PDA

View Full Version : Missouri

bbs70
05-11-2014, 09:56 PM
Swmbo and I have been thinking and looking for some time about moving to southern MO.
Doniphan, Lesterville area and Poplar Bluff area are ones we have been thinking about, but not exclusively.

It will be a retirement move so a job is not a question.

Anyone here live in these areas?
If so what is your opinion of these areas, pro and con.

Over the years we have visited these and other places in the area.
The people seemed great, and the atmosphere was excellent.
But we were there as tourists, not as residents.

Like the idea of the Mark Twain being close for hunting & ATV riding.
I don't fish, but that can be rectified.

Any input folks.

yman
05-11-2014, 10:30 PM
Doniphan is a nice place to visit, but I wouldn't retire there. Check the health care, Doc's move in & out reg. and the county hospital is bear min. Might not Be important now, but who knows what the future brings. Also no shopping, 2 grocery stores, a Freds, no place to go out to eat unless Mcdonalds an Sonic are high on your list. On the upside it has the prettiest river south of Montana and taxes are low. If I was looking to move to that area, I would look somewhere between PB and Doniphan being closer towards PB, a lot closer. PB community is moving west towards Doniphan since they bilt the bypass west around PB and they working on old US67 now. You can prob find a nice place just west of 67.

gbrown
05-11-2014, 10:31 PM
OK, you asked. Personally, I'd look around the Mineral Wells/ Stephenville area of Texas. But, then again I am really biased. I'm a born and raised Texican. Not shy about talking about my State. Great area, a lot of good cultural stuff around there. I'm not from there, but have been there plenty of times. Lots of good places close by to visit and retail areas not far away. I would seriously think you should think "outside the box" and look at it. Just MHO. Look at Glen Rose and Lake Whitney. Waco and Ft. Worth are not that far away. Lots of opportunity in that area.

starmac
05-12-2014, 03:55 AM
It is on the other side of the state, but I always thought Anderson was a neat little town. It has been a few years since I have been around there, but there hunting and fishing was good, and many people let you hunt on private property (that could have changed though). It is not far from Joplin for any amenities a guy could ever need too, but still far enough to be country.

dh2
05-12-2014, 07:12 AM
southern MO has every thing you would need Mo is home to me I would look east of Springfield, West plains is nice , I like all of it much better than the east coast where I am now.

smokeywolf
05-12-2014, 07:51 AM
We've been looking at several different states. We really like Missouri and Texas. But, we still haven't ruled out Idaho, Alabama and a couple of others.

Missouri has affordable real estate prices, good property tax rates, but they have the additional personal property taxes.

Texas has no income taxes, but unless you have an AG or wildlife exemption your property taxes can be pretty high.

Missouri has a jack@ss Democrap for a governor.

Like all the other States bordering Mexico, Texas is getting polluted by criminal aliens coming across the border. These criminals will eventually either vote Democrat (legally or illegally) or produce a bunch of U.S. born Democrats. Also, Texas got a big influx of Democrat welfare leeches following Katrina. It's a statistical fact that hispanics and blacks reproduce at a greater rate than caucasians. I fear that in 50 years or so, Texas will be like California is today.

Idaho has less chance of lib/progressive pollution, less humidity, no chiggers, but higher real estate prices, taxation and more severe winters.

We have one other requirement that limits our choice of a ranch/hobby farm; we have to be within 30 to 40 minutes of a decent university.

smokeywolf

Charley
05-12-2014, 08:31 AM
OK, you asked. Personally, I'd look around the Mineral Wells/ Stephenville area of Texas. But, then again I am really biased. I'm a born and raised Texican. Not shy about talking about my State. Great area, a lot of good cultural stuff around there. I'm not from there, but have been there plenty of times. Lots of good places close by to visit and retail areas not far away. I would seriously think you should think "outside the box" and look at it. Just MHO. Look at Glen Rose and Lake Whitney. Waco and Ft. Worth are not that far away. Lots of opportunity in that area.
Is Erath County still a dry county? Could be an issue for some, hate to drive 30 miles to buy beer.

gbrown
05-12-2014, 08:45 AM
Is Erath County still a dry county? Could be an issue for some, hate to drive 30 miles to buy beer.

Last I heard, some parts of it were. Haven't been there in a few years, don't really know. It's no different than living in an area with few grocery stores, where you gotta plan shopping trips and stock your pantry.

starmac
05-12-2014, 11:24 AM
I was born in stephenville. The place has sure changed in the last 50 yeas. it has way too many people for me.

Just Duke
05-12-2014, 01:57 PM
southern mo has every thing you would need mo is home to me i would look east of springfield, west plains is nice , i like all of it much better than the east coast where i am now.

yes!!!!

Just Duke
05-12-2014, 01:59 PM
We've been looking at several different states. We really like Missouri and Texas. But, we still haven't ruled out Idaho, Alabama and a couple of others.

Missouri has affordable real estate prices, good property tax rates, but they have the additional personal property taxes.

Texas has no income taxes, but unless you have an AG or wildlife exemption your property taxes can be pretty high.

Like all the other States bordering Mexico, Texas is getting polluted by criminal aliens coming across the border. These criminals will eventually either vote Democrat (legally or illegally) or produce a bunch of U.S. born Democrats. Also, Texas got a big influx of Democrat welfare leeches following Katrina. It's a statistical fact that hispanics and blacks reproduce at a greater rate than caucasians. I fear that in 50 years or so, Texas will be like California is today.

Idaho has less chance of lib/progressive pollution, less humidity, no chiggers, but higher real estate prices, taxation and more severe winters.

We have one other requirement that limits our choice of a ranch/hobby farm; we have to be within 30 to 40 minutes of a decent university.

smokeywolf

Dead on correct. Don't forget Ticks and poisonous snake in TX.

Just Duke
05-12-2014, 02:02 PM
Swmbo and I have been thinking and looking for some time about moving to southern MO.
Doniphan, Lesterville area and Poplar Bluff area are ones we have been thinking about, but not exclusively.

It will be a retirement move so a job is not a question.

Anyone here live in these areas?
If so what is your opinion of these areas, pro and con.

Over the years we have visited these and other places in the area.
The people seemed great, and the atmosphere was excellent.
But we were there as tourists, not as residents.

Like the idea of the Mark Twain being close for hunting & ATV riding.
I don't fish, but that can be rectified.

Any input folks.

The Wildlife Dept. tells me there is not a lot of deer there. Reason is no farming. Reason for no farming is it's real rocky. Also watch out if you here Banjo's.

popper
05-12-2014, 02:17 PM
Springfield is growing down to Branson/Hollister, so I'd try N/N.E. of there. Have you looked @ NW. central Mo? Weather isn't much diff, but it is close to Ia. Land is probably better qual. PB is probably the only part I haven't visited. Like all states, pop. is getting pretty much undocumented.

shooter2
05-12-2014, 04:02 PM
I would not ignore SW MO or NW AR. Very good health care is available in NW AR because Bentonville is the home office of Walmart. You may not need it now, but the day always comes. Just a thought.

s mac
05-12-2014, 04:13 PM
I would not ignore SW MO or NW AR. Very good health care is available in NW AR because Bentonville is the home office of Walmart. You may not need it now, but the day always comes. Just a thought.

Another vote for SW MO, NW Ark, although we do have ticks.

starmac
05-12-2014, 04:36 PM
And chiggers, snakes and the worst spiders. lol

Brett Ross
05-12-2014, 09:20 PM
The best thing about living in MO, is you are close to gods country, Iowa

Just Duke
05-12-2014, 09:23 PM

I'm sorry that would be Texas.
He doesn't ever visit Nevada though. We do have a deity along with his minion that were cast down that reside here.

Just Duke
05-12-2014, 09:25 PM
Chiggers don't bite/burrow below 60 degrees.

Just Duke
05-12-2014, 09:35 PM
You could meet new friends there.

http://www.freewebs.com/rrherps/photos/Venomous%20Snakes%20of%20South%20Carolina/Cottonmouth.jpg

jim147
05-12-2014, 09:41 PM
Cotton mouth and ticks are thick this year in my part of MO.

jim

DLCTEX
05-12-2014, 09:55 PM
Missouri has timber rattlers, copperheads, and water mocasins.

schutzen
05-12-2014, 11:03 PM
Southern MO is a nice place. I do not live there, I live across the river in Western KY. However, I trade a lot in SEMO. Prices are better and they want your business. Cash & Customer are King.

smokeywolf
05-12-2014, 11:40 PM
Dead on correct. Don't forget Ticks and poisonous snake in TX.

Ticks and snakes in SoCal too. Hiking, camping horseback riding and hunting much of my life. Nature doesn't panic me because I'm well aware how fast a good situation can turn bad and a bad situation can turn deadly.

Besides, no bugs or serpents come close to posing as great a threat to the population as the politicians here.

We started out looking for 10 to 20 acres. Now we're hoping to latch onto something closer to 80 to 100. Would like to be able to put in a little hay if I ever needed or wanted to. A food plot or two. Maybe take one or two deer each year off my own property. Wife is hot to trot to have a few chickens and hopes that maybe we can slaughter and butcher our own beef each year.

Would also like to look into putting in a small orchard to help offset property taxes, insurance or feed, fuel and utility bills.

We've seen some mighty pretty places (on the internet) in South Central Missouri.

An acquaintance of mine wanted me to buy her ranch near Brownsboro, TX. The ranch was 140 acres m/l, but at the time we were thinking that 140 acres was completely out of the question for us.

In spite of my worries of the Dems gaining political control of Texas sometime in the next half century, Texas holds a very strong draw for me that defies pure logic and reasoning.

smokeywolf

Chili
05-13-2014, 11:27 AM
If you like Missouri, how about the area around Mexico, MO. Lots of country and good hunting. As a bonus, you would be located in the same town as Graf's and Midway is only another hour away. My Ol Lady is from that area so that makes me a bit biased I reckon.

Cornbread
05-13-2014, 11:59 AM
What about Montana or Wyoming? We only get maybe three months of warm weather up here where I live in NW Montana but other than that it is super nice. Cost of living is fairly low here, although Wyoming is lower. I wouldn't live in northern Idaho for all the money in the world. Most of the places in N Idaho worth living are full of yuppies and ultra rich liberals who come from the left coast and bought up property up there and use it as vacation and retirement homes. The rest of it is populated largely by meth heads and or redneck white trash. I only live 30 miles or so from Idaho and you couldn't pay me enough to move over there, at least on this side we have a very constitutional sheriff(Sanders county) who has about cut the drug(meth) issue to nothing. Besides Idaho has sales tax(even on food), what they use it for I'll never figure out because it sure isn't their roads. The biggest issue with living here is the cold and how long it stays cold for e.g. last few night have been well below freezing and it snowed Sunday. July - Sept are really the only months where you won't light the wood stove at least a few times a month.

richhodg66
05-13-2014, 12:24 PM
I've lived in the eastern half of Kansas about 20 years now off and on and I get across the border into Missouri quite a bit. I like the place and think it would be great to live there. I retired from Fort Leavenworth and a lot of guys stationed there live across the state line. Missouri taxes military retired pay as income which Kansas does not, though.

Besides all that, if you're currently in Illinois, you really have no where to go but up as far as a place to live goes, unless you were to move to Kommifornia or New England. I'd take Missouri over Illinois any day.

sundog
05-13-2014, 12:36 PM
NE Oklahoma isn't too bad. We have water moccasins, copperheads, black widows, brown recluse, skunks, tornadoes, earth quakes, mountain lions, bobcats, coyotes, armadillos, oppossum, and toll roads. Oh, and chiggers..., lots and lots of chiggers, and ticks, too. Other than that, it's pretty good livin'. I've seen 20 below and 115 above at my house. Drought, flood, insect infestations, and stoopid people. We live far enough out to enjoy all it! Close enough in to get excellent medical and dental, big stores, etc., via, yep, you got it, a toll road. Forgot to mention mud dobbers and wood bees. You can grow a garden, hunt deer, turkey, dove and quail. Neighbor south of me even had a bear siting just recently. Lots of churches. Taxes are reasonable, but sales tax on food is a bummer. Prolly about like most other places, but it's home.

Just Duke
05-13-2014, 12:52 PM
If you like Missouri, how about the area around Mexico, MO. Lots of country and good hunting. As a bonus, you would be located in the same town as Graf's and Midway is only another hour away. My Ol Lady is from that area so that makes me a bit biased I reckon.

It gets real pricey up that way. Reason is it's premium farm land. You can run a plow pretty much anywhere north of I-70. Not so much south of I-70 and especially down around Springfield to Willow Springs. Soil there the Extension Office guy told me is 12 to 18 inches deep and you would rip a plow apart when you hit granite.
However!!!! Bermuda grass grows wild there and you can get 3 plus cuttings a year which makes it perfect for cattle. Just about every ranch we saw had a pool. Reason is the Chlorine kills chiggers. You do not wear your outdoor cloths in the house. You have to wash them immediately after coming indoors.

Myself I want to live out my golden years without being a food source for the local insect population or a host for a virulent transmitted by the insect population. That said I'll just go back home and live on the outskirts and rural areas far from hippy land.

starmac
05-13-2014, 01:49 PM
North of I-5 ???? That would be Canada. lol

Just Duke
05-13-2014, 02:09 PM
North of I-5 ???? That would be Canada. lol
I just woke up. I fixed it.

TheCelt
05-13-2014, 02:11 PM

smokeywolf

Ought to take a glance at southern Alabama. Property taxes are low, they do not tax retirement income, real estate is reasonable and there's several Universities down here. Look to the SE part of the state around Opelika, pretty country there and the hunting is good.

Just Duke
05-13-2014, 02:16 PM
Ought to take a glance at southern Alabama. Property taxes are low, they do not tax retirement income, real estate is reasonable and there's several Universities down here. Look to the SE part of the state around Opelika, pretty country there and the hunting is good.

There was a 100 acre ranch with a 4000 sq ft log home there for $250.00 we were looking at. And a 2 acre pond. Probably with had Alligators. ICK!!! AL has the cheapest homes on the planet.
I need for any that look there to listen really good. Check you Demographics before moving or even looking there. OH..........MY!!!!!!!!!

TheCelt
05-13-2014, 03:35 PM
There was a 100 acre ranch with a 4000 sq ft log home there for $250.00 we were looking at. And a 2 acre pond. Probably with had Alligators. ICK!!! AL has the cheapest homes on the planet.
I need for any that look there to listen really good. Check you Demographics before moving or even looking there. OH..........MY!!!!!!!!!

Gators are easy to deal with, plus you can get a nice set of boots out of them!!!! I have lived down here more than half of my life, what would you like to know about the demographics??? If you like to shoot, hunt and fish it's pretty much paradise. Having said that, I spent two weeks in northern Idaho last year and would move there in a minute!!!

waksupi
05-13-2014, 03:42 PM

I can say with authority, Iowa is a good place to be FROM!

smokeywolf
05-13-2014, 09:49 PM
In researching the high schools, we've noticed a seemingly direct correlation between demographics and the rating(s) assigned to the local schools.
In addition to requiring a good university within a reasonable driving distance, we have 2 children who will be entering high school soon. One of those two is gifted and could quite conceivably end up managing to qualify for a full scholarship to a university the caliber of Auburn.

For the above reasons, we are paying attention to demographics.

We've also ruled out moving into a home that is within 3/4 of a mile of high tension lines or within 1-1/2 miles of an active rail line. Would prefer not to be within 3 miles of a freeway or interstate. Mrs. smokeywolf and I want to hear nature, not humans. My neighbor's tractor, shooting, animals are an exception.

Wouldn't mind having live water so I can try and generate a little power. Maybe just enough to power security lighting and cameras.

smokeywolf

Cornbread
05-13-2014, 10:11 PM
In researching the high schools, we've noticed a seemingly direct correlation between demographics and the rating(s) assigned to the local schools.
In addition to requiring a good university within a reasonable driving distance, we have 2 children who will be entering high school soon. One of those two is gifted and could quite conceivably end up managing to qualify for a full scholarship to a university the caliber of Auburn.

For the above reasons, we are paying attention to demographics.

We've also ruled out moving into a home that is within 3/4 of a mile of high tension lines or within 1-1/2 miles of an active rail line. Would prefer not to be within 3 miles of a freeway or interstate. Mrs. smokeywolf and I want to hear nature, not humans. My neighbor's tractor, shooting, animals are an exception.

Wouldn't mind having live water so I can try and generate a little power. Maybe just enough to power security lighting and cameras.

smokeywolf

I know it isn't Missouri but we only have one school per town up here and some towns combine schools. Running water property isn't too hard to find so long as it doesn't have to be a big river. We have lots of little creeks and such up here. Demographics wise Sanders county MT is roughly 91% white and the largest other population is native american because part of the east end of the county has a bit of the Flathead reservation on it. 99% of all households speak English as a first language and the largest second languages are German and Dutch (we have a large Amish, Mennonite, and Hutterite population). The county has 2,790 square miles in it and only 11K people and the population is dropping not gaining so roughly 4 people per square mile if you spread them out evenly. Since most of the population lives in one of three towns most of the rest of the county is forest. You could live 15 miles north of Plains and be completely off grid if you wanted and property up in the sticks like that is pretty cheap so long as you don't want Clark Fork river frontage. If you ever swing through on vacation to check it out, let me know and I'll try and show you around. The house across from me is for sale (old fella that lived there died of old age recently). His place has a year round creek running through it, it runs down from my place on to his. Lots of deer and elk in this area and I think the guy had 10 - 20 acres but when they post the for sale brochures I can grab one and see for sure if you wanted.

Handloader109
05-13-2014, 10:14 PM
I'll second or third NW Arkansas. Transplant from central Mississippi. Way less humidity, don't underestimate how much difference it makes from deep south to what I call midsouth. We do have much more snow as compared to the zero in the deep south. But good schools. Plenty of land and nice folks

smokeywolf
05-13-2014, 10:56 PM
Love Montana. Spent a little time in my early teen years up around Hungry Horse. Folks had a little parcel of land on the North Fork of the Flathead. Mrs. smokeywolf says she wants less snow and more growing season. Southern California weather is great, but I still remember life here in the 1950s and comparing now to then, I just can't stand the more fees, surcharges, higher taxes, restricted freedom, political correctness. I live in fear that one of my children might accidentally say something supportive of 2nd amendment and get thrown out of school.

Sorry, going off on rant.

Love Wyoming, Idaho, Utah, Arizona, Texas, Northern LA and AL, Arkansas and Missouri.

For the same reason I feel that I was born 100 years too late, I feel that I should have been born in Texas; not California. This land we're looking for, I'm hoping might some day serve or maybe even save my descendants. Because Texas is a border State and because Houston, Dallas and Austin are pretty much lost to the liberal progressives, I worry about whose hands may hold most of the political power in Texas a half century from now.

My oldest son lives near Kansas City, MO and I can afford a bit more land, Missouri is looking pretty good.

Another thing we worry about is prejudicial feelings against Asians. Although Mrs. smokeywolf came here 20 years ago (legally), has very high moral and ethical standards and is politically more conservative than most women (and a lot of men) who identify themselves as being "Conservative", she is Japanese and looks it.

smokeywolf

onceabull
05-13-2014, 11:49 PM
Wonderful long established Japanese familes,Both sides of the Snake River,SW Idaho,and SE Oregon.My Generation and those following have/are experienced a lot more integrated Asian/anglo families..

Ramar
05-14-2014, 06:36 AM
Missouri is already over populated.....
Ramar

cbrick
05-14-2014, 08:48 AM
I did all the demographic searching for 4 years before escaping CA and moving back to America. I chose North Central Arkansas based on many things but there's always going to be some compromise. My yearly property taxes here wouldn't pay one month property tax in CA but there is sales tax. Everything here is cheaper than CA even groceries etc simply because the stores aren't paying the outrageous taxes as in CA. I've recently been told (I didn't know it) that in AR on your 65th birthday your property taxes are frozen and will never go up. AR does have income tax but they don't tax SSA or any another income for the first $25,000. Electric rates here are far, far, far lower than CA. None of the silly, ridiculous, asinine gun laws that CA has, here if you buy a gun you walk out of the store with your new gun the same day. Throughout the last campaign season for the last Presidential election I saw a grand total of ONE obummer bumper sticker.

Yep, we have water moccasins, copperheads, black widows, brown recluse, skunks, tornadoes, earth quakes, mountain lions, bobcats, coyotes, armadillos and opossum. Oh, and chiggers..., lots and lots of chiggers, and ticks also. Truth is though that all of them combined make far better neighbors than blood/freedom sucking CA liberals.

Rick

Cornbread
05-14-2014, 09:51 AM
Another thing we worry about is prejudicial feelings against Asians. Although Mrs. smokeywolf came here 20 years ago (legally), has very high moral and ethical standards and is politically more conservative than most women (and a lot of men) who identify themselves as being "Conservative", she is Japanese and looks it.
smokeywolf

We have some redneck white trash out here, but way less than NW Idaho, so I don't think there would be much if any prejudice here. My cousin up near Eureka has a pastor that is married to an african american lady and she said she has never run into any issues being one of only about three african americans in their whole county.

The farmer I buy eggs off of is Spanish(from Spain not Mexican) but their family is pretty dark. I could ask him if he has ever experienced any prejudice here and see what he says.

A lot of the native americans around here look very asian so most people would probably assume your wife is Salish or Kootenai and they are so intermarried with other races here it is pretty common for most families to have at least one portion of their family that is native american unless they are part of the Amish, Mennonite, or Hutterite communities. Those folks tend not to marry much outside their religious communities.

My family didn't come over here from Norway and Finland until my grandma was 4 so we don't have enough time in country to have intermarried much. I met my first african american person when I was in the eighth grade, a local family adopted him and his sister out of the foster care system. My wife is Swedish so I guess we are starting to branch out a little :) but as far as people of Asian and or Indian descent go we see them as tourists a lot coming to pick cherries or see Glacier National Park but I haven't ever seen any people of Asian descent living out here. If you moved out here it would be interesting to see what your wife thinks of the locals. Outside of the Bible belt NW Montana is probably one of the most churched places you could ever live and within the local church communities it would probably not be tolerated well at all if someone was acting prejudiced toward somebody's wife because she was other than white. I think most people out here are just trying to get by and make a living, being racist probably doesn't even register on most of their radars.

TCFAN
05-14-2014, 10:48 AM
I did all the demographic searching for 4 years before escaping CA and moving back to America. I chose North Central Arkansas based on many things but there's always going to be some compromise. My yearly property taxes here wouldn't pay one month property tax in CA but there is sales tax. Everything here is cheaper than CA even groceries etc simply because the stores aren't paying the outrageous taxes as in CA. I've recently been told (I didn't know it) that in AR on your 65th birthday your property taxes are frozen and will never go up. AR does have income tax but they don't tax SSA or any another income for the first $25,000. Electric rates here are far, far, far lower than CA. None of the silly, ridiculous, asinine gun laws that CA has, here if you buy a gun you walk out of the store with your new gun the same day. Throughout the last campaign season for the last Presidential election I saw a grand total of ONE obummer bumper sticker.

Yep, we have water moccasins, copperheads, black widows, brown recluse, skunks, tornadoes, earth quakes, mountain lions, bobcats, coyotes, armadillos and opossum. Oh, and chiggers..., lots and lots of chiggers, and ticks also. Truth is though that all of them combined make far better neighbors than blood/freedom sucking CA liberals.

Rick

Very well said Rick....If I was ever to move out of Ozark county here in MO. I would step across the line and move to north central Arkansas.We are in Mountain Home a lot to shop...........Terry

smoked turkey
05-14-2014, 11:32 AM
I am another southwest Missouri native. I like it here for a lot of reasons and that includes the water moccasins, copperheads, black widows, brown recluse, skunks, mountain lions, bobcats, coyotes, armadillos, opossum, deer, turkey, rabbits, squirrel, and the occasional quail. Some have reported seeing black bear, and elk have been re-introduced in the south central part of the state. I do not like the chiggers, ticks, & tornadoes, but I guess every place has to have something for us to complain about. We have our share of liberals in the big cities that seem to be a large enough voting block to override common sense on some issues when it comes to voting for conservative issues and that is a concern to me. Land can still be had for good prices, and there are enough of us common, God fearing, Bible believing folk here to make it a dang nice place to live and raise a family. If you are one of them come on down cause we can use you to help keep us free as a state and a nation.

Just Duke
05-14-2014, 11:53 AM

smokeywolf

Then SW MO is not the place to go then!!! PM me and I'll fill you in. Remember that is the Ozarks and they have their own way of dealing with thing. Trust me! I have scores of documentation. Rolla possibly. KC MO might be better. Or stay in CA. What's accepted in CA is not generally accepted elsewhere.
TX sigh........ I'll get back with you.
For the record, I have zero issues. PM sent with my new number.

Just Duke
05-14-2014, 12:17 PM
JFYI TX is not a gun friendly state. Walk down the street there with a gun on and go to jail. They have also abandoned their no conceal carry policy FINALLY!!! and you can now get conceal weapons permits.
TX has never had open carry. I love the culture but I will not live in a police state. OR WA NV AZ MO TN AL ME ID MT WY are not police states. We had two retired TX rangers spouting off anti gun sentiment and how civies shouldn't have guns at one of our dinner parties and Bobbie, the host lady, picked up both of their dinner plates and were escorted to the door by several others. Bobbie and her hubby were both from TX and said that's why they left because of the anti gun laws to the other guests. We all shoot together BTW.
Their penal system is a cottage industry.
Some states if you break the law you get a fine. There, they put you in a work camp and exploit your present trade.
We looked at a ranch north of Paris TX and the taxes were 18K a year property tax. Some of the others were 8, 10, and 12K the lowest was 6K and yes that was with cattle and homestead exemptions. When you hit 65 they deduct $2500.00 which is what you pay every year in school tax, from your senior tax.
I'm sorry...............................I'm not paying $2500.00 a year for someone else's kid to attend school. I have no children is why.

TX women are they best on the planet. That and 39 inches of rain is about all TX has that I would want. Duke don't rodeo.......

cbrick
05-14-2014, 12:22 PM
We have our share of liberals in the big cities that seem to be a large enough voting block to override common sense

Bingo! Most people don't realize it but the majority of CA is conservative. It's the two population centers of Los Angeles and San Francisco and the concentration of liberals that override the rest of the state in every election. These are the same people that fully believe that the wilderness is the vacant lot next to the 7-11 store and they vote accordingly.

In the elections here in AR there is a young lady running for Arkansas Attorney General. Her TV ad says . . . I am a Christian, Conservative, Pro Life, gun carrying woman and I will fight Obama and Pelosi's liberal agenda. The young lady has my vote. AR has one "R" Senator and one "D" Senator, the "D" is up for re-election this year and he is running scarred as he should be, obummer lost AR by big numbers. Last year he voted pro gun on the issues in the Senate (it was after all the year before an election) but on everything else he is in lock step with obummer. This "D" has been very anti Keystone pipeline but all of a sudden this week he is all for it. Typical "D" in an election year. AR passed a voter ID law and the "D's" are screaming bloody murder about voters being disenfranchised and it seems as if they are correct, voters being disenfranchised. Seems all those "D's" residing in cemeteries don't have photo ID's because they aren't very photogenic.

It's great living in America!

Rick

Just Duke
05-14-2014, 12:31 PM
Bingo! Most people don't realize it but the majority of CA is conservative. It's the two population centers of Los Angeles and San Francisco and the concentration of liberals that override the rest of the state in every election. These are the same people that fully believe that the wilderness is the vacant lot next to the 7-11 store and they vote accordingly.

In the elections here in AR there is a young lady running for Arkansas Attorney General. Her TV ad says . . . I am a Christian, Conservative, Pro Life, gun carrying woman and I will fight Obama and Pelosi's liberal agenda. The young lady has my vote. AR has one "R" Senator and one "D" Senator, the "D" is up for re-election this year and he is running scarred as he should be, obummer lost AR by big numbers. Last year he voted pro gun on the issues in the Senate (it was after all the year before an election) but on everything else he is in lock step with obummer. This "D" has been very anti Keystone pipeline but all of a sudden this week he is all for it. Typical "D" in an election year. AR passed a voter ID law and the "D's" are screaming bloody murder about voters being disenfranchised and it seems as if they are correct, voters being disenfranchised. Seems all those "D's" residing in cemeteries don't have photo ID's because they aren't very photogenic.

It's great living in America!

Rick

I'm told the good people of CA have a rat infestation in Sac. Are these sewer rats?

starmac
05-14-2014, 01:08 PM
Texas is a police state?? How many other states have no-billed anyone that has killed a cop during a no knock raid. I have been gone from Texas for a few years now, but do go back and visit. After reading your post, I am sceered to go visit family now.

As far as gun friendly, they were far from the first to offer ccw permits, maybe because nobody cared and carried anyway when I was growing up. As far as putting people in prison, they do not have a problem putting bad guys in prison, or even the chair when warranted. I don't see that as a bad thing.

Just Duke
05-14-2014, 01:18 PM
Texas is a police state?? How many other states have no-billed anyone that has killed a cop during a no knock raid. I have been gone from Texas for a few years now, but do go back and visit. After reading your post, I am sceered to go visit family now.

As far as gun friendly, they were far from the first to offer ccw permits, maybe because nobody cared and carried anyway when I was growing up. As far as putting people in prison, they do not have a problem putting bad guys in prison, or even the chair when warranted. I don't see that as a bad thing.

They have only had concealed for a year or two. Then there is the "Imprinting Law" <eyes rolling> They just don't want folks to carry there. Imprinting law is an excuse. Please.

Just Duke
05-14-2014, 01:20 PM
https://www.google.com/search?q=tx+police+fleecing+motoristis+for+money&oq=tx+police+fleecing+motoristis+for+money&aqs=chrome..69i57.13742j0j7&sourceid=chrome&es_sm=122&ie=UTF-8

starmac
05-14-2014, 01:33 PM
I am not saying it is perfect, by any means. I guess if it was I would still live there I have spent at least a little time in every state except for Hi and Me and it is much better than most as far as rights go. The only real thing I don't like about Texas is the weather, and there is virtually no hunting, camping or any other outdoor activities except on your own property or property you lease.

jumbeaux
05-14-2014, 01:34 PM
Duke I have been a CHL Holder since 1995...so you are dead wrong about the concealed carry issue. Open carry is legal for long arms...always has been...heck it has been customary to have a rifle and shotgun in the window rack of your pickup for all of my 60 years. There are some restrictions such as court houses etc. Texas recognizes a vast majority of the other CHL states...I suggest you stay where you are...we are getting along fine without people like you sir...

rick

Just Duke
05-14-2014, 02:06 PM
Duke I have been a CHL Holder since 1995...so you are dead wrong about the concealed carry issue. Open carry is legal for long arms...always has been...heck it has been customary to have a rifle and shotgun in the window rack of your pickup for all of my 60 years. There are some restrictions such as court houses etc. Texas recognizes a vast majority of the other CHL states...I suggest you stay where you are...we are getting along fine without people like you sir...

rick

A rifle and a shotgun in a gun rack is not a handgun in a holster on a person. So no you don't have open carry and probably never will.
Pull into a Walmart and leave that rifle and shotgun in the rack and go into a store and see how long it's there these days.
And sir.
Try not to be so sensitive. "I suggest you stay where you are...we are getting along fine without people like you sir..." <eyes rolling>
My late grandparents ranched in TX. BTW

Just Duke
05-14-2014, 02:21 PM
OK for all here I just got off the phone with TX Concealed carry and they said it goes all the way back to 1998 or more possibly from what the lady said.
That said, that does not make me a bad person because I was misinformed now does it. I'll play my "I stand corrected card" now. lol

Just Duke
05-14-2014, 02:23 PM
http://www.opencarry.org/?page_id=304
"Texas is not a traditional open carry state. They also do not allow open carry, or even printing, by those who have a concealed carry permit." http://my.opencarry.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/OCDO_Sidebar.jpeg

jumbeaux
05-14-2014, 02:44 PM
If you are going to make the statement then clarify handgun versus long gun...since I have lived here for 60 years and parked my pickup in the Wal-Mart parking lot a time or two I can tell you from personal experience I have never had one stolen...Texas is just like most states...the bigger cities are less gun friendly...and no I would not leave a long gun in the back window while parked in Dallas, Ft.Worth, Houston , San Antonio etc...since you live in the NW/W answer a question for me...can you open carry a handgun in Portland ? Seattle ? Reno ? Las Vegas ? Also, $18,000 in annual property taxes in that part of the state (Paris) means you were looking at a darn big place...good friends ranch up that way. If you don't mind whose place was it and how big was it ?

rick

starmac
05-14-2014, 02:59 PM
I don't know or care when Texas legalized concealed carry, bu I do know for a fact everybody that was inclined carried from the 60's through the 80's, and I never knew anyone that was not breaking the law ever being charged for it, even when they had to use it. I was in a bar in the 70's when a younger guy (my age at the time) started giving an older guy a hard time. My BIL was visiting from NM, and ask if I was going to stop it. I told him to set back and watch, as he was fixing to learn something. lol
It wasn't long before that clown was looking dead into the bore of the old dudes pistol, and several more had his buddies covered.
That crew decided there was better places to drink beer.
I never knew of the cops there hassling anybody for carrying a gun, unless they were involved in something illegal. I am sure there were instances, but it was not the norm, and I spent time in a lot of the state.
One time after I moved to NM, I was back in Texas (west Texas) with a friend (also from NM) that was stopped for a traffic violation. There was a 44 laying in the seat between us, and the trooper ask why. My friend told him he carried quite a bit of money. The trooper ask how much, and he told him none of his business. That was the end of that conversation, he did get a warning for speeding though.

Just Duke
05-14-2014, 03:32 PM
If you are going to make the statement then clarify handgun versus long gun...since I have lived here for 60 years and parked my pickup in the Wal-Mart parking lot a time or two I can tell you from personal experience I have never had one stolen...Texas is just like most states...the bigger cities are less gun friendly...and no I would not leave a long gun in the back window while parked in Dallas, Ft.Worth, Houston , San Antonio etc...since you live in the NW/W answer a question for me...can you open carry a handgun in Portland ? Seattle ? Reno ? Las Vegas ? Also, $18,000 in annual property taxes in that part of the state (Paris) means you were looking at a darn big place...good friends ranch up that way. If you don't mind whose place was it and how big was it ?

rick
BIG!
Yes the bigger the place the further I am from oppression.
Looking at history the the Nazi's controlled the cities in France. I will choose to live in the French country side in non Nazi occupied territory if you get my drift.
If you don't think we live under oppression Goggle Bundy Ranch.
I would probably hardly ever leave the confines of the property/oasis of freedom.
I have been contacted by one of our northern neighbors and was told that if I just go pull the lever on a voting both I can magically change laws we find unjust. Maybe on Star Trek but not in the real world.
I will say I would rather go live with cowboys than the hippies back up north. Although things turned to normalcy 1/2 hour out of town or 45 minutes from Starbucks or an hour from a Birkenstock store.
OR and WA offer a plethora of personal freedoms.

http://www.opencarry.org/?page_id=290
http://www.opencarry.org/?page_id=312
http://www.opencarry.org/?page_id=272
Heck! until about a 1-1/2 years ago you could open carry in the Northern half of CA. The southern half of the state lost their right years ago by someone that starred in a movie "Bed Time For Bonzo".

We wear this and other rigs to go shoot at Bass Pro Shops and just walk into the store.
In AZ the day I crossed the border (1989) with horse trailer in tow my buddy and I strapped on our guns the minute we crossed the border. I guess that makes me a bitter clinger.
I only took mine off to shower.

http://i921.photobucket.com/albums/ad54/LEVERACTIONSHOOTERS/HATS/REDNECKS2.png~original (http://s921.photobucket.com/user/LEVERACTIONSHOOTERS/media/HATS/REDNECKS2.png.html)

Just Duke
05-14-2014, 04:25 PM
I don't know or care when Texas legalized concealed carry, bu I do know for a fact everybody that was inclined carried from the 60's through the 80's, and I never knew anyone that was not breaking the law ever being charged for it,

Respectfully I just checked my calender it's now 5/14/2014 and around 9 months ago there was a big push to disarm the population, hence we now have ammo, shortages and reloading component shortages. As a youth I would tote my .22 to school and had a rifle range in the basement or go shoot out at the Platte River afterwards.
Again respectfully things have changed. I'll contact Gearnasher and have him join in.
So the gest of it is a lot has changed since the "80's".

starmac
05-14-2014, 04:49 PM
It has changed everywhere, and not for the better in most places. I was just mentioning that the mindset of Texans, was they didn't have a need for a cc law, because they carried anyway. I still go back to Texas now and then, and am in contact with Folks that still live there over a wide area weekly, so even though it is 5/14/2014 I have a pretty good grasp on how Texas living and working. My place in NM is just 18 miles from Texas, sooo even all the years I lived in NM, I still did my shopping in Texas.

bbs70
05-14-2014, 05:09 PM
You could meet new friends there.

http://www.freewebs.com/rrherps/photos/Venomous%20Snakes%20of%20South%20Carolina/Cottonmouth.jpg

While I don't particularly care for snakes, I can get use to them.
Learn their ways and know how to avoid them.
However here in Illinois we have Obama coming from Chicago.
Rahm Emanuel who thinks he runs the state but takes his orders from Obama.
Then we have governor Quinn who takes his orders from Obama and Mike Madigan.

So I figure if I get out of Il I'll be ahead and a lot safer.
Different vipers you know;)

jumbeaux
05-14-2014, 06:44 PM
We wear this and other rigs to go shoot at Bass Pro Shops and just walk into the store.

http://i921.photobucket.com/albums/ad54/LEVERACTIONSHOOTERS/HATS/REDNECKS2.png~original (http://s921.photobucket.com/user/LEVERACTIONSHOOTERS/media/HATS/REDNECKS2.png.html)[/QUOTE]

Well sir I got to admit y'all "pretty up" real well...

rick

smokeywolf
05-14-2014, 07:03 PM
Don't know about how pretty Duke is, but Miss Barbie sure is easy on the eyes.

smokeywolf

Just Duke
05-14-2014, 07:23 PM
Don't know about how pretty Duke is, but Miss Barbie sure is easy on the eyes.

smokeywolf

I'm not much to look at. She said thank you. ;)

ebner glocken
05-14-2014, 08:59 PM
Then SW MO is not the place to go then!!! PM me and I'll fill you in. Remember that is the Ozarks and they have their own way of dealing with thing. Trust me! I have scores of documentation. Rolla possibly. KC MO might be better. Or stay in CA. What's accepted in CA is not generally accepted elsewhere.
TX sigh........ I'll get back with you.
For the record, I have zero issues. PM sent with my new number.
Odd, living around the Springfield area all my life I guess we'll have to inform the Asian community. Plenty of them seem to do quite well around here. If you're ever in Springfield and can't find an Asian place to eat you're blind and have no sense of smell.

Ebner

Just Duke
05-14-2014, 10:27 PM
Odd, living around the Springfield area all my life I guess we'll have to inform the Asian community. Plenty of them seem to do quite well around here. If you're ever in Springfield and can't find an Asian place to eat you're blind and have no sense of smell.

Ebner

All 1.9 percent of them too. lol
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Springfield,_Missouri
As of the census[2] of 2010, there were 159,498 people, 69,754 households, and 35,453 families residing in the city. The population density was 1,951.8 inhabitants per square mile (753.6 /km2). There were 77,620 housing units at an average density of 949.8 per square mile (366.7 /km2). The racial makeup of the city was 88.7% White, 4.1% African American, 0.8% Native American, 1.9% Asian, 0.2% Pacific Islander, 1.2% from other races, and 3.2% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 3.7% of the population.

Back to the question he asked. Ok so it clearly states he's not looking for an Asian Restaurant and not looking to join the Asian community. Also he stated he was looking for somewhere with acreage he could possibly raise livestock. I would hazard to say there are no ranches or farms inside the urban areas of Springfield. I highlighted it in red.
Can you guarantee this racially diverse couple, that will be moving halfway across the US, anyone casting animosity against them?

smokeywolf

bearcove
05-14-2014, 11:12 PM
I like the north half of the state better. The south is a pile of rocks.

starmac
05-15-2014, 12:36 AM
I don't plan to farm anything bigger than a big garden, so a rockpile is fine. lol

what I get from this thread is everywhere is the best place to live and everywhere is a terrible place to live. lol

Now what I always heard is home is what you make it. I heard a guy ask an old guy in the little podunk NM town that I lived in several years ago, how it was living their and how was the people. The guy which was a friend of mine ask him where he was from and how was the people where he lived. The guy said they were basically a$$holes where he lived, and Bill told him they would be the same here. If you think about that a bit, he was right.

bbs70
05-15-2014, 10:01 AM
I thank all for the input.

I got called off work Tuesday & decided on a day trip to Mo.
Pretty area even if it was misting rain all day.
Drove through the towns and the Mark Twain forest.
The people were great and the scenery was wonderful.

But hospitals, doctors, & grocery stores are some distance away from the areas I liked.
I guess I'm too use to having things closer to me.
But at 66 yrs old you tend to have to reorganize your priorities.

Still want out of Il, just have to look somewhere else.

Cornbread
05-15-2014, 11:07 AM
But hospitals, doctors, & grocery stores are some distance away from the areas I liked.
I guess I'm too use to having things closer to me.
But at 66 yrs old you tend to have to reorganize your priorities.

What is your definition of too far for:
Hospital
Doctor
Dentist
Optometrist
Grocery Store
Department Stores (Walmart, Target etc.)

???

doc1876
05-15-2014, 03:05 PM
BBs 70,

Rick and Terry have a lot of good points. I am staying in Festus fight now, and am trying to figure a way to permanently move from Madison co. Ill. You will find that there is great health care in St, Gen, and if you are a vet, you will get great care in Little Rock, which constitutes Ar. Good luck, I have people here and in LR.
Steve

cobroller
05-15-2014, 03:30 PM
I like the north half of the state better. The south is a pile of rocks.

yes,we have lots of rocks--we dug a lot of lead out of them. and then there's the trees==walnut for gun stocks, oak for the whiskey barrels, and hickory for the barbecue.

s mac
05-15-2014, 04:23 PM
Having lots of rocks isn't always a bad thing, it's a rare thing to get stuck in the mud.

smokeywolf
05-15-2014, 08:52 PM
In Southern MO. from what we've read, property taxes are comparatively low, but with a small ranch with the ancillary equipment (tractor, attachments, ATVs, etc.), do the personal property taxes completely offset those low property taxes. What could I expect to pay in homeowner's insurance on an 80 acre parcel (not in flood plain) with a 2,400 sq. ft. house, 900 sq. ft. shop, 1,200 sq. ft. barn?

smokeywolf

smoked turkey
05-15-2014, 09:30 PM
smokeywolf, that is a hard question to answer because it seems that the different counties in this part of the state each have their own way of determining property values. Then the school districts where most of the tax money seems to go have different tax levies based on bond issues for construction of buildings, equipment, etc. Our county taxes are in two parts. One is for your real property which is your land and buildings, and the other is for your personal property, consisting of your automobiles, tractors and equipment, boats and RVs if you have them. Newer cars and trucks really run this up and makes for most of your personal property taxes. This gets a little personal for each of us. I will say that I have a 37 year old home on sixty acres of land so poor that about all I can raise on it is the American Flag(mostly rocks as has been mentioned), barn, and shop building such as you said. I have a pretty nice car and an old Dodge truck, a tractor and equipment, and an old boat that hasn't seen the water in two or three years and my tax bill is about $1300 per year. So hopefully that will give you something for your grist mill to grind on a while.

rmatchell
05-16-2014, 10:26 AM
I am in festus Missouri, about 35 miles or so south of St Louis. I would say that as long as you go south of Jefferson county you would be fine. Lots of land and decent prices.

blackthorn
05-16-2014, 11:26 AM
Smoky Wolf---900 sq. ft.. shop is too small! Trust me, I had a 30x40 (1200sq ft.) shop built when I retired and it aint big enough. There is no room for the vehicles! Then again---I'm not sure if whatever I built would be "big enough"!!!!

MaryB
05-17-2014, 12:03 AM
My shortest drive for anything is a 50 mile round trip, and I would not live closer to civilization if you paid me!

Cornbread
05-17-2014, 12:22 AM
My shortest drive for anything is a 50 mile round trip, and I would not live closer to civilization if you paid me!

I'm with you there, that's why I asked him what is too far. It is 1.5 hr drive at 70mph to Missoula from here and that is the only place that has any kind of stores other than a hardware or a feed store. Most people around here make a once a month trip down and stock up on what they need. Little stuff you can get at the little grocery store in T-Falls but it will cost you at least double the price in Missoula. Only the tourists can afford to shop there for much at all. The only thing we have close by is a hospital and that is because of some kind of grant because too many people died in accidents up here due to the long distance to Missoula so they built one on a grant of some sort for poor rural communities or something to that extent. Anyway we have doctors and a hospital near by but anything else you need to learn how to shop once a month for, also Amazon, Midway, Bailey's etc. become your best friend but that's how I like it :)

OnceFired
05-17-2014, 12:34 AM
I love the area around Springfield (mostly North or East of there) or outside Branson like Forsyth. That's where my wife's parents retired to. Great cost of living, but zero jobs. I tried finding work at the few big employers there (I'm in marketing) and got zip over 3 months. Couldn't stay.

That said, retiring there wouldn't be a bad deal at all. Gorgeous green, plenty of rain but not too crazy of winters, cheap land / elbow room, etc.

fatnhappy
05-17-2014, 09:37 AM
The second largest American battleship ever to sail the deep blue sea.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/e8/Missouri_post_refit.JPG

jumbeaux
05-17-2014, 10:13 AM
My aunt and uncle (now deceased) had a really nice place outside of Marshfield, Mo...Marshfield is east of Springfield. It is a really nice area of the state. They lived in the country north and east of town. Cost of living was reasonable. Springfield is about an hour or so away. Not too far from Lake Taneycomo (great trout fishing)...NW Arkansas is a nice area and pretty reasonable cost of living...

rick

Russel Nash
05-17-2014, 11:40 AM
I am looking to move to Missouri, also.

I will probably sneak in to AR15.com to the Missouri Hometown Forum and post the question. It would have to be north of St. Louis, though.

mizzouri1
05-18-2014, 09:34 PM
+1 for s.e mo.
i was born and raised in farmington, mo. great town!! about 60 miles south of st. louis.
about an hour away from great river or lake fishing, mark twain forests and conservation land everywhere.
still here after 54 years. :smile:

Three-Fifty-Seven
05-18-2014, 11:06 PM
to ...

smokeywolf
05-18-2014, 11:24 PM
Anyone have an educated guess as to what I should expect to pay in homeowner's insurance on an 80 acre parcel (not in flood plain) with a 2,500 sq. ft. house, 1,000 sq. ft. shop, 1,200 sq. ft. barn located in say, Dent or Christian Counties.

smokeywolf

doc1876
05-19-2014, 11:06 AM
You shouldn't be too bad, I don't know if you are familiar with American Family, they have good rates. I hear Farmers Group just had a lot of raises across the board, which is not good, as it is popular around here. most "land" insurances are cheaper than in town houses insurances. I hear of people paying around 1000 for something a less (25 acres) than what you are quoting.