PDA

View Full Version : Push thru sizers: who makes sizes Lee doesn't?

Rompin Ruger
05-09-2014, 04:04 PM
Somewhere, reading so many posts, I read where a gent on here made custom push thru dies for one's reloading press in sizes in between what Lee offers. I went back to the thread I thought contained it and can't find the reference.

Anyone help with that? Many thanks regardless

dondiego
05-09-2014, 04:05 PM
Look up Buckshot.

dubber123
05-09-2014, 04:21 PM
As stated, Buckshot, and I believe Lathesmith does also. I have had Buckshot make some for me, and he does good work. I think Lathesmith enjoys the same reputation.

petroid
05-09-2014, 05:55 PM
You can always lap a lee sizer out a bit to the size you want.

Rompin Ruger
05-09-2014, 06:00 PM
Thanks, Dondiego/Dubber123. I shot buckshot a note.

Petroid... as my English teacher always drummed into us, one "can", but I can't! I'd no more have the knowledge, tools to measure when "done" or the ability to do that task...

I surely do admire all those on here who can/do!

I'm getting some nasty leading with pro-cast bullets. Getting my 2 .45 colt Ruger's checked out for Cylinder throat, forcing cone and bore this coming week...something gotta be up.

I just got a mold and a LEE .452, but might need them changed by someone... or buy others! :0

Thanks all!

telebasher
05-09-2014, 07:19 PM
One of the most important pieces of gear any reloader/boolitcaster is a good set of digital calipers and a good micrometer. Just because you run your favorite projectile through a certain sizer does not mean you will end up with a boolit that meets your specifications. Without the necessary measuring tools you"ll never know what you have after sizing. Measure then you will know. You will find all kinds of measurements that have need to be made to produce top quality ammo. Slugging a barrel, chamber casts OAL etc. Good luck, have fun keep good notes.

Rompin Ruger
05-09-2014, 08:47 PM
Tele,

Indeed!! I agree. I have calipers and also a good micrometer...which serves well for OUTSIDE measurements...but inside?

Now when it comes to wood butcherin, I have some tools and Pappy taught me a few tricks...but machinist work? On my fixed income, I've seen the tools my gunsmith friend has--- :shock: I'll have to rely on others with the training and expertise to do INSIDE micrometer measurements...

But your point is so very well taken and well said!

kens
05-09-2014, 09:22 PM
you can get one from LEE

http://leeprecision.com/custom-lube-and-size-kit/

Shiloh
05-10-2014, 10:45 AM
Look up Buckshot.

As stated, Buckshot, and I believe Lathesmith does also. I have had Buckshot make some for me, and he does good work. I think Lathesmith enjoys the same reputation.

Buckshot has done several projects for me. Superb work.

Shiloh

Rompin Ruger
05-10-2014, 09:47 PM
Thanks, All!! I appreciate everyone taking time to reply!

I've made contact with Buckshot.

His lead time is far better than LEE's for a custom... same basic price.

I am scheduled to have some smith work done and among it will be to check dimensions and then... if needed, off goes $$ to Buckshot.

Thanks guys!

45-70 Chevroner
05-10-2014, 11:38 PM
Tele,

Indeed!! I agree. I have calipers and also a good micrometer...which serves well for OUTSIDE measurements...but inside?

Now when it comes to wood butcherin, I have some tools and Pappy taught me a few tricks...but machinist work? On my fixed income, I've seen the tools my gunsmith friend has--- :shock: I'll have to rely on others with the training and expertise to do INSIDE micrometer measurements...

But your point is so very well taken and well said!
You don't really need an inside caliper to check for the correct size. When you polish out a sizing die you do it in increments of polishing it a little and checking the size of the boolit, then keep doing that until you open it up to the desired size. Of course you will have to use an unsized boolit each time until you achieve the size you want. Give it a try it is actually a pretty simple process.

Rompin Ruger
05-11-2014, 09:06 PM
OH, my... I can see me trying that with the method outlined and with my hand tool equipment, end up with an oblong inside of the die... No lathe, just a drill... That doesn't seem like a good way to go... If I had a lathe, and knew how to set one up, I could see doing a precision bit of lapping, try a boolit like you say and move forward or quit...

First I have to find out throat size, forcing cone dimensions and bore dimensions and the only gun smith I know has been backed up and can't check those for me for a week!

I got Rick on tap if I need something different once I know what size I might need...

Rompin Ruger
05-11-2014, 09:13 PM
OH, my... I can see me trying that with the method outlined and with my hand tool equipment, end up with an oblong inside of the die... No lathe, just a drill... That doesn't seem like a good way to go... If I had a lathe, and knew how to set one up, I could see doing a precision bit of lapping, try a boolit like you say and move forward or quit...

First I have to find out throat size, forcing cone dimensions and bore dimensions and the only gun smith I know has been backed up and can't check those for me for a week!

I got Rick on tap if I need something different once I know what size I might need...

Tatume
05-12-2014, 06:46 AM
One of the most important pieces of gear any reloader/boolitcaster is a good set of digital calipers and a good micrometer.

One should pay attention to the precision (number of digits past the decimal) and accuracy (repeatability) of measuring instruments. Even cheap instruments can have high precision, but just because it says 0.0005" doesn't make it so. The accuracy of inexpensive instruments is often lacking. Even when the accuracy is good, the instrument should be calibrated.

Dial calipers are every bit as good and fast as digital calipers. Vernier calipers and micrometers are even better, once you get to know them. Very good vernier instruments can often be had for less than the cost of other types. Besides, it's rewarding to use the traditional instruments.

dudel
05-12-2014, 08:10 AM
Another vote for Buckshot. I got a custom sizer from him in a very short turnaround. Much faster than Lee, priced about the same, and even included a sized boolit for confirmation of the size. Highly recommended.

NVScouter
05-12-2014, 12:05 PM
I must be the only person who got bad dies from Buckshot with a total cost over double of LEE, and weeks to fulfill the order correctly. Or there is lots of smoke being blown.

I would second lapping a set of LEE dies if its a small matter of going from .452 to .454. Some sandpaper a drill, and a cleaning rod. Anybody can do that for such a small amount. Also dont forget what your barrel is going to do to that boolit.

Past if you want an off the wall size push through try the custom guys or buy a .22 LEE sizer and pay a machine shop to open it up to whatever.

Tatume
05-12-2014, 06:42 PM
My experience with Buckshot has been exceptional. He has delivered excellent goods in a timely manner. At one time when I had to cancel an order, I found him to be compassionate and understanding. I recommend him without reservation.

detox
05-13-2014, 10:12 AM
Buckshot can make custom sizer stems also. Square face, hollow ground and closer fit inside die.

dudel
05-13-2014, 11:29 AM
Buckshot can make custom sizer stems also. Square face, hollow ground and closer fit inside die.

I need to get me one of those. The one that came with the Lee set won't seat GCs evenly.