PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else notice something odd?

TXGunNut
05-11-2014, 12:22 PM
In recent months I've seen more than a few threads by folks with join dates of more than a few years ago with very low post counts asking newbie-type questions. Some even seem to be bordering on trolling. I'm wondering if someone is hacking inactive member info to conceal identity. Not sure why, but IME hackers seem to derive pleasure in ways I don't understand.

Love Life
05-11-2014, 12:27 PM
I see what you see, but from my comprehension on the matter, it is just members who are just now getting into casting. I see it as normal and hopefully they learn a lot and get set up casting safely and successfully.

JonB_in_Glencoe
05-11-2014, 01:12 PM
As Love Life...I see it too.

I've probably joined a hundred forums in the past decade, usually to ask one question or two, then never to return.

With all the newbies to reloading since the newtown shooting, and shortages of components...some are entering the casting hobby. They 'find' castboolits again and ask the newbie questions...seems simple enough, I don't think it's a troll thing.

TXGunNut
05-11-2014, 01:37 PM
I hope ya'll are right, makes sense anyway. Just seemed odd. I like new folks, even if they joined more than a few years back. I'm comparably new around here myself. Just hard for me to imagine folks being members since 2005 or 2009 with only a few posts. Sometimes life gets in the way, I guess. My initial casting setup remained boxed up for a few years while I dealt with estate matters.

parson48
05-11-2014, 01:46 PM
I've been a member since 2007 and have only a few over 100 posts even though I visit here almost daily. . No particular motives. Some people just listen more than they talk.

TXGunNut
05-11-2014, 01:54 PM
I've been a member since 2007 and have only a few over 100 posts even though I visit here almost daily. . No particular motives. Some people just listen more than they talk.

Point taken. I post more than most but I spend most of my time reading and quite often making notes on subjects I'm working on. I think that someone like you would have quite a bit to contribute, but to each his own.

Beagle333
05-11-2014, 02:03 PM
I've probably joined a hundred forums in the past decade, usually to ask one question or two, then never to return.

Ditto. I got a list of passwords and handles on the wall for sites I've only been to once or twice, usually on a reference to check em out, and just haven't had a reason to go back. But I keep the passwords so I don't have to go through registering again, if I ever get interested in that site's offerings.

I wouldn't be able to tell you my post count here without looking. Once you get past enough required to buy and sell, it's not really a milestone.

Duckiller
05-11-2014, 04:50 PM
New people with high post counts may be the real trolls. Have you posted something worthwhile or just to see your post count go up. Some good members have recently left.

spec234
05-11-2014, 05:59 PM
I could fit in that criteria. I've been registered here for a couple of years, when I first started reloading, and have rarely posted anything until recently.

When i first started out, I was using a 200 grain .452 rnfp commercial cast bullet and couldn't find any data in my books for loading for it for .45acp. At the time I'd just started out, and only had a couple of load manuals. A member of another forum I frequent sent me here and told me if it had to do with cast boolits, I'd find the answers here. He was right.

I have visited this site often since I first joined up. I've read many of the stickies, tons of threads, and studied a lot of the things I'd never really thought about such as gas checks and alloys. I haven't asked a lot of questions because pretty much anything I was curious about was somewhere on this site if I read long enough. I think many longtime members here don't realize how many people they actually reach out to when they reply to posts. You may answer one person's post but there may be many others with the same problem that find their answer in your replies.

After running short on some 40 s&w bullets, I've decided to try to cast my own. Thanks to members from this site, I've started making a list of equipment I'd need to cast for two calibers. I hope to place an order by the middle of the week, so now I find myself posting more, with what are probably simple questions that have been asked a thousand times.

Not sure about other posters, but with some commercial casters going up in price and having delays in orders, (zcast bullets has a 6 week delay) maybe they are ready to try casting boolits too.

I look forward to trying my hand at boolit casting and am confident. Not only in my abilities but in all of the members' abilities as well. I know that there isn't a mistake that hasn't already been made, or something that someone here hasn't seen, or a problem that can't be fixed with the knowledge accumulated on this site. For that i am thankful to all of you that take the time to answer questions or share your knowledge and experiences with this fascinating hobby.

AlaskanGuy
05-11-2014, 06:38 PM
But, but, but.... What about all them cool boolits you get next to your name??? Those are milestones tooooooooo... :kidding:

foesgth
05-11-2014, 06:57 PM
I don't know about everyone else but it takes some time to read all the stickies. Then you go and try to make some boolits. Then the questions come up.

arjacobson
05-11-2014, 07:26 PM
Trolls? I have seen a few that were new members and kind of anti gun.. I haven't seen it in a while though. When the libs were pushing gun control it seemed to really pick up. I just figured it was anti gun trolls...

fivegunner
05-11-2014, 08:04 PM
I don`t have very many post to this site, I come here at least morning and night , I read most of the thread`s , I have learned alot from the fine people here . and have made some friends . Sure someday when I retire I`ll probably post more. I was here before the date on my avatar, I think it was around 2000-2001 that I joined up . Yes there are alot of new people getting into reloading (to save money and maybe shoot more) and it seem`s that everybody is in a hurry , so many don`t read the stickies or try to do there own research, :lovebooli they just ask a question and want a fast answer.:cbpour::killingpc

gew98
05-11-2014, 08:13 PM
But, but, but.... What about all them cool boolits you get next to your name??? Those are milestones tooooooooo... :kidding:

Some 'low' alloy types thrive on those "numbers" .

HollandNut
05-12-2014, 12:42 AM
cud be like me , there has been at least twice that I have not been on here for a year or so .. I just recently came back .. Some post more than others ..

There is one shooting forum I am on ( since 2002 ) , that I visit regularly and my post count is under 150 ..

I'm a reader more than a poster .. I don't usually post just to agree with a point someone lese has made ..

Green Monster
05-12-2014, 01:29 AM
Im a relative newbie to casting but not reloading and shy away from asking those questions for fear of being cast off as a *******. I wish there could be sticky with the basic 101 type stuff and not all spread out over the site. I do like reading all the different topics but find it hard to sort through everything to get an answer without
10 new simple questions popin up. Im not one of the impatient need it now people but also dont want to waste half a day reading "me too" or "i agree" from a hundred people.

krit29-2
05-12-2014, 02:03 AM
I lurk around in here, mostly in the gunsmithing section.
only cast & load 3 different sizes now .38/357, .44special/.44 mag and the big boomer .500S&W .
pretty much settled on loads that work for me in my guns.. and don't want to bore everyone with my ramblings .
but love the wealth of info here on the fourm..

captaint
05-12-2014, 07:19 AM
Oh, heck yeah.... I bought all my stuff, collected WW's, even poured up some ingots with my RCBS bottom pour. Didn't know any better at the time... Finished raining the kids, THEN got back to melting some lead. Life does get in the way. Mike

WILCO
05-12-2014, 07:49 AM
Have you posted something worthwhile or just to see your post count go up. Some good members have recently left.

I've been known to do both. It's all part of having fun here. When a member chooses to leave, it's because of some reason they've chosen to act upon.
I get tired of "newbie" questions without doing some basic work or the famous "gimme" threads that are so prevalent. When I get frustrated, I take a break and come back later. It really is that simple.

CastingFool
05-12-2014, 07:50 AM
Well, I joined back in 2009, but did have some problems signing in, so I stayed away for a while. It wasn't until about a year ago that I felt I needed to learn more. I have been playing around melting lead since I was a young boy, and one of my goals has been to shoot a deer with a boolit I cast myself. I didn't really start casting boolits until a friend gave me a Lee pot and 12 molds (all BP, which is ok, because I do own a couple of ML's, but I don't shoot them much) I do cast for my RBH, and want to cast for my 30 cal rifles. Got a mold, but life does get in the way, even in retirement. (Bought a fixer upper back in '97. Still working on it, one big project a year, with a bunch smaller projects in between, and fixing stuff for my family) Sometimes, I find myself replying to a post, having 2nd thoughts about replying, and end up deleting my reply. I do enjoy this site, and I'm here every day, sometimes twice a day.

WILCO
05-12-2014, 08:16 AM
Some 'low' alloy types thrive on those "numbers" .

Anyone with a high post count is now a "Low" alloy type? I guess it has nothing to do with membership activity & content contribution.
Thanks for pointing this fact out gew98. Now to delete some of my posts so I'll have gravitas when I'm here............

Gator 45/70
05-12-2014, 12:50 PM
I troll, For free or low cost lead. Examples are 1 that I posted on here is helicopter blade weights that no one on here to my understanding or even suspected as a source. I have since found out that lead seals are being used on certain safety devises and upon inspection these are throw away...Until now ! I scoop these up.

OeldeWolf
05-12-2014, 01:15 PM
I know that for as long as I have been on here, my count is pretty low. Getting gradually disabled does put a damper on the activities, like casting and shooting. Plus, there are so many people on here who know so much, it is often hard to make worthwhile comments. But I am on here reading everyday, often several times a day. It helped keep me going while I was too fatigued/ill to do anything but read.

Big Boomer
05-12-2014, 01:28 PM
Been a member since 2007 with only 178 posts. Mostly read a lot in order to learn. Been casting since the mid-1970s and have gotten a lot of help here but not necessarily by posting or making requests. Trying to learn by reading and observation and not do the electric fence option through experience. Glad to help when I think I have something to contribute. Big Boomer

Loudenboomer
05-12-2014, 01:54 PM
I just got to many Irons in the fire. I did quit drag racing and sold the drag car. Working, Family, Church, Casting, Loading, Hunting, Shooting got me to busy to post much of the time. Much of the time it's just fun to Lurk and Listen. :)

JoeG52
05-12-2014, 02:43 PM
I read a lot, post very little. Been loading / casting over 40 years. No need to ask questions if the answers are already there.

SSGOldfart
05-12-2014, 03:34 PM
well said, [smilie=s:
I've been a member for quite some time:oops: sometimes life sets you back for what ever reason[smilie=p: by the time I read all the stickys not to much to ask:shock:

Land Owner
05-12-2014, 06:34 PM
I'm interested in casting, but only so much and only so far. I read everything, particularly my hard copy of "From Ingot to Target" three, four, five times. My niche is far below competition shooting and somewhere above bolt action rifle hunting for wildlife. I make lots and lots of very-good handgun boolits IMHO that work for me. I have met a poster or two from C.B.G.L.com in real life and perhaps that is the diamond in the rough for me. I have recently "found" OUR TOWN and like it very much.

TXGunNut
05-12-2014, 09:51 PM
Wow! Sorry if I ticked off some of you old-timers that don't post much, that wasn't my intent. Matter of fact, it was pretty cool to hear from so many of you and learn that you're still around.
Like many folks when I first stumbled in here I lurked for months, read stickies and threads for hours almost daily. Seems like the search function worked better back then. ;-)
And yes, I probably post too much. These days I like to ask about interesting projects and help with newbie questions or try to clarify more complex questions. Some of the folks around here have some pretty awesome projects going on and I learn quite a bit by following them and asking questions. Other times I like to talk about my projects to get feedback and tips because most of my RL associates have no idea what I'm taliking about. I've been loading and shooting for quite some time so I feel pretty well qualified to answer many of the questions that the oldtimers have gotten tired of answering, just like during my time over on TFL.
Again, I'm sorry if I ruffled any feathers. Can't help but think ya'll have some pretty cool projects going on or some helpful input but I understand.

desi23
05-12-2014, 11:15 PM
I don't post much, read and learn a lot though. While I have done a bit of casting over the years (started out casting for muzzle loaders and a couple revolvers back in the 70's) I have learned a lot about the art of casting from the people on this forum. there are people here who have truly delved into alloys, casting methods and tools and I am grateful to have access to their knowledge. Really only post when (rarely) I can feel I can add something to the discussion.

M-Tecs
05-12-2014, 11:37 PM
I have been thinking the same thing. The type of posts I am referring to is the low post count members or members that haven’t be active recently that have a normal perspective on the issues than they get really off the wall. At times it appears two totally different people are writing them. The issue isn’t whether or not I agree with them but, when you read all their posts, they don’t agree with themselves.

leeggen
05-12-2014, 11:56 PM
Or you could be like Bret4207 with 20,011 postings. WOW!
CD

Ben
05-13-2014, 12:05 AM
Anyone with a high post count is now a "Low" alloy type? I guess it has nothing to do with membership activity & content contribution.
Thanks for pointing this fact out gew98. Now to delete some of my posts so I'll have gravitas when I'm here............

I just learned something also.

Seems I'm a low alloy type and didn't even know it. I wonder just how many post you need to qualify ?

Ben

Chili
05-13-2014, 11:20 AM

I'm the same way. Lots of good info here, not that you need me to tell you! Anyhoo.....back to my lurking!

Mausermeister
05-13-2014, 02:59 PM
I joined in '07. Was getting into casting and shooting cast. Work and kids and other family matters kept me inactive casting and shooting for a few years. I even got rid of most of my casting equipment. Recently a friend has gotten interested in casting. I gave him a bunch of the stuff I had left and told him about castboolits and then started coming back here myself. Though I don't think I've asked any stupid newbie questions lately.

badgeredd
05-13-2014, 04:43 PM
There are several members in the listing that have either 1 or zero posts and have shown no activity since their join date. I guess they either forgot their sign up or decided this forum is not for them. I see several others that come here often, but simply don't post which is entirely their prerogative. I also see some that have a fair number of posts, but rarely add anything to any discussion.

One thing I am likeing is seeing older members that have a low post count that are becoming more active. I suspect a number of them are very much like a good friend that listens and says little; When he really wants to say something, he does; Otherwise he observes. Nothing wrong with that at all in my book.

Edd

Blammer
05-13-2014, 05:26 PM
yea, I don't post much either...

anybody know if I can shoot a gas checked bullet without the gas check? :)

cephas53
05-13-2014, 05:32 PM
This thread resembles me. I could just appear stupid or open my mouth and remove any doubt! Actually if I come here and search for what I'm lookin for I find more than enough to keep me occupied. Kinda quiet in real life to. But hey, thanks for all the help.

Pigboat
05-13-2014, 05:45 PM
I don't have enough knowledge about the things discussed here to have any input so I mostly just read. I very seldom even sign in but check the posts at least twice a day. If I have a loading question, I usually just google the question and go down the list until I find something from this forum.

michiganvet
05-13-2014, 06:03 PM
It may be that paranoia has something to do with it. I like to come here and read the posts but have not posted much for a good long while. I have been casting since '67 and have been swaging since '82.

Three44s
05-13-2014, 06:57 PM
I joined this forum in '07 but as I recall, I was not very active for at least a couple of years ........ busy on other forums ........ then, I just sort of switched gears ..... instead of fighting politics .......... I settled down here more on my casting technique ........ more rifle knowledge actually.

Three 44s

goste
05-13-2014, 08:10 PM
Wow..
Good to see some more low post oldtimers. I rarely post, but I visit this site daily.. Lot to learn here...guess I would much rather read, than post...

pinshooter
05-13-2014, 09:09 PM
I joined back when the old shooters.com site was still running. Got a few questions answered and have since cast over 40,000 boolits (I shoot PPC). After shooters.com went down I followed Cast Boolits to all the different locations until it ended up here. I'm usually here reading posts at least 3 times a week and have learned a lot over the years. I've tried to help others get started casting and have recommended this site to all of them.

In person I could talk your ear off but when I start typing I can't think of anything to say. Just old fashioned I guess.

Hey, only 988 more posts to get another boolit...

Pinshooter

hiram1
05-13-2014, 09:46 PM
As for me i like to read a lot and i do here.I also like to be around good men that i can ask things.and i find all i need on here.By the way thanks guys it is fun to read some of the things you guys post .

roadie
05-14-2014, 01:41 PM
I kinda doubt that someone is hijacking member accounts in order to troll this site....I would think their time would be better spent on easier things.

Some people just don't care about a high post count, or lil bullets beside their avatar....some people care a lot about those same lil bullets. I have no idea how many posts I have, nor do I care....it just don't matter.

Hickok
05-14-2014, 01:50 PM
I joined this forum in '07 but as I recall, I was not very active for at least a couple of years ........ busy on other forums ........ then, I just sort of switched gears ..... instead of fighting politics .......... I settled down here more on my casting technique ........ more rifle knowledge actually.

Three 44sMy experience is the same as yours, could not have said it better!:grin:

RonT
05-14-2014, 01:55 PM
"I have no idea how many posts I have, nor do I care....it just don't matter." Eight,....oooops, make that nine.
R

David2011
05-14-2014, 11:44 PM
OTOH I've seen people announcing their first boolit casting session with over 1000 posts under their belt.

David