PDA

View Full Version : Casting airgun pellets

Saint
01-09-2008, 04:42 PM
I just bought a Crosman 1377 .177 air pistol. This thing is mean. Pump action 600 fps is a very high powered air pistol. Anyway I always thought that air gun pellets were stamped out of lead sheets but I bought a tin the other day and found one that still had the sprue. Does anyone know if it is possible to get molds for pellets or otherwise make pellets.

hornetguy
01-09-2008, 04:49 PM
It is possible.
I believe there was a group buy on a pellet mold at one time.

I'm sure someone that is involved with that will chime in here pretty soon.

The pellet mold was designed for the high-power spring-piston rifles, I believe... the ones that achieve about 1000fps or more. I thought about getting in on the buy, but didn't... now wish I would have.

Harry O
01-09-2008, 10:40 PM
I have seen them on eBay a few times in the past. The few I saw were made in England. Don't remember what prices they brought.

SwedeNelson
01-09-2008, 10:49 PM
Got one of the group buy Pamela Anderson Moulds
(Something to do with being to big.)

Have never used it in a air gun.

Use it in a .17 ack. hornet. (lots of fun in that.)

A little slow to cast with.
Takes some time to get a pile of boolits.

Swede Nelson

Bent Ramrod
01-09-2008, 11:41 PM
If yours were regular diabolo pellets, it might have been some flashing from the die. Were they Chinese pellets?

I have one of those English .177 pellet moulds (can't find it now, of course, to check the maker's name). The blocks are cylinders of brass fitted together end to end, and there's no sprue plate. By dumping lead all over them, you can get maybe 6 out of 10 good ones, that fill the nose all the way. The pellet cavity is sideways in the mould, the nose going deep in one block and the base shallow in the other. They're mostly nose, a long spitzer with a flange at the bottom to take the rifling. You have to pull them out of the mould by the sprue with pliers and bend it off after it cools. This leaves a torn spot in the flange.

That said, they shoot surprisingly well in my Beeman P1 Magnum, and hit very hard. Perfect for Survivalist Airgunners. Pretty well made, if elementary.

Saint
01-10-2008, 02:45 AM
They were actually just standard Crosman wadcutters. It was clearly cast. On a side note this Crosman American Classic 1377 is an awesome air pistol. It's weight and trigger pull are just about equal to my 1851 navy bp revolver. It cost 50 dollars and is easily worth more.

andrew375
01-10-2008, 05:09 AM
The moulds had a manufacturers name of L.E.M. I've got a .177 and a .22. I've never had much luck casting with them, but it might be due to me being left handed as they have been used by several of my (right handed) friends who reported no problems. They were of a "sugar loaf" profile with a hollow base. Accuracy was superb in my Crossman 766 and the down range impact was considerably greater than with conventional pellets.

If yours were regular diabolo pellets, it might have been some flashing from the die. Were they Chinese pellets?

I have one of those English .177 pellet moulds (can't find it now, of course, to check the maker's name). The blocks are cylinders of brass fitted together end to end, and there's no sprue plate. By dumping lead all over them, you can get maybe 6 out of 10 good ones, that fill the nose all the way. The pellet cavity is sideways in the mould, the nose going deep in one block and the base shallow in the other. They're mostly nose, a long spitzer with a flange at the bottom to take the rifling. You have to pull them out of the mould by the sprue with pliers and bend it off after it cools. This leaves a torn spot in the flange.

That said, they shoot surprisingly well in my Beeman P1 Magnum, and hit very hard. Perfect for Survivalist Airgunners. Pretty well made, if elementary.

Maxthompson
01-10-2008, 07:23 AM
I believe any extra pellet molds are probably now in Mexico. I Honcho'd that deal and the pellets wouldn't fit in some guns, too long. A fellow in Mexico turned them around and was getting great accuracy.

I've still got one or two I believe.

Mike

hornetguy
01-10-2008, 10:08 AM
I KNEW I remembered a pellet mold group buy..

It was by Oldfeller... Like was mentioned, I think it was less than successful, which was unusual for Oldfeller's stuff.
He also did a heavy 6.5 swede boolit that was designed specifically for the Swede mausers. I have one of those molds.

MikeP
01-10-2008, 11:14 AM
I have read on airgun forums that pellets are made from lead wire by some sort of punch machine. They make airgun pellets by the billions. Casting would slow things down considerably. On the airgun forums, they do talk about some Crossman pellets being produced less than perfect from time to time, and remark that dies need to be changed out when that happens.

Dale53
01-10-2008, 12:17 PM
With Meisterkuglen match pellets available at the cost of $60.00 per 5000 I cannot see me trying to cast those tiny pellets. I shoot a good number of pellets and buy by the carton (5000). At the standard ten meters range, I can, from a bench with a scoped rifle put five shots through the same hole without enlarging it. That is not a brag but is common with match grade rifles (mine is an Anschutz CA 2002). The Walther's will do the same. In fact, I had a Match Grade Gamo side cocker that would do the same. You may have to use a different brand of pellet, although I have not found my rifle to be quite as "ammo sensitive" as my match grade .22's.

At any rate, since I ONLY shoot targets with my match guns (pistol and rifle) I see little need to cast pellets (in fact the thought makes me want to throw up:mrgreen:).

Now, if a person is just of an experimental mind, that is a whole different topic. I was just talking in practical terms.

YMMV
Dale53

StrawHat
01-10-2008, 11:04 PM
At any rate, since I ONLY shoot targets with my match guns (pistol and rifle) I see little need to cast pellets (in fact the thought makes me want to throw up:mrgreen:).

Dale53

Great post, good thing I didn't have anything in my mouth!

RU shooter
01-11-2008, 12:08 AM
after the past few threads concerning air guns lately I went over to my dads and dug out my old air pistol a Webley/ Beeman Tempest and started shooting it once again, I have one question though If we use lubed boolits at the same speeds in rifled barrels why arent pellets lubed ? Has anyone ever tried a very light coating of lube on a pellet? I think Im gonna try a very light coating of thinned LLA on some and see what happens accuracy wise.

Slowpoke
01-11-2008, 01:04 AM
Last year I rolled some pellets in Jojoba oil just a light film, I had to lower my scope elevation two inch's to get back my 50 yrd zero, that worked so well I went a head and oiled the rest of the gun with it, what a difference, the rifle is a 1984 model Blue streak, I don't remember it ever running so smooth and quite.

good luck

miestro_jerry
01-11-2008, 01:40 AM
They make cotton wads that you put some oil on it, Pellet Gun Oil, not 3 in 1. You shoot the cotton wad and the barrel is lubed for a couple hundred shots.

Jerry

Dale53
01-11-2008, 01:53 AM
If you use lube in an air rifle, you run the risk of it "Dieseling" which can blow all of the seals. That can be an expensive lesson.

Bad idea, folks...

Dale53

Morgan Astorbilt
01-11-2008, 02:25 AM
I shoot 10m International pistol. My gun's a Morini 162E, a Swiss PCP with electronic trigger. With target grade pellets, such as H&N or RWS, if placed in a vise, these guns will put all the pellets in the same hole at 10M, and the hole won't measure more than about 30cal. We commonly do this to test pellets for group size, before buying, which we do by the sleeve(ten tins). At 10m these pellets are so stable, that you can insert them into the gun backward, and they'll still go into the same hole. When I first started, I worried about accidentally inserting a pellet backward, and was told that it didn't matter. The last thing you want to do with these guns is insert a cleaning rod into the bore, which is not very hard steel, so I worried about having to push out a backward pellet.. We never clean or oil the bores on these guns, and when oiling the action, use a special oil, made for the purpose, which won't diesel or deteriorate the seals . They sell "cleaning pellets" which are felt pellets impregnated with oil, but they are of dubious value. I must have put over 100,000 pellets through my gun, changed seals twice, but haven't cleaned the barrel yet.
Morgan

Saint
01-13-2008, 04:24 AM
With Meisterkuglen match pellets available at the cost of $60.00 per 5000 I cannot see me trying to cast those tiny pellets. I shoot a good number of pellets and buy by the carton (5000). At the standard ten meters range, I can, from a bench with a scoped rifle put five shots through the same hole without enlarging it. That is not a brag but is common with match grade rifles (mine is an Anschutz CA 2002). The Walther's will do the same. In fact, I had a Match Grade Gamo side cocker that would do the same. You may have to use a different brand of pellet, although I have not found my rifle to be quite as "ammo sensitive" as my match grade .22's.

Now, if a person is just of an experimental mind, that is a whole different topic. I was just talking in practical terms.

YMMV
Dale53

Besides my airguns the only other thing I own is an ever increasing amount of muzzleloaders with the price for ammo and the rate of fire for these things it almost costs more to cast my own ammo but I think a good majority of the people on this site just simply because they can and they enjoy it. :drinks:

Dale53
01-13-2008, 10:51 AM
Just a comment for the sake of clarity;
I am a dedicated bullet caster and have cast ALL my bullets for handguns since I was a teenager (14 or 15 years old). That is well over fifty years of bullet casting. I have cast hundreds of thousands of bullets and continue to cast and shoot handguns and schuetzen rifles with cast bullets. In the interest of "complete disclosure", I have on occasion purchased in bulk, and used with excellent results, swaged HBWC's in .38 caliber for target use (also does quite well on "Bunny Wabbits" and other edible small game).

Using rifles, I cast for .225" to .458" (.22 Hornet to .45/90). Where appropriate, I use Black Powder, also (BPCR, Schuetzen Rifle, BPC revolver and muzzle loaders).

But-t-t-t, cast air gun pellets? I don't think so...:mrgreen:

Dale53

Bent Ramrod
01-13-2008, 11:47 AM
I found my mould, and, as Andrew says, it's a LEM mould and casts a hollow base modified, long nosed sugarloaf design. They are certainly more work to cast than regular boolits, about 3 x the effort from my short trial in casting them.

Benjamin air rifle pellets, for a time at least, had a sticker on the tin that said "Sized and Lubed." They had a thin layer of some kind of oil on the pellet, and, at least to the eye, were more precise in appearance than the offerings by Crosman, Milbro and others of the time. (This was before Beeman started his import business.)

At the speeds pellets travel up the bore, and the temperatures of the propelling gases, they should not need any more lube than the airgun mechanism sprays in there every shot. I would also imagine that the microscopic layer of lead oxide on the pellets lubes them in the same manner that "white lead" (a similar compound) lubes stock as it rotates on lathe centers.

JIMinPHX
01-13-2008, 12:31 PM
The pellets that I have bought always had some kind of oil like lubricant all over them, Inside & out. I think that would seem to suggest that they may have been swaged.

Forreal
12-15-2012, 01:19 PM
I am trying to find someone who casts pellets in cal 22. Have been in contact with mr hollowpoint and i am wery interested in his hollowpoints but dont get any reply from him. I am interested in bying hollowpoint pellets in cal 22 between 30-40 grains. Anyone who can help me with this? Please contact me!

Silvercreek Farmer
12-15-2012, 01:35 PM
Get yourself a big bore air rifle and cast for it! I was about to go down that road until I found out it took hundreds of pumps if you did not have a scuba tank.

10 Spot Terminator
12-15-2012, 03:28 PM
Seems it would be faster and create better pellets if you had a way to stamp or swage them vs. casting .

MT Chambers
12-15-2012, 06:30 PM
I agree with most on here, I have a Daystate "Huntsman XL" PCP in .22 cal., it's deadly with JSB brand 18.1 grain match pellets which retail for $11/500. I couldn't cast them as well or as inexpensively, however with some of the bigger cals. it prolly would work out. The .30s .303s, .35s, and bigger may bring about savings as well as diff. designs, but note that pellets are still light for their cal. as an example: the .303 pellets are only 50 or 80 grs. if I remember right.

I'll Make Mine
12-15-2012, 06:50 PM
If you didn't insist on a diablo pellet form (like classic Crosman pellets, and others) but were willing to use a hollow base "ash can" form (like the old Benjamin .20 and .22 pellets), you might well be able to cast pellets that would work. Of course, trying to get a skirt thin enough to deform and grip rifling to fill out in .17, .20, or .22 size would be a bit of a learning curve, and then you'd only be able to produce the heavier pellets for caliber (i.e. lower velocity, like shooting a .45-70 compared to a .458 Win Mag in terms of pellet drop). With the right dies, you should be able to swage pellets of that sort from lead wire in two operations (bleed die to uniform the cores, then a forming die/punch with hollow base and nose form to finish) and get the skirt thin enough to act right.

For larger calibers, .30 and up, a hollow base die (like a Minie) should produce bullets that will work well and likely cost less than commercial slugs for air guns in that category.

Both will want to use soft(ish) alloy...

JIMinPHX
12-15-2012, 11:41 PM
On a side note this Crosman American Classic 1377 is an awesome air pistol.
I got about 20 good years out of one like that, then the seals started to go. I can still make her work with a little tinkering.

Boneguru
12-16-2012, 10:14 AM
love my 1322 (.22). had to rebuild it last year and love it all over again. not sure I could cast as well as some of the pellets I buy. think I will stick to my big bores for casting....

Hamish
12-16-2012, 10:18 AM
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?164775-Mihec-22-air-rifle-bullet-mold

Silver Eagle
12-17-2012, 12:44 AM
Commercially produced pellets are made from cut lead wire (a large variety of alloys are used) and a die. Cut chunks of wire are placed in a die and the die swages them to the correct shape. As the dies age the dimensions change and they are replaced. The old dies are sometimes re-purposed to the "economy" lines or sold to other manufacturers for refurb and use. A few manufacturers punch slugs out of lead sheet and further form them in a die or multiple dies. Higher quality (match grade) pellets are made from newer more carefully tended dies and are sorted by weight and head size.
For the .22 and up bores their are a few companies that mold the pellets or "airgun bullets". Mr. Hollowpoint is one of these manufacturers. Side note: Check out his .72 (12 Gauge) airgun! Hornady is making .357 airgun bullets specifically designed for the Crosman Rogue.
A number of pellet manufacturers lube their pellets with various lubes to reduce oxidation of the lead. Graphite, oils, waxes, or paraffin are the most common. It's use also prolongs the life of the dies and assembly equipment.
I have seen reports of muzzle loaders using the larger bored airgun designed bullets with great success.