PDA

View Full Version : Information on this cast

Dncallahan
05-10-2014, 12:01 PM
I want to try my hand at long range target shooting. Using a Browning 1885 reproduction in 45/70. Question is has anyone tried this LYMAN-457-658 round?
Any information would be helpful. Also as of now I have not been able to locate BC of this round. I have not included any load spect as I have not loaded yet, so not sure what my rifle will like. So thanks for any help you can offer.

runfiverun
05-10-2014, 12:10 PM
I haven't tried that particular boolit.
but if I were going to try shooting long range 1-k yds [whatever] I'd be more inclined to look at something other than a production mold.
steve brooks molds comes to mind right off.
you might find better information in the black powder, single shot rifle, or black powder paper patch section here.

oh yeah and welcome to the site.

leftiye
05-11-2014, 06:21 AM
Research paper patched "money boolit." It's a standard with long range BPCR shooting.

Tom Myers
05-11-2014, 08:56 AM
I want to try my hand at long range target shooting. Using a Browning 1885 reproduction in 45/70. Question is has anyone tried this LYMAN-457-658 round?
Any information would be helpful. Also as of now I have not been able to locate BC of this round. I have not included any load spect as I have not loaded yet, so not sure what my rifle will like. So thanks for any help you can offer.

The Lyman 457658 dimension data that I have on hand is from various reports of casting sessions and from scaling images of the Lyman mold cavity. However, this should be quite close to the actual dimensions. Of course, the estimated Ballistc Coefficinet indicated on the sketch is just what the label implies, an estimation.
Usually, the estimations are very close. An exact B.C., for your application, must be derived from either measuremnts of trajectory height or velocity at various ranges.

If the displayed image is small, click on it to enlarge.

Hope this helps.

Click for Cast Bullet Design Software (http://www.tmtpages.com/#draw)