PDA

View Full Version : First time cast with rifle

str8shot426
05-11-2014, 11:19 PM
I have gotten comfortable casting and loading for my revolvers. Thanks to alot of trial and error, and reading on this forum.
I decided to try loading up some cb's in my .243 win. I aquired them from Bullshop on a trade. They are 95 gr. RCBS. I am very pleased with the results from the starting load with imr 7625.
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/12/ybu5eju5.jpg
Not the greatest group for 50 yds. But this was my first try. I have alot of experimenting to do.
The H&R rifle I am shooting has a shorter throat that puts the base of the boolit in the case when the ogive is engaged in the rifling.

Is this correct?

MOcaster
05-11-2014, 11:54 PM
That looks pretty good to me for a starting load. I counted 9. Am I missing one or did you shoot three 3 shot groups?

str8shot426
05-12-2014, 05:59 PM
I loaded up 10 and shot a fouler off target.

Land Owner
05-12-2014, 10:20 PM
The quarter is covering the 10th...hehe.

35 shooter
05-12-2014, 10:36 PM
Good start. I usually engage the rifling a bit with my boolits too on the nose bearing part. Working with a boolit now that's engaged .151" just to keep the gas check in the neck. That's a bit more than i usually go but i don't like the check below the neck if i can help it. But with some boolits depending on the throat you can't help it. Anyway i'm starting with light loads and plan to work up slow and watch for pressure. I did make up some dummy rounds to make sure it wouldn't pull boolits on extraction. With jacketed bullets i wouldn't dare seat as deep in the rifling as i do with lead. Just make sure it chambers easily.