PDA

View Full Version : Groove depth

Marlin Junky
01-09-2008, 05:14 AM
My H-R in .35 Whelen seems to shoot best with a clean barrel and accuracy can disappear in as little as 5 to 10 rounds with only very light fouling and I was wondering if it may have something to do with groove depth. This is in direct contrast to my old 336's with Ballard rifling that shoot better after several fouling shots. Is there a minimum groove depth that should be considered for most cast bullet shooting from a rifle at say, 1700 to 2400 fps? I what to build a .35 Whelen from an 1885 High Wall action and would like some barrel recommendations. I would like to shoot everything from medium to heavy weight pistol boolits to the heaviest boolits a 14" twist can handle.

MJ

Bass Ackward
01-09-2008, 08:06 AM
MJ,

The best advice is to allow you to educate yourself on manufacturers WEB sites as this is a complex subject. This will get you started.

http://www.6mmbr.com/barrels.html

I personally like taller rifling as I want to shoot soft when I shoot at those velocities. But in 35 caliber, it isn't really mandatory. It's more about the finish inside that can cause the fouling that ruins accuracy. Your goal is to prevent that buildup and then handle it if it does occur.