PDA

View Full Version : Any locksmiths? Need some advice

Highway41
05-10-2014, 12:22 PM
Well thanks to (insert preferred expletive) eBay I'm in a crappy mood. I know, what's new about that.

Anyway... I've been going through the stuff my dad left behind and ran across an old key cutting machine. Hot dog, eBay here I come. Listed it and in less than 2 days bidding hit $200, woo hoo. So I'm already ordering another Loadmaster in my head and going to pick up a few small things to go with it depending on the final sale price of the key cutter.

Cut to this morning... I wake up to find an email from eBay informing me that my listing was in violation of their policy and that it had been removed.

Any locksmiths in the group who can tell me where I can get sell this?

arjacobson
05-10-2014, 07:21 PM
Why is it in violation? I have had ebay do that to me in the past and it was usually some idiot just PO'D about what I was selling that "reported" it. I would ask ebay why the machine is not sellable...

smokeywolf
05-10-2014, 07:33 PM
The BAY is covering their anecdotal butts by not allowing something that is used to create a key for accessing secured items, containers or buildings to be sold on their site. Possession and sale of key making machines and locksmith tools are in many areas across the Country, regulated by law.

smokeywolf

Highway41
05-10-2014, 08:23 PM
They classify it as a 'lockpicking' device. Also they gave me a link to a federal statute that prohibits key cutting devices from being sent through the mail except to qualified locksmiths.

WILCO
05-11-2014, 01:15 PM
Any locksmiths in the group who can tell me where I can get sell this?

Why sell it? Use it to make more than $200.00.

Highway41
05-11-2014, 01:24 PM
Why sell it? Use it to make more than $200.00.

If I had a place or the time that would be great. But with my work schedule it ain't happening.

TXGunNut
05-11-2014, 02:05 PM
Car dealers and locksmiths are the most likely buyers for this machine as well as other buy/sell websites. Apartment complexes and real estate management companies probably keep them around as well. Automotive keys are moving more every year into more advanced technology but most keep an old machine or two around as the folks that once serviced them now prefer not to. Duplicating a key with your own machine is no different from having someone else use their machine to do it, I guess once again Fleabay and bureaucrats have gotten in the way of commerce.