy the swill, Lyman will continue to manufacture it. That's the bad news.

The good news is I have solutions to Lyman slop problems and I'll list them for you in a moment. But I want to assure you, before I post them, that I in fact used these solutions to eliminate my Lyman slop issues after having customer service experience with Lyman on more than one occasion.

Here are my very permanent solutions to Lyman slop issues on lube sizers:

1. Magma/Star lube sizer
2. Ballisti-Cast lube sizer
3. lathesmith/Chris made roller handle, die removal tool, Star dies and Star/Ballistic-Cast punches

Faster, accurate and a pleasure to use in comparison to the Lyman units.

By the time you spend the money and time to correct the lymans, you have paid for the Magma/Star and then some, but have cut your time invested in lube sizing your boolits by two thirds or so. A fully outfitted Star or Mark VI will do everything the Lyman will do, but at a much faster cllp with the accuracy you desire and is much more fun to use.

EDG
05-20-2014, 11:11 AM
As I understand it the Star et al is intended for pistol bullets. All I size is rifle bullets.
I already have a full set of dies that I use in other Lyman and RCBS sizers - 5 of them besides the sloppy one.
My other sizers work fine. I can do without the orange turkey way cheaper than messing with the other brand tools.

EDG
05-27-2014, 11:53 AM
Previously I reported that I have 3 gray 450s and 1 orange 450. The orange one had all the slop as reported above.
Yesterday I went to a closet where I keep a lot of that stuff. While looking around I got the feeling that I was being watched and looked down into a box that I usually store dies in. There was the sloppy old orange 450 but the paint was a little chipped since last week. Then suddenly I got this creepy feeling - I have 4 Lyman 450s all right but only 2 are grey and 2 are orange. I thought yeah I have another sloppy fitting ram. I reached down and gave it a wiggle and sure enough it TOO is sloppy. A little less than the other one but still plenty. Then I tracked down the AWOL gray 450s and they were nice and tight. Then I checked the two very well used RCBS LAMs and they were both tight.

Just finished measuring the second Orange 450 - call it 450-2. In summary I got very close to the same results.
The ram measures .8083 across the the diameter left to right on the no wear areas. Front to back over the wear areas it is .8080. Not much wear.

The ram bore in the casting retains about 50 percent paint coverage. The reamer was apparently chattering and made the hole lobed. The high points in the bore were still filled with a membrane of orange paint. The lower surfaces had been worn bright. The bore basically has a series of orange stripes top to bottom.

The ram bore measured .810 front to back in the relatively un worn area in the center of the guide.
Top and bottom of the bore - measured .8113 front to back.

With a dial travel indicator against the ram in the full down position against the die retaining nut the front to back movement of the ram
measured .014. Only .002 less than the first.