PDA

View Full Version : Ballisti-Cast ???

BigboreShooter
05-14-2014, 05:05 PM
Has anybody here recently ordered a mold from them. Were you with happy with the results.
After the group buy, I'm a little gun shy about ordering from them!!!!!

BigboreShooter

Hardcast416taylor
05-14-2014, 05:48 PM
Actually my 7mm Thor group buy mold has great promise...as a fishing sinker for Walleyes on the Detroit river!Robert

Harry O
05-15-2014, 08:36 AM
I bought one for a 41 Long Colt a few years ago. No problems. It was delivered fairly quickly and it is a good mould. I have heard some bad things about them during the buying craze last year, but just about every company had problems then.

RG1911
05-16-2014, 11:27 AM
I've had a mold on order for pushing two years. The company went to h--l in a basket when the owner and his son had a falling out. It sounds as though the situation is improving, at least regarding deliveries. I can't comment on the mold quality yet.

Richard

Moonman
05-16-2014, 11:46 AM
Some people ordered molds for BOOLITS of VERY LITTLE DEMAND from Ballisti-Cast.

You probably remain a the end of a list looking for more orders of that mold.

Having CHERRIES made IS NOT CHEAP.

I had IRON molds from them BEFORE THE FAMILY SPLIT,

COMMON MOLDS, 38 Special, 45ACP, that were very nice and good delivery time.

I also have SOME NEW IRON MOLDS with NO LUBE GROOVES from

a NEW company started by the son and his partner Derrick, HARDLINE INDUSTRIES.

Excellent Molds, you can see some results in the HI-TEK coating threads.

Hardline Industries is listed here in the Vendor Sponsor page, they're also on Facebook.

RG1911
05-16-2014, 01:02 PM
The mold is basically the H&G #68, .45 200-gr SWC.

Why would I not want lube grooves? I guarantee I'm not going to get into tumble lubing.

Richard

Moonman
05-16-2014, 03:13 PM
RG1911,

if you've had the 45 200 gr. SWC on order for 2 years, you should give Bill Sand a call,
Sounds like your deal is completely lost.

Many people are now ordering NO LUBE GROOVE MOLDS to add additional bearing

surface to the BOOLIT as they are POWDER COATING or using the HI-TEK coatings.

RG1911
05-16-2014, 04:19 PM
I just pinged Bill again. He had found my order a month or two ago and I asked when he thought the mold might be delivered.

Fortunately, I kept a paper trail of the order and subsequent questions.

Richard

Moonman
05-16-2014, 04:57 PM
RG1911,

Good Job,
Hope you get your mold, I have a 668 (their H&G 68 copy) mold from Ballisti-Cast from when
his son was there, it's cut for a Magma Master Caster and I've not used it
as of yet. It sure looks nice.

Bigslug
05-17-2014, 01:11 AM
I just got mine today in fact.

I started the ball rolling 14 months ago wanting a vertical/horizontal vented 4C copy of the HG20 170 grain .308 Spitzer. Texasflyboy made it possibly (or would have) by loaning one of the no-longer-there employees an original mold for cloning. He quickly got it back, but it seems all the drama kicked off not long after. My order was still on file but the clone blueprints/scan/whatever got lost in the chaos.

A couple months ago Bill responded to one of my inquiries by putting me in touch with his new guy Keith. Keith was able to generate a blueprint off the photo from Texasflyboy's HG archive site. Having learned a little more about the casting game in the last year, we discussed and altered the design slightly to move the lube groove back and turn the full-fledged crimp groove into more of a cannelure - optimizing the location of both for the .308 Win. This was about 2-3 weeks ago.

The postman's timing was perfect, as Pop and I had a pot of #2 melted down to begin with another mold - so we were able to break in two today. We finished with the first and let the BC heat up on the hot plate while had lunch, and then let 'er rip.

DAYUM! But this mold is nice!! I dumped 400 good bullets out of it and had probably less than 15 - maybe less than 10 - that needed to be thrown back. Commercial-quality slugs dropping free or with a couple light taps from the first couple of pours. I LOVE the extra-thick grooved sprue plate that builds a nice heavy puddle above the cavity and makes it easy to prevent runoff. Bang-on for requested spec at .3095", weighing a touch over 168gr with the #2.

They did right by me in spite of the internal drama. All things considered, it turned out better for me in that I wouldn't have thought to move the grooves around a year ago. The real question is how long they'll take on a new order now that all the mess is behind them. I don't have any doubts about the product itself.

Next: to see how it shoots!:happy dance: