PDA

View Full Version : Just a reminder about ebay...

silverado
05-07-2014, 05:47 PM
The other day I was ordering new toys on ebay and did not read the description well enough (which was wrong anyway) and ordered a 20 dollar lee bullet storage box :eek:
The seller was kind enough to cancel the order...... or so they said. Still waiting for the refund and the status to show as cancelled. Nothing new or breaking news, but just a reminder to be carefull....
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/08/ezyre4u6.jpg
Seller described that it was a lube and size kit w/o manufacturer packaging and didn't realize that they were selling the manufacturer packaging

DLCTEX
05-07-2014, 05:57 PM
Very misleading.

DLCTEX
05-07-2014, 05:58 PM
One seller is selling the Lee hand press and advertising it as cast iron. I messaged him that it was aluminum but he says they are cast iron. Not!

starmac
05-07-2014, 06:21 PM
17.98 from Titan, a sponsor here. I don't know how their shipping charges are though, but it does come with the sizing die. lol

lefty o
05-07-2014, 06:34 PM
i wont touch ebay or paypal due to their unfriendly nature towards anything to do with firearms.

2wheelDuke
05-07-2014, 06:35 PM
Titan's shipping is plenty reasonable. I'm about to order a couple round ball molds from him, plus some miscellaneous Lee parts.

I have to be desperate for something to buy it off eBay. But in the case of old motorcycle parts and stuff, that's about the only way to find them sometimes.

jcwit
05-07-2014, 06:40 PM
I use E-Bay for many things, gun related items included.
I use Amazon for many things, gun items included.

It's up to the buyer to read the description carefully, and check the sellers feed back.

jcwit
05-07-2014, 06:51 PM
17.98 from Titan, a sponsor here. I don't know how their shipping charges are though, but it does come with the sizing die. lol

Their shipping runs $5.80 to me for the least expensive way, but like you say, it does come with the die. LOL

Elkins45
05-07-2014, 07:08 PM
I use E-Bay for many things, gun related items included.
I use Amazon for many things, gun items included.

It's up to the buyer to read the description carefully, and check the sellers feed back.

For a second I wondered why you were listing Amazon in the post with eBay but then I realized why you were considering them as similar. Finding an item on the Amazon site doesn't automatically imply that Amazon proper is the seller. There are a lot of Amazon 'partners' and some of them are much more reasonable in terms of shipping and return/exchange policies than others. And be careful buying multiples if not directly from Amazon: there appears to be no mechanism to combine shipping, so if you buy 10 of something you pay 10x shipping.

fatnhappy
05-07-2014, 07:21 PM
caveat emptor. I've gotten some gems off Ebay and a couple dogs too.

silverado
05-07-2014, 07:26 PM
Was looking for the best deal.... I had 98 dollars to start loading 45 acp.... I can still make it once I get a refund from the eBay seller and buy the sizing die from amazon.... that includes a 6 cavity lee mold and lee 3 piece die set... As much as I like to complain about lee sometimes they allow me to afford casting and reloading

imashooter2
05-07-2014, 07:58 PM
Save the sizer dollars and shoot them as cast.

starmac
05-07-2014, 07:59 PM
I have never looked at amazon, do they beat Titans prices??

smokeywolf
05-07-2014, 08:08 PM
Outside of a couple of not too serious disappointments, I've had good luck buying and selling on said auction site.

Certain items, like tools and reloading equipment & supplies are often being sold by the widows, siblings or offspring of a craftsman or hobbiest who has passed away. These sellers frequently have little knowledge concerning the item they're selling.

smokeywolf

1989toddm
05-07-2014, 08:08 PM
Amen on shooting as cast, I've shot over 100 as cast and lubed through my 1895 with no leading at all! Accurate too!

silverado
05-07-2014, 08:10 PM
Don't like tumble lubing since I shoot indoors and pc my boolits to make them smokeless.

silverado
05-07-2014, 08:11 PM
Amazon had the 45 sizer for 21 bucks shipped with 2nd day shipping, I have amazon prime

Charley
05-07-2014, 09:57 PM
Always look at the picture, don't pay much attention to the descriptions. many, many people on Ebay who do not have any idea what they are selling, or what it is called. When you see a mold described as a "reloading bullet making kit", you get the idea they're pretty ignorant.

Love Life
05-07-2014, 10:12 PM
How are ya'll getting this cheap shipping from Titan? Every time I load a cart with them and go to check out, the cheapest shipping is ridiculous. Midway shipping is cheaper than theirs, for me. <-----I said for me.

MaryB
05-08-2014, 12:10 AM
Titan shipping is always cheap for me... that said some things can't go USPS priority mail...

OBIII
05-08-2014, 12:31 AM
Just remember:
Know what you are willing to pay (including shipping and handling). Do not get caught up in a bidding war.
Know what you are buying (ask questions if necessary)
If it is a standard commercial item, shop around. Google is your friend here.
I buy everywhere, and have had only a few "bad" deals.

OB

Pinsnscrews
05-08-2014, 12:56 AM
Always look at the picture, don't pay much attention to the descriptions. many, many people on Ebay who do not have any idea what they are selling, or what it is called. When you see a mold described as a "reloading bullet making kit", you get the idea they're pretty ignorant.

you do need to read the description. I have been ready to bid on items based on what is pictured, only to catch in the description what is NOT included in the sale which was pictured. IE: a Lyman lubrisizer with several dies in the front, yet, in the description is stated at the very end that the Dies were not included.

As far as shipping goes, couple things to keep in mind. Titan is able to keep shipping low due to what fits in the Flat Rate USPS Priority Mail packages. My wife keeps finding out the hard way how fast shipping climbs once she gets outside of those flat rate sizes. Your order may not fit the flat rate. Or it could be the system is not recognizing what can be shipped in a single box, and you may need to call Titan and see if they can combine it for a lower rate. Never hurts to call.

Being an Amazon Prime member has helped with Amazon shipping, and having one of the major hubs on the other side of town has literally had items my wife ordered at 2am delivered around 5pm the same day Free. Between the free books, streaming movies and the savings in shipping, the new $99 flat rate membership for prime is paid off in the first 2 months.

MaLar
05-08-2014, 01:12 AM
Some times the seller doesn't have clue what they are selling.

LaMar

Bad Water Bill
05-08-2014, 01:42 AM
I "WON" on evil bay and marked it as payment sent.

The seller marked it as payment received,shipped and left a nice feedback.

Imagine how surprised I was when I was notified that EVIL BAY was about to ban me for non payment.

Even after a phone call to EVIL BAG it still took a phone call from the seller to remove the non payment case.

IT still shows that EVIL BAY had to open a "NON PAYMENT"case against me.

They REALLY hate me when I send a money order and they loose all of that money to Play Pal.

Sometimes I can find a BUY IT NOW that is a deal and also their phone # and buy it direct.

No EVIL BAY charge to him and some times a better shipping charge to me.

jcwit
05-08-2014, 07:13 AM
The charge that E-Bay charges thru PayPal is nothing less that a Buyers Premium like many auction houses charge the buyer. Just a way they make money to keep the site/auction/business going. Somewhat the same as the markup a retail establishment charges.

I see nothing wrong with it.

pdawg_shooter
05-08-2014, 07:37 AM
i wont touch ebay or paypal due to their unfriendly nature towards anything to do with firearms.

I am 100% with you on this. I refuse to even look at evel-bay and will not get a paypal accout either.

dragon813gt
05-08-2014, 07:44 AM

You do realize they have changed their policies. I'm not saying they are pro gun. But they have relaxed a lot and allow most items now.

If you really want unfriendly then I hope you don't use Craigslist either. Their list of prohibited items includes pretty much anything firearm related including reloading tools. Worse part about that site is that it's other shooters that flag the listings. Ever wonder why you only see one person in your area selling brass? It's because he flags every other listing. The enemy is not always a large corporation like eBay.

jcwit
05-08-2014, 07:54 AM
I am 100% with you on this. I refuse to even look at evel-bay and will not get a paypal accout either.

Do you buy Quaker Oats products, do you or your wife shop at Target, the list can go on and on.

This is like saying I only buy U.S.A. made products.

Good luck with that!

trapper9260
05-08-2014, 09:06 AM
I seen something on ebay and was not sure it would work for my reloader I have for shotgun and send to the seller more about it and he said if you do not know anything about it then do not buy it.All I was asking to make use it would work for what i wanted to do.I did not get it from him because of his reply back to me.he was maken the parts.

searcher4851
05-08-2014, 09:26 AM

I wish more people felt the same as you, so there'd be fewer people running the prices up on items that I'd like to bid on.

sparky45
05-09-2014, 09:51 AM
What searcher4851 said.

jcwit
05-09-2014, 10:26 AM
Just received 3 packages from 3 different dealers at E-Bay, paid via PayPal. Two arrived in 3 days, 3rd one in 4 days, but the 3rd one came from Calif.

Excellent products, Excellent service.

texassako
05-09-2014, 11:06 AM
Just received 3 packages from 3 different dealers at E-Bay, paid via PayPal. Two arrived in 3 days, 3rd one in 4 days, but the 3rd one came from Calif.

Excellent products, Excellent service.

Same here, except yesterday. Bad photos and description can also lead to hidden gems like the Modern Bond DC mold with handles for less than $30 in one of those boxes. Then there is the barrel I almost bid on until the last photo showed the hole drilled in the chamber, or the molds that don't show the bottom because the handle screws are missing.

bangerjim
05-09-2014, 11:47 AM
I won't touch ebay any more. Too many idiots that "think" they know what they have and what it is worth. And all's it takes is two other idiots bidding on it to make the price go clear out of sight. Not worth my time & effort!

I hate how they now have hidden who is bidding. You cannot look at their record of sniping, purchases, and general performance any more. Not good for what I used to do.

Not talking gun stuff here. I deal purely in antiques.

banger

pretzelxx
05-09-2014, 12:11 PM
I used eBay once a few years back and had major issues, never used it since. I moved over to amazon Prime (free shipping in most cases) and get about 75% of my supplies and toys from there. I've saved probably 300-500 in shipping in the past three years of using amazon prime. (Back to topic) be cautious tho, as stated, some of the sellers on amazon have problems describing exactly what they're actually selling you. I've seen pictures of die sets, and it'll say a die "set" when it really means a singular die and lock rings or something.

Amazon sells a LOT of lee products, and you can sign up for one month of amazon FREE per email you use. save yourself the shipping! They ship fast and pack very well.

Bad Water Bill
05-09-2014, 01:04 PM
When Janet Monk joined our family and said she just published a book about her dads guns I was interested.

Then Wacky soupi came on and said he had competed against her dad at the 1K matches I started looking for the book.

Amazon had it so I bought the book.

Was I ever surprised 3 days later when the book arrived from somewhere in the darkest most remote section of Montana.

Not only was it a great book with great photos of his rifle collection and stories from the charming young lady BUT it was a personally signed copy with a nice comment by herself that will remain on my bookshelf till my son holds an estate sale.

jcwit
05-09-2014, 01:41 PM
I hate how they now have hidden who is bidding. You cannot look at their record of sniping, purchases, and general performance any more. Not good for what I used to do.

That I am glad they do, one of the last things I need is other bidders knowing who & what I do & buy.

Mostly anymore I pay attention to the "But It Now" Dealers.

shooterbob
05-09-2014, 02:22 PM
Remember that eBay has buyer protection against any item you purchase. If its not as described, you simply contact the the seller, and if they refuse to return/refund, you can open a case against the seller and EBay will investigate, and make them return the money. Also its never EBay opening a non pay case, its the seller. EBay will never step in unless prompted by the buyer or seller. Yes always read the fine print in a listing, there are shady dealers out there. Some are naive and some are devious, but its all protected. Sellers cannot leave negative feedback for buyers now. EBay blocked that, which makes no sense, but it was to keep customers coming back. I'm a seller on EBay and deal with this stuff daily, so its normal to me.

dragon813gt
05-09-2014, 02:50 PM
Why should someone be able to see my bids on eBay? I see no reason for the bidder's username to be available to the public.

Bad Water Bill
05-09-2014, 02:51 PM
its never EBay opening a non pay case, its the seller. EBay will never step in unless prompted by the buyer or seller

Please explain why a seller would open a case for nonpayment against me when I have the item in my hand and he has already left a great feedback.

Yes it took 3 phone calls to EVIL BAY by me and 2 by the seller before the case was closed but my record still shows that a case was filed for non payment.

That just makes it harder for me when I ask a seller if they will take a money order.

I purchased a buy it item and sent the seller the money order no as had previously been agreed upon.

A week later the seller told me that someone had used their pay pal account after my notification but before the M O arrived.

Yes I EVENTUALLY got my money order back after waiting over a month.

Love Life
05-09-2014, 02:57 PM
I like ebay and the other auction sites. They are free markets where the buyer determines the value. If I absolutely have to have something then I can go in swinging with my wallet. Works for me.

bangerjim
05-09-2014, 03:38 PM
That I am glad they do, one of the last things I need is other bidders knowing who & what I do & buy.

Mostly anymore I pay attention to the "But It Now" Dealers.

...........because it is no different than being at a REAL LIVE auction where you see who you are bidding against and learn REAL fast how and why they bid. That is why I refuse to use ebay or any other online piece of "stuff" anymore. Those sites have ruined the market in antique stores these days. Everybody has ebay open at the front counter and they are selling the good stuff there or are constantly using it as a reference for stuff the know absolutely nothing about nor it's real valve.

Gone are the good old days of shopping for bargain in antique stores. And I am not talking about gun stuff here.

banger

jcwit
05-09-2014, 04:13 PM
Those sites have ruined the market in antique stores these days.

That it has, the buying habits of the populace is changing. I like the savings and understand how it all works, and I'm 70. No need to go to "live" auctions anymore.

tja6435
05-09-2014, 04:20 PM
I ordered a Rex C100 PID controller with a k type thermocouple along with a heat sink and a 40 amp SSR, all in the same package from a China seller. Got a crappy knockoff pid, ssr and everything was good to go though. Opened dispute, played the game with the seller for a few days, escalated the decision to eBay and had the whole amount refunded to the Paypal account within a couple hours.
eBay has it's ups and downs, but their buyer protection is pretty solid if you get an item 'other than described' such as counterfeit electronics.

Handloader109
05-09-2014, 05:10 PM
Bay is not always bad, but you have to read. I buy from US sellers in almost every situation, may be a little bit more $, but it will be sent or I will complain.

shooterbob
05-09-2014, 09:51 PM
Please explain why a seller would open a case for nonpayment against me when I have the item in my hand and he has already left a great feedback.

Yes it took 3 phone calls to EVIL BAY by me and 2 by the seller before the case was closed but my record still shows that a case was filed for non payment.

That just makes it harder for me when I ask a seller if they will take a money order.

I purchased a buy it item and sent the seller the money order no as had previously been agreed upon.

A week later the seller told me that someone had used their pay pal account after my notification but before the M O arrived.

Yes I EVENTUALLY got my money order back after waiting over a month.
Sellers can have an auto case manager set up that if they don't mark an item as paid as in the case of a MOrder then the auto system opens a case. They forgot to go in a mark your item as paid and the system thought you hadn't paid. This is set up by the sellers tho, eBay doesn't do that unless you ask them to. PayPal payments automatically mark the item as paid. Sellers fault

shooterbob
05-09-2014, 09:56 PM
That it has, the buying habits of the populace is changing. I like the savings and understand how it all works, and I'm 70. No need to go to "live" auctions anymore.

Smartphones are the real culprit...used to at an auction or sale, you would buy something thinking it was good...now you can tell in an instant. It's how I make my living

jonas302
05-09-2014, 10:02 PM
I would like to know who decided that the post office was pro gun ?

silverado
05-09-2014, 10:17 PM
I would like to know who decided that the post office was pro gun ?

In georgia government buildings allow carry as long as there's no metal detector :cool:

jcwit
05-09-2014, 10:26 PM
In georgia government buildings allow carry as long as there's no metal detector :cool:

Seriously doubt that "state law" is going to help you if getting caught in a "federal building".

Federal law trumps state law.

silverado
05-09-2014, 10:27 PM
Seriously doubt that "state law" is going to help you if getting caught in a "federal building".

Federal law trumps state law.

Touche....

MaryB
05-10-2014, 12:13 AM
Lots of small town local post offices are not federally owned, they rent from someone.

jcwit
05-10-2014, 11:14 AM
Lots of small town local post offices are not federally owned, they rent from someone.

I like your posts Mary, and almost always go along with your views.

But is this case, try taking it up with a judge, its a case where if the feds wish to push it, the public/individual is going to loose.

Might get away with it tho, till caught.

Would I want to give up my freedom to own firearms and my license to carry all because I thought it was my right to carry in a federal "controlled" building, AAAaaaahhhhhhh, NO after I think about it.

imashooter2
05-10-2014, 11:31 AM
Post Offices generally aren't Federal Buildings. Carry in Post Offices is prohibited by Title 39, CFR, Section 232.1

http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?SID=01e8df67645ea94b9dca6d30baf30e41&node=39:1.0.1.4.21.0.1.1&rgn=div8

Bad Water Bill
05-10-2014, 11:48 AM
How about a caged area in the general store?

BruceB
05-10-2014, 12:09 PM
My nearest Post Office is a small area on the side wall of a large Scolari's grocery store.

It's only partitioned by the padded rails which herd the customers into some sort of order.

In times when the PO is NOT open for business, they just lock up the merchandise etc.... there is no actual wall between the PO and the grocery. The PO has NO CONTROL over the building or any part of it.

I suspect this would be one of those famous "grey areas" that we hear about.

Right next door to the Post Office "booth" is my Wells Fargo Bank branch, also wide-open to the food store. Although we do carry our artillery LEGALLY into banks in Nevada, this Scolari's store is really "one-stop shopping" for us handicapped individuals. I love it....and I do NOT go outside to disarm before wheeling myself back inside to the Post Office.

imashooter2
05-10-2014, 12:28 PM
As always, do whatever you want... Your lawyer can argue your case for years against the limitless funds of the taxpayers at only $400 an hour.

jcwit
05-10-2014, 01:15 PM
As always, do whatever you want... Your lawyer can argue your case for years against the limitless funds of the taxpayers at only $400 an hour.

LOL, Well put.