PDA

View Full Version : savage 340 in .222 Rem

atr
05-06-2014, 09:01 AM
I have an opportunity to buy a savage 340 in .222 Remington,,,the asking price is $300.00,,,,in very good condition...and with a side mount scope

Are there good shooters ?
worth the price?

thanks
atr

JonB_in_Glencoe
05-06-2014, 10:09 AM
Yep, good shooters, good price, The triggers can be iffy. I had one with a poor trigger, then I also had a 340 223rem with a much better trigger. I found out that there is no replacement and really no way to do a trigger job...other than just a simple clean and lube.

Tackleberry41
05-08-2014, 04:37 PM
I have an original stevens in 30-30, same rifle, just before Savage bought them. Very happy with it, old but still can get parts thru Numrich, including the magazines. Its not a varmint gun the way its made. And yea the trigger isnt great, but you can improve it with the usual, polish and tweak the springs thing.

Mine came with the side scope mount on it for $299. A bit restricted as to a scope. Theres no moving the rings so it has to fit in them as is. If you want to keep the irons on the rifle, cant go bigger than 33mm on the glass. I had to file down the rear of the mount to get a nikon magnification ring to fit.

Was shooting it today, mine will put 200gr cast bullets in nickel size groups at 50yds.