PDA

View Full Version : To knee or not to knee?

psmokey
05-10-2014, 09:48 PM
The doc informed me that he wants to take my knee away from me and give a replacement. What I need to know is the good the bad and the ugly part before I make the decision .How long is recoupe time? I heat with wood so how lone before I will be able to fill the stove? How long befor i'll be able to walk let say 100 yards. I'm going to have to plan this thing out. I asked the doc when he wanted to do it he said "last week" I thank everybody in advance for there in put. The shots thing won't do any good its to far gone. Thanks again...... Phil :confused:

BrassMagnet
05-10-2014, 10:03 PM
Just do it. You will not believe the change in your life to have a working knee again.

largom
05-10-2014, 10:10 PM
Keep us posted. I need both knee's done.

Larry

bayjoe
05-10-2014, 10:10 PM
I t did wonders for my mother. Hers was bone on bone. Took about 6 weeks for her to heal, but she did therapy religiously.

HollandNut
05-10-2014, 10:16 PM
my wife had both done , one in May of 2012 , the other in August 2013 .. Biggest thing will be therapy , they are brutal in therapy , and have no mercy on you .. Her first one was tough the first couple weeks because she didn't know what to expect , her second , she barely slowed down at all ..

Most you see who have bad surgery can be traced back to whimping out in therapy ..

Ma had both done , one at age 75 , the other a year later , she just turned 86 and is going strong

Green Monster
05-10-2014, 11:26 PM
Do it and have confidence. Look into the different rehabs in your area. My dad had his done and shopped around for rehabs (boston area has the best in usa). Are you doing the arthroscopic or full blown slice and dice?

psmokey
05-10-2014, 11:56 PM
R&R.. rip it all out and replace it . Its bone on bone. Been fighting it for about 10 yr. now. thanks for all the input sofar. ... Phil

mikeym1a
05-11-2014, 12:17 AM
I breakfast with a group of pilots, and retired pilots most Saturdays, and several of them have had this, and they are very glad they did it. I have bad knees, but, that is not presently in my future. The last visit to the Ortho clinic, I got steroid shots in both knees, and it worked wonders. As long as that works, that is what they (VA) will do. they are good for about 5-6 months. My pilots friends were all bone on bone. If they were here, they would wholeheartedly urge you to go ahead and do it. mikey

charlie3tuna
05-11-2014, 12:48 AM
I have not had any trouble with my knees, thankfully. But what my mother and her twin brother told me (and I saw with my own eyes) every thing that HollandNut said is 100% correct. Mom had one knee done, my Uncle both. Both did therapy and exercises religiously...charlie

steve817
05-11-2014, 01:42 AM
A friend of ours had both his done 6 weeks before we all went on a Carnival cruise. He was in his late 50's at the time. He took a wheel chair with him just in case he needed it but never did. Sure made getting through airport security a breeze.

HollandNut
05-11-2014, 07:59 AM
Another thing I forget to mention is for several months you have to be VERY careful and not walk on uneven ground , like on slopes or uphill/downhill , as they also use some cement in there and it has to set .. If it separates , you'll be back in surgery .. They will tell you all this of course ..

My wife's first one , was bone against bone and she waited waay too long to have it done .. She could barely walk for several years , and went only because she had to .. The second , she did as soon as she was told it was bad enough ..

Don't wait till you can barely walk ..

Don't be fooled , it is a common procedure , but your leg except for a small piece of skin is for all intents and purposes amputated ..

Hickory
05-11-2014, 08:08 AM
Without question get the new knee.
Do your exercises and a little more, this will pay
dividends to your recovery and how well it performs for you.
My knee replacement was the best thing I've ever done.

mold maker
05-11-2014, 08:10 AM
You've got to hang tough with the therapy, but the success rate is great. Don't expect to play football for a while, but when it's all healed, the improvement is dramatic.

WILCO
05-11-2014, 08:14 AM
How long is recoupe time?

Hi Phil!

Here's a link for you to peruse:

http://www.medicinenet.com/total_knee_replacement/article.htm

kbstenberg
05-11-2014, 08:20 AM
Its just my opinion. The recovery is very painful for me. I am just about through my recovery and getting ready to go back to work. I had and still have muscle night tremors. The best way to describe it is uncontrollable muscle twitching. It's instantaneous level 10 pain. Mine started 2nd night after surgery. It took 6 nurses about 10 minutes to calm my screaming. To this day when I go to bed I don't know if I will have an attack or not. My best defense when one comes is having the wife CALMLY talk me down, and breath control. Kevin

HollandNut
05-11-2014, 08:26 AM
my wife went through that and still does occasionally

Reg
05-11-2014, 09:18 AM
You may be offered two options. A full replacement with the entire joint replaced or a partial that has replacement pads put in. Without going into great detail, the full is a bit easier to recover from-- less pain , but the partial gives you the option of a almost 100 percent chance to replace later. I had both replaced with partials, five years apart, because of my age the Doc's thought it would be the best way to go and would give me options later. There is more pain involved with the partial but they keep it under control with drugs and you will only need said drugs for a short time.
You will be up and walking right after surgery and should go home within three to four days. It took me almost five weeks each time before I could drive a pickup with a clutch but was driving a car with a auto in it the day after I got home.
The trick to the whole thing is the rehab--- do it. The only ones I have ever seen or heard of that had any problems at all didn't do the rehab.

Glassman66
07-13-2014, 10:29 PM
You may be offered two options. A full replacement with the entire joint replaced or a partial that has replacement pads put in. Without going into great detail, the full is a bit easier to recover from-- less pain , but the partial gives you the option of a almost 100 percent chance to replace later. I had both replaced with partials, five years apart, because of my age the Doc's thought it would be the best way to go and would give me options later. There is more pain involved with the partial but they keep it under control with drugs and you will only need said drugs for a short time.
You will be up and walking right after surgery and should go home within three to four days. It took me almost five weeks each time before I could drive a pickup with a clutch but was driving a car with a auto in it the day after I got home.
The trick to the whole thing is the rehab--- do it. The only ones I have ever seen or heard of that had any problems at all didn't do the rehab.

Diddo, had my right one partially replaced at 41 and it was best thing I had done. Takes about a year before it feels "right" again. Do the Rehab!!!!

Randy

AricTheRed
07-13-2014, 10:53 PM
Just one thought.

Is it your; Right knee, left knee, or your wee knee!

'Cause it matters...

leeggen
07-13-2014, 11:13 PM
Doc told me that some people have no pain to speak of, (which was what bother-n-law had) or you will have a lot of pain(me) but no worse than what you have now if it is bone to bone. Pain last for a short time then is gone. May change your posture alittle if you are now favoring that leg. You have a tendency to stand lopsided and get used to it, then when you have surgery you will stand straighter, More even on both legs. If you are in real pain now you won't question the surgery, just get it done, longer you wait worse the present will hurt.
I am very glad I had mine done!!!
CD

Col4570
07-14-2014, 02:57 AM
I had both Knees replaced in 2005,6 months between each operation.I came to a stage where my quality of life was awfull.Initialy after each one there is a period of uncomfortable pain,slowly reducing for about 3 months.I started in each case to exercise by walking short distances and slowly increasing them.it is important to build muscle around the replacements so working them is necessary.Bed time was uncomfortable until I bought a large plastic box and cut the ends out to keep the sheets off the wound.Although 77 years of age I can go shooting,tend my large garden and generaly do any thing I wish.Go for it, there is light at the end of the tunnel.

PB234
07-14-2014, 04:43 AM
Before going for surgery think through what you will benefit from while healing up at home. Make lots of easy to reheat meals and put them in the freezer. Consider how you will shower and if you need to go out and buy a shower seat. Handicap height raiser for the toilet? Help to just make it through the initial healing time where you will be very handicapped. Get everything you can think of in place for the first few weeks after having them done. One at a time or two together. If you do two you might find you don't have a leg to stand on for a while, but you get it over with. If you do one you might find you can hobble around a little quicker, but then you have to do it again.

Stock up on what you will need while you are recovering so you do not have to worry about having these things while you are stuck mostly in bed. Figure out what the recovery path will be and how to make it as easy as possible. You are not going shopping for a while and you are not standing in front of a stove. You going to need lots of ice to chill the wound initially?

Go around your home and make sure you move things that can get in the way of an invalid moving around. Loose rugs and other stuff - move them into a corner for a while. You don't want to trip over anything.

Check to see what the doctor plans on using for replacement parts and if the manufacturer is the best one for you and why. Rehab is critical.

As you can see the majority of folks here who have done it are positive. Be careful do rehab like the future of your knees depend on it. After rehab be careful to continue to carefully continue working on building them up over time.

DeputyDog25
07-14-2014, 05:27 AM
I had mine done last September, and I wouldn't change it for the world. If you have a choice, ask the doctor about the Stryker Get Around Knee, it is the best of the best. I have no more pain in that knee at all. The left will be done towards the end of the year after my back surgery. Go ahead and do it, you won't regret it.

kbstenberg
07-14-2014, 07:43 AM
Pb234 You hit the nail squarely on the head.
My experience has all been bad with my opp. Next week I go in to have the Doc. telescopically (sp) loosen the muscle around some scarring. I have continual stiffness, pain tremors at night, occasional non-locking of the knee.
I religiously exercised my knee throughout my therapy multiple times a day. So I know my problems aren't caused by lack of effort on my part.
Even after 5 months my knee is still the size it was immediately after surgery.
An I supposedly went to the best Doc. in the state of Minn. at our University.

Col4570
07-14-2014, 08:12 AM
kbstenberg,I too had a lot of pain during the recovery period.A great help was a bag of Frozen Peas placed on the painfull area,you will find that this goes a long way to help your recovery since the swelling is what gives you the pain by restricting the joint movement.Please try it you will not be disappointed.Our shower at home is the type over the Bath,a seat that fits across the Bath will make life a lot easier.The Box with the ends cut out is good to keep the wound from touching the bed clothes.A Pillow or cushion under the Knee when you lie down will keep the knee slightly bent and be more comfortable.When up and about bend the Knee and straighten the leg to it limits.I have been where you are and remember it vividly.P S,do,nt eat the Peas after they have been refrozen umpteen times

littlejack
07-17-2014, 01:08 AM
I had my left knee replaced a couple years ago. Glad I did. I will be having my right one done when it gets bad enough that the pain in walking with it over rides the replacement recovery. Make sure you do the therapy.
The "pain" previously described during the healing process (to me) is the soreness from being cut open and the muscles moved around. That is to be expected when recovering any surgery. I do believe that I have a higher tolerance to pain than some, but less than others.
I donated a kidney to my brother in 2002 and they booted me out of the hospital 3 days after the surgery. I took only one pain pill after getting back home. No real pain, just sore from the procedure.
Do it, you will be a happier man.
Regards
Jack

RKJ
07-17-2014, 09:33 AM
Thank you to all that have responded. I am looking at the same thing (Left knee) and it's bone on bone. I've had folks tell me that it was the best thing they ever did and they wished they hadn't waited so long, but I'm a tad nervous about this. I've had the steroids (which helped for about 2 weeks) and the 3 shot regimen. I'm still not sure of this procedure as sometimes I'm good and other times I'm not. I can still get around pretty well but have gone to the ground twice in the last 2 years because of it. I do amaze my 4 yo Grandson by being able to run a little :). I've got an appointment with my Doc tomorrow to discuss the options. For those that have had it done, how long has it been? The Doc is telling me they are supposed to last 30 years but he figures more likely 10. Does that sound about right? Thanks, Joe

littlejack
07-17-2014, 10:31 AM
You can go on line and look at a video of the procedure. It looks some painful, and would be if the patient wasn't snoozing.
My doctor ask me if I wanted the shots? I told him, " if the shots are only going to delay the inevitable, I would rather have
the surgery". He said "well, we'll make you an appointment as soon as you want". So, we made one real soon.
We have renowned surgeons here in Eugene Oregon, just make sure that your surgeon has a "great" track record with this
particular surgery. Pray to our Lord.
All the best with your medical issues.
Jack

Bodine
07-20-2014, 03:28 PM
You already have my opinion on it, get it done, you will be good to go by winter, and I will come up there and make you do the rehab. Had to do it with dad with his knee and fred with his hip.
You dont want to be down for deer season or winter, GIT R DONE!