PDA

View Full Version : For those of you who want Lyman's cast Bullet Handbook #3

fatelvis
05-05-2014, 07:01 PM
Just found what appears to be new books for $21.99 and free shipping. Enjoy!
http://btliquidations.com/bsreloading.html

Latest update:
This place will take your money and you'll never get your book or hear from them. I'm sorry I mentioned them. If you would like a copy of the #3 book, these people are great and ship quickly.
http://www.cornellpubs.com/old-guns/item_desc.php?item_id=4455

WILCO
05-05-2014, 07:03 PM
Duly noted and thanks for sharing!!!

rintinglen
05-05-2014, 07:33 PM
Ck carefully before ordering. There have been several instances of scammers ripping people off "selling" 3rd editions that never arrive.

fatelvis
05-05-2014, 07:37 PM
I'll let you guys know. I just paid for it via Paypal.

Bjornb
05-05-2014, 07:38 PM
Both the First (1958), second (1973) and third (1980) editions can be purchased from these people for VERY reasonable money ($19.95-$24.95)
http://www.cornellpubs.com/old-guns/item_desc.php?item_id=2949

Bjornb
05-05-2014, 07:39 PM
BTW I bought the 1st and 2nd from them and they delivered as promised.

BudRow
05-05-2014, 08:12 PM
The fourth edition was a waste of money. The third is a treasure !!!!

doctorggg
05-05-2014, 08:31 PM
I ordered one fatelvis. Paypal will back us up if the company doesn't deliver.

gwpercle
05-05-2014, 09:22 PM
Any cast boolit shooter / reloader would do well to have #3 , and brand new for $22 delivered it just don't get no better. This one is still my #1 go to manual and it has a ton of good info. I'm probably preaching to the choir but any new guys out there...get this one.
The #4 does have some Lee boolit data and some new powders and cartridges that #3 doesn't but it's not going to replace #3 in any way shape or form.....good to have both.
Gary

MrWolf
05-05-2014, 09:31 PM
I ordered from that btliquidations looking for the same thing last year. Had to file with paypal for non-delivery. Vendor never bothered responding so I got money back. The web page looks exactly the same. Sorry but I don't think you are getting your manual. I got lucky and found my copy locally.

fatelvis
05-06-2014, 05:27 AM
I just ordered another one from Cornell Publication. If I do end up receiving two, I'll be selling one here! Lol

LtFrankDrebbin
05-06-2014, 05:41 AM
Thanks for posting all above, I've been tossing the coin over what to buy, 3rd of 4th? Without the chance to flick through either it's a bit of a gamble. Plus I only load and cast for two calibers so would either book be worth it?

fatelvis
05-06-2014, 05:49 AM
I have only the fourth, and I enjoy it. It is one of my favorite additions to my bathroom library! It has interesting reading going over almost all aspects of casting, alloying, lubing, etc. From what I've read, the 3rd edition was better, so I must have it. If casting boolits interests you, buy it, no matter how many calibers you load for.

RedHawk357Mag
05-06-2014, 06:55 AM
That's an odd thing...The lyman #3 commands a very respectable price on ebay...I won an auction yesterday for one. I have been in probably around seven auctions for a number 3. I paid 34.00 including SH. You would think they would do a reprint of a book if there is really that much of a calling for it. I think there is a guy on ebay who is selling reprints from a digital file. Think he is charging 24.00 to 25.00 for it. OBTW the NRA has a book I have been looking for on casting as well CAST BULLETS by EH Harrison. I got a digital copy PDF but I think the actual book would be a much better read.

tazman
05-06-2014, 04:07 PM
Cornell publications sell manuals on eBay as well as their own site.
I bought the 3rd edition from them about a month ago. Good service and fast shipping. No problems whatsoever.

dougader
05-06-2014, 05:26 PM
I just ordered the 3rd Edition from Cornell Pubs.

Is the 1st, 2nd or 4th worth the $$ ???

gwpercle
05-06-2014, 05:39 PM
Thanks for posting all above, I've been tossing the coin over what to buy, 3rd of 4th? Without the chance to flick through either it's a bit of a gamble. Plus I only load and cast for two calibers so would either book be worth it?
YES.
Number 4 is easy to get, so get it. Keep an eye out for number 3 at a reasonable price. Both are great to have. There is info in one that's not in the other. I have and use both . Not about to throw away #3 it still has much too much relevant information in it to toss.
You may only load cast for two NOW...but I guarantee you will be loading for more in the future....We don't refer to this as an "addiction" for nothing.
Gary

Blanco
05-06-2014, 11:43 PM
YES.
Number 4 is easy to get, so get it. Keep an eye out for number 3 at a reasonable price. Both are great to have. There is info in one that's not in the other. I have and use both . Not about to throw away #3 it still has much too much relevant information in it to toss.
You may only load cast for two NOW...but I guarantee you will be loading for more in the future....We don't refer to this as a "cult" for nothing.
Gary

Fixed it for you!

pls1911
05-09-2014, 09:07 AM
After many years of honest use, I bought a second #3 after the first one got soaked on an ATV...
Though the pages are now stiff and rough, the first copy remains fine for use...it's just UGLY.
Would I sell the spare copy? NEVER!! I have earlier versions as well a the #4, and the #3 is the go to book among all books in the reference library.

james23
05-11-2014, 02:13 PM
I just bought the #3 from Cornell as well. Its a reprint but happy to get it.

bangerjim
05-13-2014, 06:31 PM
This a bogus crooked seller! Takes the money and runs. Ordered and no response from 3 emails. Called the vendor phone number on Paypal receipt and was disconnected. Home page is "under construction".

Files dispute with Paypal. They suck. What a joke. No human response.

Filed dispute with my credit card and got money credited back immediately!

DO NOT ORDER FROM THIS BOZO. IT IS A SCAM.

banger

AbitNutz
05-13-2014, 07:47 PM
got my Cornell pubs as well...

Got this email from them....

Hello - great to see you as a customer again - we appreciate your support. Every other order is for this Handbook and I do not quite understand the reason..............regards, Abby

dragonrider
05-13-2014, 08:25 PM
I have had my #3 for years. Anyone who doesn't have one should get one. Also have a 4 and it is ok, but it can't compare with a 3. As others have said it is my go to manual.

Hamish
05-13-2014, 08:37 PM
How are the Cornell reprints bound please?

finstr
05-13-2014, 08:39 PM
I have #4. What's so great about #3 that I'm missing? Must be something epic.....?

enfield
05-13-2014, 09:14 PM
Bangerjim, you don't say who your talking about, is it the one mentioned in the opening post ??

fatelvis
05-13-2014, 09:17 PM
This a bogus crooked seller! Takes the money and runs. Ordered and no response from 3 emails. Called the vendor phone number on Paypal receipt and was disconnected. Home page is "under construction".

Files dispute with Paypal. They suck. What a joke. No human response.

Filed dispute with my credit card and got money credited back immediately!

DO NOT ORDER FROM THIS BOZO. IT IS A SCAM.

banger

BangerJim is right. I just received my Cornell copy Saturday (very fast shipping!). The other Clown is unreachable, and has my money. Time to file with Paypal also.

bangerjim
05-13-2014, 10:21 PM
I am referring to BT liquidators. A real BOZO. :takinWiz:

Just ordered the book from Cornell. From what is reported here, they are an excellent company to deal with.

fatelvis...........good luck with PayPal! There is no live people to talk to. I got in touch with my credit card people and within 5 minutes had the funds back in my account! Better go after your money immediately. They say you have 45 days and a dispute takes 20 days to even get anything started with the vendor.

banger

TXGunNut
05-13-2014, 10:45 PM
#4 is a good manual, IMHO. Have it on good authority #3 is better.

clownbear69
05-13-2014, 10:45 PM
Thanks for the second link OP next paycheck it will be mine.

fiberoptik
05-13-2014, 11:50 PM
Both the First (1958), second (1973) and third (1980) editions can be purchased from these people for VERY reasonable money ($19.95-$24.95)
http://www.cornellpubs.com/old-guns/item_desc.php?item_id=2949

I found mine at the gun shop in a pile of old used books. Didn't know what they were at the time, but paid $2 & $3![smilie=w:]

BPrezPB
05-14-2014, 12:57 AM
Thankyou Ive been lookin for this. I want to see what all the hype is about ;)
Made it very easy to get it.

YunGun
05-20-2014, 11:54 AM
Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook 3rd Ed.

(http://1drv.ms/1kRmH38)Had trouble linking directly to the document but it's in there along with other docs, & should be downloadable.

Doesn't seem to want to open/view online due to it's size, so just download the PDF file directly to your PC, then view it from there.

bangerjim
05-20-2014, 02:33 PM
Yes, right click and SAVE.

banger

sthwestvictoria
05-20-2014, 02:49 PM

(http://1drv.ms/1kRmH38)Had trouble linking directly to the document but it's in there along with other docs, & should be downloadable.

Doesn't seem to want to open/view online due to it's size, so just download the PDF file directly to your PC, then view it from there.

Goodness - a scanned copy of Chemistry of Powder and Explosives by Tenney L. Davis. There was a copy of this in my school library! Loved reading this back then. Thank you.

YunGun
05-22-2014, 12:43 PM
Happy to share my meager collection... Enjoy.

Anyone looking for anything else in particular? If I've got it or can find it, I'll upload it...

Finarfin
05-26-2014, 07:07 PM
How are the Cornell reprints bound please?

Details are posted on the home page. Sounds similar to how the Lyman #4 is bound. Soft copy thick cover glued together. IIRC.

62chevy
05-26-2014, 10:10 PM

Thanks have a link on my Desktop now.

starmac
05-26-2014, 11:03 PM
I have #1 and #4, would hate to be without either. both has calibers and loads the other doesn't have. I will eventually get #2 and #3.

Finarfin
05-29-2014, 07:50 AM
The Lyman #2 is also available at Cornell. I ordered the #3 from them a couple days ago. I found it on a Google search and also found this thread. Once I saw the data in the scan above I decided I really needed it.

SSGOldfart
05-29-2014, 09:12 AM
That's an odd thing...The lyman #3 commands a very respectable price on ebay...I won an auction yesterday for one. I have been in probably around seven auctions for a number 3. I paid 34.00 including SH. You would think they would do a reprint of a book if there is really that much of a calling for it. I think there is a guy on ebay who is selling reprints from a digital file. Think he is charging 24.00 to 25.00 for it. OBTW the NRA has a book I have been looking for on casting as well CAST BULLETS by EH Harrison. I got a digital copy PDF but I think the actual book would be a much better read.

Col. E.H.Harrison book has been out of print since 1979 but their is some copies around they are pricey I've got one I got it from Col. Harrison back in the 70's I had the honor of serving with him. We shared the Range many, many, times.

RedHawk357Mag
05-29-2014, 12:12 PM
Awesome deal! I have been keeping an eye out for a copy with the supplement. There is one currently on eBay for 150.00 or best offer. Tempted but still holding out :-) Just got a copy of the RCBS cast manual. Some info in it but not worth the price it currently commands on Ebay. Printing the castboolits pdf was a much better investment than the RCBS manual.

bangerjim
05-29-2014, 01:13 PM
If you read this thread from the beginning (!) you would see there is a reprint already available!

http://www.cornellpubs.com (http://www.cornellpubs.com/old-guns/item_desc.php?item_id=2949)

They have HUNDREDS of reprints of gun catalogs and manuals.

I ordered one and it is an excellent repro of the original. But if you want a dog-eared, dirty, torn original (????) buy on off evilbay! It is much cheaper from Cornells.

I also have the PDF but prefer printed matter and they provide it at a VERY reasonable price............not like the thieves on evilbay.

We are not talking "rare books" here. It is just a paperback loading manual you keep at the bench.

banger

ghh3rd
05-29-2014, 09:04 PM
Nice collection YunGun - that should keep me busy reading!

SSGOldfart
05-29-2014, 11:14 PM
Thanks have a link on my Desktop now.
Same here man there's some good reading on that site.

fatelvis
05-30-2014, 05:52 AM

Wow! Thanks Yungun!

gray wolf
05-30-2014, 09:06 AM
Lyman edition # 3 has the same low ( very low ) FPS #,s for the 44 mag as the new book does.
BUT ! it has a wealth of other good info, I down loaded it, took us 3 hours to do it.

Thank you

Sam

Valley-Shooter
05-30-2014, 09:44 AM
Cool free download.
12 seconds.

bangerjim
05-30-2014, 10:36 AM
D/L is not as good as having real pulp pages you can flip thru and bookmark, but it is useful on my iPad.

D/L took me about 14 seconds with a fast cable server! And using Download Accelerator software. (free for all you "dead broke" guys out there.)

banger

BPrezPB
05-30-2014, 12:08 PM
Bought the reprint, fast 2 day ship. Nice hard copy good find! I grabbed a couple of dl in 2 secs...
Thank You!

YunGun
05-30-2014, 01:58 PM
While I too prefer the real thing, there's no denying the convenience of digital transfers!
Not so handy if the 'lectric's out though... [smilie=b:

I've recently uploaded several more documents as well, thanks to some additional contributions from 'sthwestvictoria'.
There should be 53 items shared there now; let me know if they're not available for some reason.

Enjoy!

P.S. - Most of these files are large enough that they likely will not display properly if you attempt to view them online in the browser, so just download the PDF file(s) directly to your PC, then view them from there

Kent Fowler
05-30-2014, 04:45 PM
I have #4. What's so great about #3 that I'm missing? Must be something epic.....?

I was expecting #4 to surpass my # 3. I was sorely disappointed.

shooter93
05-30-2014, 06:25 PM
Abbey at Cornell is great and if you haven't been to her site she has TONS of reprints there and I think all the Lyman's. I've been buying from her for years and can't say enough good things about her.

fatelvis
05-31-2014, 11:06 AM
I got the reprint in two days, but I also like the electronic version. The saved file lets you print out a particular data page to hang up at the bench, when working up loads.