PDA

View Full Version : Fairly new to casting...

AllOutdoors.22
05-12-2014, 10:02 AM
Ok so I'm fairly new to casting and new to this site so please be gentle...I have been casting round balls for my muzzleloader for years so I get the basic of casting but shooting them at higher velocities is making me worried about leading. I got a Lee TL 158gr. mold for my .38 revolver and all has gone well but I haven't been pushing them that fast either. Now I have a .357 maximum and would like to shoot cast in that. I know I will need a new mold with gas checks but I have never used them or sizing/lung dies either. Can anyone help help me sort out some of this...

Also I loaded some of my TL bullets over 6grs. of Unique just to try them out in the Max. and they shot well but the brass seems to be gripping them tighter than my .38 special brass. Could this be cause they are still new? I can see the TL grooves through the brass...help! TIA!

mdi
05-12-2014, 12:58 PM
I'd slug the barrel of the gun and if a revolver, slug the cylinder throats (what gun do you plan to reload/cast for?). Size the bullets to the same size as the throats (it wouldn't do any good to go larger as the throats will size them to their diameter anyway). Normally the throats will be larger than groove diameter of the barrel and the bullet will be able to seal the barrel. I would tumble lube those T/L bullets with 45-45-10 and try them with starting loads in your .357 Max...

Walter Laich
05-12-2014, 07:40 PM
how did you determine that the brass was gripping the brass tighter?

AllOutdoors.22
05-12-2014, 07:44 PM
Only because I can see the lube grooves through the brass with the max brass but not in the.38's...