PDA

View Full Version : Seasoned rough-cut walnut gunstocks - Need advice

Ohio Rusty
01-09-2008, 11:36 AM
I'm including a pic of a couple of gunstocks that I'm looking to sell, but I need some advice. Do people still hand make guns other than the big companies or muzzleloaders? The gun stocks shown are rough-out american walnut. They have been seasoned maybe 10 to 15 years, and even though the ends were sealed, the one in front still got a check in the wood on the top and the bottom as shown. The checks are maybe a 1/2 inch deep. The other has a chainsaw cut in the face of the stock also maybe a half inch deep. The stocks are 34 inches tall and 3 inches thick. Can anyone guide me toward people that might be interested in these? Or do i really have just a couple pieces of walnut firewood?
Looking forward to the help ... Thanx in advance ...
Ohio Rusty
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v372/OhioRusty/Gunstocks.jpg

Bass Ackward
01-09-2008, 11:46 AM
Is wood still sold in that configuration? Heck yes.

I would ebay them just as you described if no one picks them up here.

Wayne Smith
01-09-2008, 12:32 PM
Three inches thick should allow the cuts and checks to be machined out. Yes, they are worth probably more than I can pay! I would expect auction type offers here.

KCSO
01-09-2008, 12:57 PM
I am currently rasslin' abouut 6 of these around in my shop and yes we still use that stuff. The only problem is who cut them and were they cut for gun stocks. I have had numerous offers of stock wood over the years and very seldom do i get wood suitable for a good gun stock. For a blank to make a good stock you have to be able to lay out your pattern so the gran runs straight through the wrist with NO checks or knots or cracks. Unless you can see the wood first hand and unless it is planed pretty close to width you are guessing as to what is under the waste wood. I have a 10 foot long 3" wide piece in the shop now and I am cutting fore and butt stocks for Stevens rifles from it as there was no one spot that would work for a M/L stock. When Fajen's was in business yo went to the factory and looked through rough cut blanks planed to thickness and picked out what you liked, at that time my Bro in Law worked there and I got a lot of seconds and scraps. I'm not trying to burst your bubble but gun stock blanks are not as simple as folks think and even if everything looks good on the outside sometimes by the time you get into the wood you have to scrap it and start over. I once cut milled and dried about 20 board feet of maple from my own tree and when all was said and done I got 1 1/2 stock and 2 pistols from the wood.

VTDW
01-09-2008, 01:23 PM
You can search for a member called Shum8 at www.marlinowners.com as he makes rifle stocks.

Dave

crabo
01-09-2008, 05:49 PM
Rusty, did you get any of my pms about the molds?

Crabo

Char-Gar
01-09-2008, 10:22 PM
in the current state, I can't tell if there is a gunstock in there or not. I can't see the grain. It might be gunstock wood and it might be firewood.

garandsrus
01-10-2008, 12:56 AM
Ohio Rusty,

You might want to dampen the wood with mineral spirits and take a picture of it so that some of the grain might show through. I don't think you would have good luck selling it if the grain can't be seen.

John

Buckshot
01-10-2008, 03:28 AM
.................You could use a lumber pencil and layout a riflestock on each as that would give an idea of size. Also a front, side, and 3/4 view would be helpfull.

..............Buckshot

PatMarlin
01-10-2008, 03:55 AM
What kind of mill do you have KCSO?

Ohio Rusty
01-11-2008, 11:13 AM
Thanx for the advice all !! I'll have to find some mineral spirits somewhere. I don't buy that kind of stuff. When I paint, at the end of the project, all the brushes, rollers and such all go in the trash. They are so cheap anymore, it's not worth cleaning them. The only thing I have is a couple of old bottles of Gum spirits of Turpentine from the 1960's, and they are only used for cuts, scratches and other medicinal purposes. The wood was cut for gunstocks according to the fellow I got them from. I have the stock from a Remington 1100, and I could lay that on the wood for reference in a future picture
Thanx again for the ideas and the information.
Ohio Rusty