PDA

View Full Version : Move once per year!!

Gussy
01-08-2008, 02:30 PM
Is it just me or do you "missplace" stuff? While moving into my new digs, I've uncovered many treasures. A h*ll of a lot of them long forgotten. I moved 3 years back but have just now set up a place for everything. Unpacked several boxes that were packed as "not needed now" but keep. The needed now boxes were opened after the move.

I've found stuff I wanted and didn't know I had. Stuff I thought I had but couldn't find. A lot of stuff I knew I had but could never find. Found 2 of several things that I only need one of. A lot of old memories when I opened my old photo books. A lot of things I will not ever use.

Lots of muzzle loader stuff. A lot stuff there that has been given to me or bought when friends quit ML shooting. Many duplicates as I made a lot of stuff. I still shoot one but not often. Mostly bird hunting or deer hunting every few years.

And yes, quite a few moulds. Many ML, round ball and bullet in .32 to .50 cals. A lot of BPCR moulds. A couple of pistol, .38 wad cutter mostly.

Move once a year!!! It jogs the memory and helps find lost stuff. Mine is getting to needing a full jump start to jog it every morning.

oneokie
01-08-2008, 03:09 PM
Moving once a year will keep the amount of "stuff" to a minimum. BTDT, several times. Moving often also keeps one from acquiring such things as pianos, china hutches, buffets, and other large furniture.
Have been in current home 9years, 1.5 months. Took 2 days to move in. Now it would take 2 weeks to pack for another move.

The Double D
01-08-2008, 03:50 PM
I have a 900 lb engine lathe. I moved it from Tillamook, OR where I bought it to two different locations Grants Pass, OR to two locations in Redding CA to El Paso TX to Santa Teresa NM to Houston TX to Montreal Canada to Sunburst MT to Cut Bank MT, to Herndon VA to Reston Va in itis in currently on storage in MD but in April it will move back to MT...but this is only over 25 years. Then there was the lead, guns and books. Each and every move I have found boxes that had not been opened since the previous move and I moved them again. Except this last move. We open boxes and held a giant yard sale. You would be surprized what you can sell for 25 cents that nobody would buy for $5.

Freightman
01-08-2008, 03:52 PM
No thanks! my next move is to a 3x6' hole. I have been in this house for 38 years not intending to try to move, will leave the hard work to my boys.

Wicky
01-08-2008, 05:59 PM
I'm not looking forward to moving even though as Gussy says I am sure I'll find stuff thats been squirreled away and forgotten. I have a lathe and mill that run about 500 Kilo all up. My wife reckons she can use the trailer to move her stuff and I'll need 2 40' shipping containers. Still I've got about 9 years til I have to worry about it, imagine the stuff I can hoard, I mean collect in that time!!
[smilie=l:

454PB
01-08-2008, 06:07 PM
I moved 4 years ago, and decided I WAS NOT going to move my gun safe again. I'd already moved it twice, and this time I'm leaving it to the new inhabitants and buying a new one. After pricing them and finding that I had to pay to get a new one moved anyway, I decided I'd pay somebody to move my old one. For $125, three big burly young guys with a heavy duty cart moved it to my new shop. It was money well spent!

I also had to move about 2500 lbs. of lead, but that turned out to be much less work than a gun safe.

threett1
01-08-2008, 09:48 PM
No thanks. Been in this house 27yrs and don't forsee anything happening right away. Right away is at least 5 years for me. But when I do.....

The Double D
01-09-2008, 01:41 AM
No thanks! my next move is to a 3x6' hole. I have been in this house for 38 years not intending to try to move, will leave the hard work to my boys.

Freightman,

I am taking the ecofriendly "greenie" approach to this event. No hole for me. I am going to be cremated. I will then have my wife substitute my ashes for 6 lbs of that zinc you sent me and fire the mortar down wind out over the gopher holes of the Montana prairies.

Now before all you guys go jotting down my email address so you can offer to help the widow lady move all that gun stuff out, the earliest I am looking for this event to occur is 2033 to 2038 I should be around 85 to 90 years old by then. An even then I plan on having a designated recipient...my best friends son looks very likely right now! He has four qualifications. He likes hunting, he likes guns and he looks like he will turn into decent person. Oh ya, number four, he looks like he might turn into a big strapper and will have no problem moving the stuff.

376Steyr
01-11-2008, 02:21 AM
"Three moves equals one fire" -Ben Franklin