PDA

View Full Version : Joseph Oregon any info please.

koehn,jim
05-11-2014, 01:44 PM
My Godson is going there for 5 months on a Hotshot team of fire fighters, and I would like any info on the place on thins to do like fish. He cant take a gun so no shooting but what kind of fishing would be nice to know.

376Steyr
05-11-2014, 02:02 PM
Main fishing in that part of the state is for trout. Be aware that the game laws of Oregon are enforced by the Oregon State Police, who are a grim and humorless lot, even by game warden standards. He better make sure his license and equipment are in order before putting a line in the water, as the OSP don't believe in issuing warnings, and would rather write tickets with hefty fines, especially to Californians.

onceabull
05-11-2014, 02:03 PM
Mountain Lakes trout fishing opportunities abound..Not sure about timing for the steelhead in the Grand Ronde, as we have enough locally. (W.Idaho)..Should find time to do "something" in Hells Canyon while that close... A Beautiful part of the world... Onceabull

DCP
05-11-2014, 06:10 PM
Thank your Grandson for his service.
May he stay safe and have lots of time for fishing.

Vaya con Dios

mpbarry1
05-12-2014, 01:17 AM
Was there yesterday for a track meet! lol. I have a friend that runs the helibase there. let me know you need help. I am on the type 3 team. maybe ill see him this summer.

dale2242
05-12-2014, 09:05 AM
I don`t know where 376Styr got his info about the game wardens here in Oregon.
I`ve been a life long hunter/fisherman here for over 60 years and only encountered one that I thought was unreasonable.
I know a few of the personally and most are very fair.
Just get a copy of the fishing regs and follow them.
If you obey the fish/game laws, you have no reason to fear the Game wardens.....dale

koehn,jim
05-12-2014, 09:35 AM
Thanks for the info guys he is due up there june 1st.

Cornbread
05-12-2014, 10:49 PM
Main fishing in that part of the state is for trout. Be aware that the game laws of Oregon are enforced by the Oregon State Police, who are a grim and humorless lot, even by game warden standards. He better make sure his license and equipment are in order before putting a line in the water, as the OSP don't believe in issuing warnings, and would rather write tickets with hefty fines, especially to Californians.

I lived in Oregon for a lot of years after I got out of the Marines and even did the state trooper thing for a bit there before deciding to finish my engineering path at University.

If you meet a game warden or state trooper and they seem humorless let me tell you why. Training for state troopers is generally in Astoria so any time you have training you have to drive out and back to Astoria which means you lose your off days getting to and from training. If you don't have training chances are really good at least 90% or more of your court dates are scheduled for your off days so they don't conflict with duty or training days. When I did it we had guys that had gone 9 months without a single period of 24hours off where they weren't either in court or driving to and from training.

Every day on the job all you have is conflict, every time you pull someone over they want to argue, or cry or swear at you, fight you etc. Everyone has an excuse for why they were doing what they did be it game violation or speeding or reckless driving and so on. Game violations generally mean you are dealing with people who are not only going to argue, make stuff up etc. they are also armed and have often been drinking or are stoned....and lucky you as a state trooper you get to deal with these numbskulls day in and day out often times going close to a year without a real off day. All for the lovely starting wage of 17 bucks an hour.

....after a couple years of that yep you bet we stopped giving warnings. Just write the ticket and see them in court on what should be your off day.

That in a nutshell is why they may seem humorless and or like they are having a bad day.....and now you know why I quit to become an engineer :) OSP was hands down one of the worst jobs I have ever had.

Cornbread
05-12-2014, 11:12 PM
As for the original question, fishing is mostly trout although if wants to run over toward Pendleton McKay reservoir has perch. The Snake river has steelhead runs as well but by far and away most of the little lakes around there are trout lakes. Wallowa lake has or had when I lived there trout, kokanee, and lake trout although without a boat the other two species besides trout are pretty tough to catch.

MaryB
05-13-2014, 11:45 PM
Might run into a friend of mine who manages the fire fighting part of the Forest Service up that way. Well she goes all over the country now and even to DC to give reports. Still goes out on the battle line though to swing a pick and use a shovel.