PDA

View Full Version : That's more like it ..............

Jack Stanley
05-07-2014, 10:00 PM
I've had a couple weeks to use the new laminated stock on the Axis rifle with cast bullets . For me the plastic stock was almost worthless and the way the rifle shoots now makes me glad I didn't get any takers at the last show .

Last week I went out back with some three hundred yard reduced targets that are meant to be used at twenty-seven yards . I set them up at thirty five yards more to see how much the Aimpoint dot was going to cover more than anything . Ended up shooting at them at that distance anyway .

The load was the RCBS 22-55-SP with three point seven grains of Bullseye and a small pistol primer . Overall length was 2.180 if I remember right . Ten shot groups were all inside the black of the target , though a couple were on the line .

Today I loaded some different ones , bullet was from a Lyman four cavity 225462 mould sized at .225 , no gas check and two of the grooves lubed with Alox . Powder was four point one of 700-X , a small rifle primer and an over all length of 2.060" . I was using a LEE factory crimp to just turn the brass into the driving band but not distort the bullet real bad . That idea I got from Larry Gibson and it seemed to work real well . I set up a twenty-five yard pistol target at thirty-five yards and proceeded to chew the "X" out of it with about forty rounds . The group had two flyers that I attribute to voids in the bullets .

Neither load is real fast I don't think , but they are both accurate and it shows me what this rifle is capable of . I spent the afternoon filling a couple cans with ammo so let the plinking begin .

Jack