PDA

View Full Version : Gun friendly case liner?

2ndAmendmentNut
05-11-2014, 12:22 PM
I am moderately skilled with wood working and would like to make a few cases for some of my nicer guns.

What is a gun friendly liner that will not draw/hold moisture?

2ndAmendmentNut
05-13-2014, 09:40 AM
Anyone know what those gun socks are made out of? I suppose I could use a similar material and silicon spray.

DLCTEX
05-13-2014, 05:17 PM
I was interested in a response also.

JSnover
05-13-2014, 05:28 PM
Maybe a strip of Teflon or nylon along the points of contact. It doesn't absorb anything and it won't scratch.

W.R.Buchanan
05-13-2014, 09:20 PM
Nice gun cases have wool material as liners. I found this out recently when I said it was felt, it is not it is wool.

A trip to http://www.jeffsoutfitters.com/Canvas_Leather_Hard_Cases_71.aspx?categoryid=71

Will show you how it is supposed to be done.

Randy

lancem
05-14-2014, 12:27 AM
I always thought that the cases were for transport not storage. I used velvet for my cases, easy to work with, looks nice, at home the guns are in the safe...

2ndAmendmentNut
05-17-2014, 02:41 PM
What are fancy shotgun cases lined with? I shoot with a few guys that have high end Kohlers and Krieghoffs. Those guns are stored in their cases and still look very nice even though they have had tens of thousands of round put through them.

WallyM3
05-17-2014, 02:57 PM
I thought most felt was either synthetic or wool.:shock:

DCM
05-17-2014, 11:00 PM
Nice gun cases have wool material as liners. I found this out recently when I said it was felt, it is not it is wool.

A trip to http://www.jeffsoutfitters.com/Canvas_Leather_Hard_Cases_71.aspx?categoryid=71

Will show you how it is supposed to be done.

Randy

Thank you Randy.
I have similar special projects in the works.

lefty o
05-19-2014, 12:30 AM
What are fancy shotgun cases lined with? I shoot with a few guys that have high end Kohlers and Krieghoffs. Those guns are stored in their cases and still look very nice even though they have had tens of thousands of round put through them. i cant say 100% for certain, but my americase (thats what most guys put those expensive shotguns in) is some kind of a velvet. definately isnt felt. doesnt hold moisture, and wears fairly well. my citori XT lives in the case, and after 5 years of weekly use, it still looks pretty darned nice(the case, and the gun). 'd contact americase, and see if they will tell you.

markshere2
05-21-2014, 10:21 PM
my buddy had a couple rifles in gun socks.
Rusty as all get out when he checked on them after a few months.

I am not buying any...

shoot-n-lead
05-21-2014, 10:26 PM
i cant say 100% for certain, but my americase (thats what most guys put those expensive shotguns in) is some kind of a velvet. definately isnt felt. doesnt hold moisture, and wears fairly well. my citori XT lives in the case, and after 5 years of weekly use, it still looks pretty darned nice(the case, and the gun). 'd contact americase, and see if they will tell you.

I have several guns that have been stored in the same cases for 30yrs and they still look new. Also, these are not high-end cases, just run of the mill cases as I did not have the money to buy a top quality case after I bought the gun back then.

BNE
05-21-2014, 10:32 PM
Closed cell foam is pretty cool. [ATTACH=CONFIG]

I made this for my boss. The case is from a DeWalt drill case. Cut with a water jet. That is his actual signature that a friend was able to have the water jet cut out.

This is for an 8" SW 44 mag.

WallyM3
05-21-2014, 10:46 PM
Drat! "Invalid Attachment"

BNE
05-22-2014, 12:25 AM
Ok my picture worked when I tried again.

iomskp
05-22-2014, 04:22 AM
I think from memory the material they use as a liner in gun cases is the same as they cover billiard tables with it is Baize, I may be wrong though.

lefty o
05-22-2014, 09:17 AM
pool tables are covered in felt, not good for a gun case.

gnoahhh
05-22-2014, 10:48 AM
I use pool table felt in the wood presentation cases I make. It is thicker and tougher than the el-cheapo felt you find in craft stores. Baize used in traditional English cased sets is nothing but that, or so I believe. A lot of those cases are have been protecting their contents for well over a century now and have served admirably as such. Elegant and durable- what's not to like?

05-22-2014, 11:34 AM
I always thought felt was wool that had been felted.

freebullet
05-22-2014, 12:03 PM
Any synthetic fabric would do. Nylon would be a good choice with a velvet or velour finish. You can use a solvent based spray on fabric protector for longevity.

You can tell if a fabric is natural or synthetic using a simple burn test. If it forms ash its natural, if it forms a hard (plastic like) ball its synthetic.

You can buy solvent based fabric protectors in aerosol cans. It will have a flammable warning on the can water based won't have that warning. Spray it on outside.

You can find really nice looking velvet and velour (like those used in nice shotgun cases) finished synthetics on clearance at the fabric store. You should wash those types of fabric after cutting them to remove the fuzz they will leave all over your gun.

Hope that helps.

Col4570
05-28-2014, 10:29 AM
iomskp,you are spot on,Gun cases are still made with Baize lining as used for Snooker Tables.