PDA

View Full Version : Marlin Mag Tube Wiggles

BruceB
09-10-2005, 12:03 AM
My .32 Special Marlin Model 36, not 336, has a bit of movement of the magazine tube that I can't seem to eliminate.

The full-length tube has a band ahead of the front sight which clamps the tube to the barrel, and there's a screw which goes through the band side-to-side between the barrel and mag. That screw is TIGHT-tight, and yet I can still move the mag back and forth (sideways) a bit with very moderate hand pressure.

I wouldn't be surprised to find that shifts in the magazine tube's position could have very nasty effects on groups and accuracy.

Suggestions?

Frank46
09-10-2005, 12:27 AM
BruceB, one gun writer who's name escapes me at this time (senior moment here) suggested using a tapered pin to slightly expand the receiver end of the mag tube to where it is a close fit. Sounded kinda drastic to me, but you can always fall back of silicone adhesive. Put some on the outside of the tube and reassemble your lever action and let cure. Just make sure you do not get any on the inside of the tube. For what its worth. Frank

NVcurmudgeon
09-10-2005, 12:42 AM
Bruce, are you referring to that .32 Special "thing of beauty and joy forever?"
It seemed OK in May! Seriously, I have never done any accurizing on a lever action to speak of, but I have read (yeah, I know) a couple of articles on accurizing lever guns that advocated loose magazine tubes. Both of these were with regard to Winchester 94s, which have a band/screw setup like you describe. Have you tried removing the magazine entirely and/or wedging it tight with paper shims? That way you could check it out without doing anything that can't be taken back.

BlueMoon
09-10-2005, 03:39 PM
Bruce,

I took the magazine tubes and front stock off my 336 and 1894 Marlins last weekend to check for rust and such under the stock. No rust but a good cleaning and oiling (Sheath). Both of my front bands were behind the front sights so that the sights had to be removed to slide the band off. Same with the rear band and front stock. No tip but if you take the tube off and look over everything, you may see a way to tighten up the fit some way and check out your hidden metal at the same time. Watch out for soft metal on the screws and the proper fitting screwdriver.

Bill

beagle
09-10-2005, 10:45 PM
I'm a big beleiver in a somewhat loose magazine tube on Marlin as well as Winchester levers. If it's tight or has too much magazine spring tendion on it, they won't shoot from my experiences. The first thing I do is cut all but about 6" of excess magazine sping and insure there's some play in the magazine tube. Then, tthey'll shoot./beagle

Char-Gar
09-11-2005, 07:39 AM
If the rifle shoots well with a loose tube, I would not mess with it. I agree with Buckshot that a looser tube may help accuracy.

However, If that tube bothers you for whatever reason, a wrap or two of Beagle tape (alluminum AC duct tape) on the tube at that point should cure the problem. Keep it about 3/4th. the width of the band and it should be invisable.

PatMarlin
09-17-2005, 09:54 AM
One fix I did on my .35 Rem 336 was use the rubber electricle tape that can be stretched as thin as you need it for an invisable shim.

Also the screws change with firing, and not wanting to tighten them too much, I used a fine bit of teflon tape on the threads. Seem to hold where ever I want to put em' now.