PDA

View Full Version : 38 Long Colt w Heel Boolets

MikeSSS
01-08-2008, 04:07 AM
36 caliber percussion revolvers use .375 to .380 round lead balls.

When converted to fire cartridges they used the 38 Long or Short Rimfire and later the 38 Long or Short Colt. These cartridges used heel bullets, like a 22 LR and Short do. Bullet diameter was up to .380 and .357 where the heel inserts into the case.

These heel boolets are said to need softer lead than just wheel weights. Right now I cast with wheel weights and range pick up lead. Hollow base bullets are said to need soft lead too.

To use a modern conversion cylinder in my Uberti 1851's I'd need to cast heel bullets and use a modified Lee Factory Crimp die. The alternative is 38 spl with hollow base bullets cast of soft lead so the hollow base will expand and engage the rifling. My preference would be 38 LC cases with heel bullets.

Is it too much hassle to cast heel bullets or hollow base bullets or is it practical to do this? I don't even know where to get soft lead to cast them from, any ideas on that?

Accuracy: I shoot the cowboy revolvers out to 50 yards but it's fast shooting, no groups just water bottles and silhouettes, no groups off a rest will be shot.

Well, what do you think..... keeping in mind that I'm pretty lazy.

Thanks

Wayne Smith
01-08-2008, 10:05 AM
1. Heeled boolits do not have to be cast soft, they can fit the barrel. You can use ww without a problem.

2. Using a hollowbase inside the case bullet, smaller than the bore, requires a soft lead bullet that will obdurate.

3. NEI cuts several heeled molds for the .38 caliber and the .41. I have the .41 mold and the heel is, in my opinion, way too short. Buckshot modified it for me. HarryO sold me one of his Lee hollow based heeled molds for my .41LC, no longer in production. Wonderful mold, I don't know if they ever made it in .38 Colt/S&W.

Harry, are you reading this? You are our resident expert in these cartridges.

Buckshot has come up with a crimp tool for these cartridges. Once he gets his mill back up and running I expect to have one coming my way. If you are serious about shooting this cartridge you might contact him.