PDA

View Full Version : Reducing components needed / pistol primers in reduced rifle loads?

kawasakifreak77
05-06-2014, 04:14 AM
I've been on a kick lately to be able to cover all my reloading needs with as few components as possible. I have one caliber I load for (300blk subsonic) that I'm currently using small rifle primers in. I already load .357 mag & .45 acp with small pistol primers. If I could use small pistol primers in my blackout, it'd eliminate my need for small rifle primers.

I was about to load some up but figured I'd ask to see if anyone has done similar. I've got several hundred cases already primed up & ready to go so I want to use them up first. I have no idea the pressure of my load, but its very little. This would be only for subs, I don't bother with supers in my blackout anymore.

Oh & this is in a bolt gun so no chance of slam fires.

Thanks.

dbosman
05-06-2014, 07:22 AM
The difference in the height of the primers might affect things, but will probably be mitigated by the firing pin of a bolt gun.
The specific powder(s) and primer you pick may get interesting.
Don't get very far ahead for the rifle, until you work up a safe load.

petroid
05-06-2014, 07:24 AM
300 BLK would be an ideal candidate to try this on. I think you will have good success

DLCTEX
05-06-2014, 09:30 AM
I don't think there is a height difference with small primers between rifle and pistol, just in large primers. I use small pistol primers in some cast 22 Hornet loads for better accuracy.

Jupiter7
05-06-2014, 11:51 AM
Fast buring pistol powders and pistol primers should work fine.

dragon813gt
05-06-2014, 12:31 PM
You run the risk of piercing the primer if you use pistol primers in a rifle. Not saying it will happen. But the pistol primer cups are softer. Primer is also powder dependent. Are you using H110/w296 for your 300blk loads? If yes, then you need a rifle primer for reliable ignition. I've used rifle primers in handguns w/ no issues. I would not do the reverse.

dougader
05-06-2014, 06:03 PM
As mentioned, the higher pressure is the problem with your idea. If your loaded rounds have pressures higer than 35k psi then a pierced primer can be a real concern.

I use small rifle primers in high pressure handgun cartridges like 454 Casull, 9x23 Winchester and 327 Federal.

petroid
05-06-2014, 06:08 PM
OP says he is only loading 300 blackout to subsonic levels. This should be well under 35k psi

BK7saum
05-06-2014, 06:11 PM
Without knowing his load data it is impossible to say for sure, but I would venture that his subsonic 300 blackout loads are below the 35k pressure limit for the pistol primers

bangerjim
05-06-2014, 06:21 PM
Many have said there is a risk of actually punching thru the SP primer with the harder hitting rifle firing pin.

I do not do it. Primers are not that expensive. I have 4 different ones SP, LP, SR, LR and keep an ample supply of all on hand!

banger

rockshooter
05-06-2014, 08:04 PM
I use small pistol magnum primers in .223 with WW748 and in 300 Blk with H110- no issues at all.
Loren

kawasakifreak77
05-06-2014, 08:06 PM
I'm using bullseye in my load so its easy to ignite. I might use Unique but I'm really trying to save that for the .357 & .45

I've had a primer (sr) blow in this rifle when I was first loading supers & a few were too hot. Whatever gas came out of the back of the case didn't make it to me, so I'm very happy with the gas venting characteristics of the Remington action. Needless to say I pulled down the rest of that load & quit trying to make the blackout something it isn't. If something should happen, I feel well protected behind this rifle.

Components can be hard to find these days so if I can eliminate one more all the better. I'll be able to cover what I load with Bullseye, Unique & 4350, small pistol & large rifle primers.

If anyone is curious, I can post my findings once I get around to it.

Thanks for the discussion!

Whitespider
05-06-2014, 09:05 PM
I use *whatever* primer produces the best load uniformity... the label on the package means squat to me.

marvelshooter
05-06-2014, 09:11 PM
I use standard large pistol primers in my light .38-55 loads. They sit a little deeper in the primer pockets but work fine.

mpmarty
05-06-2014, 10:47 PM
I use lp primers in 308, 45/70 and 7.5X55 regularly with no ill effects.

303Guy
05-07-2014, 02:39 AM
It seems to be common practice to use small pistol primers in a 22 hornet with Lil'Gun to avoid pushing the bullet out on primer pressure before the powder ignites or something like that - better ignition consistency. I use Federal primers because they are supposed to be more sensitive and have a low power and besides, I load them to full rifle pressure. But those same Federal primers should work in a pistol too so why not use them if you can get? I'm not sure how they compare power wise to pistol primers.

Whitespider
05-07-2014, 08:44 AM
I can understand the desire to reduce, or minimize the amount of different components stocked... but I don't think primers are where I would start. The primer used will often make a dramatic difference in a given loads uniformity, and accuracy.

For a couple examples...
Some years ago I was getting ready for a trip west to shoot prairie dogs, working on a load for my .220 swift. Using a 55 grain Speer TNT-HP I'd worked up to 43.0 grains of H380... the load showed promise, but just wasn't there yet. My chronograph was showing an average 3715 FPS with standard deviations near 50 FPS and extreme spreads near 100 FPS. I switched from the standard CCI primer to the CCI Bench Rest primer and things got even worse. Next I tried the Winchester primer and things improved slightly. But when I went to the CCI 250 Magnum primer it became a different load entirely; I picked up almost 100 FPS and uniformity tightened dramatically... 3800 FPS average/11 FPS standard deviation/21 FPS extreme spread. Ten shot groups went from around ¾-inch (center-to-center) to tiny cloverleafs measuring under ½-inch outside-to-outside‼

Several years ago I spent all summer working with revolver cartridges and the chronograph testing primers. My goal was to find the best primer for large cases using a less-than-full case... such as the .45 Colt and mid-range loads in the .44 and .41 Magnums. I learned that the standard Federal LP (#150) was, by far, the best. Using most powders up through 2400 it gave the lowest standard deviations and extreme spreads... most of time the improvement was dramatic, often cutting extreme spreads by more than 50 FPS. In a couple revolvers that have a (relatively) light hammer fall (a .38-40 and a .44 Special) the improvement was over 100 FPS‼ (By-the-way, magnum primers were often the worst choice).

I keep at least a few of near every available primer for working on new loads... 'cause ya' just never know. I use a different primer in almost every rifle load... both cast and jacketed.