PDA

View Full Version : TV on the internet?

fastfire
05-05-2014, 12:18 AM
Are there any channels or places to watch movies on the internet?
I canceled Dish 7 months ago, and do not have even local channels now.

KYShooter73
05-05-2014, 12:23 AM
I cancelled my DirectTv. There are tons of entertaining shows and movies on Netflix. No commercials. $10 or $15 a month. Free for the first month, try it and see if you like it.

Cmm_3940
05-05-2014, 12:33 AM
On your computer or on your TV? If TV, do you already have some sort of streaming player device?

retread
05-05-2014, 12:33 AM
About every major network has a website were you can watch their programs on your computer.

2wheelDuke
05-05-2014, 12:36 AM
They're not movies, but I've seen some documentaries that I enjoyed quite a bit on Youtube. I think Netflix is running me about $8 a month.

fastfire
05-05-2014, 12:50 AM
I gave my tv to my parents, their TV died. so all I have is the computer.

Cmm_3940
05-05-2014, 02:50 AM
Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Instant Video, Vudu, HBO Go, Redbox Instant, etc. etc. etc....

Also, FOX, PBS, and other networks have select broadcast episodes available online for free.

FWIW I read one review thar said Amazon has the best picture quality, but it really shouldn't matter on a computer screen.

Lead Fred
05-05-2014, 06:11 AM
all the major channels have websites where you can watch everything thats on and a lot of older stuff

Ship canned my TV 15 years ago

waksupi
05-05-2014, 07:14 PM
Lots of old movies and shows on Youtube.

JonB_in_Glencoe
05-05-2014, 07:55 PM
Lots of old movies and shows on Youtube.
YEP,
and I'd like to add, that about two years, I specifically upgraded to a new LED TV with plenty of inputs, just so I could watch movies and other shows online...HDMI inputs/outputs are the way go.
A favorite show of mine is South Park...They have their own website with archived episodes going back to the begining...1995 or 96 ? 17 seasons anyway.

dbosman
05-05-2014, 08:40 PM
Yes, but... Like most things in life there are buts... And, it's all changing quickly. Both in additions and withdrawals.
Browse the sites of the companies that offer movies and TV before subscribing. A lot of what people want just isn't available as the studios haven't figured a way to maximize their return yet. ALSO - a lot of movies are available from Netflix - but not online. So you have to pay double for DVDs and online access. It's still cheaper than cable or phone line subscriptions.

For those with a wireless router and a TV with an open HDMI port, start with a Roku box or a Chrome Key. Roku boxes can be bought for $35 if you catch a sale. I suggest you start with a Chromekey as you can get them locally. Keep the receipt. Then browse for anything and everything you can think of that would hold any interest for you. If you like what you see, keep the key. If not, return it.

Your local library is your friend too. Almost all libraries are part of consortia that provide for inter-library loan. In Michigan it's called Mel-Cat. I check my local library catalog for books, movies, music, etc. and if they don't have it, a single click searches the hundreds of in state libraries for it. A couple more clicks and my library id and the title is ordered for pickup at my local library. No extra charge.

2wheelDuke
05-06-2014, 03:27 AM
Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Instant Video, Vudu, HBO Go, Redbox Instant, etc. etc. etc....

Also, FOX, PBS, and other networks have select broadcast episodes available online for free.

FWIW I read one review thar said Amazon has the best picture quality, but it really shouldn't matter on a computer screen.

My computer screen is nicer than my TV screen, and both of my TV's are pretty nice.

Cmm_3940
05-06-2014, 06:35 AM
Resolution doesn't matter as much on a 20"-22" screen as it does on a 50"-60" screen.

Pb2au
05-06-2014, 06:58 AM
Go with Netflix. We went down that path some years ago and it was a great move.
If you shop on Amazon, consider getting Amazon prime. Besides easy shipping, it opens up more access to movies, documentaries, and the like on line as well.

woodsxdragon
05-06-2014, 09:55 AM
I had amazone, hulu, and netflix.
I cancelled hulu cause i wasn't paying for commercials.
Amazon got cancelled when they raised the price.
I've had netflix for 5 years or so now.
Also I condone pirating and will say the internet has plenty of options for streaming tv if you look hard enough.

WILCO
05-06-2014, 10:15 AM
Are there any channels or places to watch movies on the internet?
I canceled Dish 7 months ago, and do not have even local channels now.

You can still get rabbit ears and there's always Netflix with a Roku box to use on the t.v.
That's how I roll.

WILCO
05-06-2014, 10:18 AM
Also I condone pirating......

That's like a democrat who supports "open borders" but puts a "private property" sign on his fence post. Just saying.....

CastingFool
05-06-2014, 11:22 AM
Get a Roku! There are some stuff in there that you pay for, but there is a lot more that's free.

dragon813gt
05-06-2014, 12:07 PM
Anything above a laptop w/ a HDMI output is wasted money. W/ a full computer you can do everything on the TV screen. Ever see a Quickload pressure curve on a 60" TV :D

I pay for Netflix and Amazon Prime. I order a lot from Amazon so the video service is an added bonus. Hulu is a waste of money IMO. You can watch the shows for free on the networks websites. Almost all the movies they offer are available on Netflix. And what isn't offered there is most likely available on YouTube. There are a lot of other streaming video services as well. I spend a lot of time watching amateur videos on Vimeo. You wouldn't know they were amateur based on their production. Using a laptop gives you access to the wide world of torrents as well. Just make sure you stay on the legal side.

I've been using a laptop hooked up to a TV since 2006. I don't miss cable one bit. You will need a TV antennae if you like watching live sports. But I see this coming to the Internet eventually. UFC fights have shown that a lot of money can be made streaming sporting events. And their servers are setup properly so there is no glitches when streaming a fast paced fight.

bangerjim
05-06-2014, 12:14 PM
I still am an avid supporter of DirecTV. Have the entire package, except all the sports poop, on 2 large HD TVs. And when traveling on business, I can watch most of the DTV programming on my iPad! BlueToothed to my BOSE portable speaker system and the sound is GREAT.

Also have Apple TV, Roku, & Netflix for that "other" programming when I want it.

But with all the movie channels and other channels on DTV, I do not want for anything.

It is definitely worth the money. I rarely watch anything that is not HD any more. Youtube is for how-to videos and dumb stunts.

And satellite TV is available anywhere.....Starz package it very inexpensive and has, I believe, 12 movie channels in it!

For any of you guys living out in the remote areas of the country, I would think satellite TV would be on the "absolute must have" list!

banger

woodsxdragon
05-06-2014, 08:15 PM
That's like a democrat who supports "open borders" but puts a "private property" sign on his fence post. Just saying.....
Mayhap your useage of condone differs. Around here condone usually means agree with or accept. Now not-condoning or saying you can't condone usually means you don't agree with it.

In other words... yarrrrr

xs11jack
05-06-2014, 08:29 PM
Google Flipp tv mostly free lots of movies.
Ole Jack

mold maker
05-07-2014, 03:10 PM
OK, I'll be the one to ask the silly question. What's Roko????
My 55" TV is my monitor, so what do I have to do to get local TV on it? I bought the recommended box for antenna TV when they went HD, does it still work? I never watch over half a doz channels.

dbosman
05-07-2014, 04:31 PM
For local over the air digital TV - I use one of these.
http://www.dx.com/p/usb-dvb-t-tv-dongle-with-remote-8309#.U2qWfrG8_q4
Cheap and it gets the job done on a 22" monitor. I've no idea how it will work with a 55" monitor

Roku is the name of the company that makes Roku streaming players.
http://www.roku.com/meet-roku

$40 here.
http://www.rakuten.com/prod/roku-hd-streaming-player/233818743.html?listingId=316135508&scid=pla_google_DealFisher&adid=18165&gclid=CNOEh5fTmr4CFbRxMgodF3IAQA

and here
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?gclid=CLaZj6vTmr4CFY0WMgodV1IABA&Item=N82E16815328012&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwords&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-_-pla-_-Video+Devices+%26+TV+Tuners-_-N82E16815328012&ef_id=UxoPygAAAcMlYQ8o:20140507202834:s

The Roku 2 and Roku 3 offer a headphone or earbud jack in the remote.
http://www.roku.com/products/compare

2wheelDuke
05-07-2014, 06:40 PM
I know someone that swears by the Roku, and she quit cable a while back in favor of that, rabbit ears, and Netflix.

I have an Apple TV. My ex had one, and it worked pretty well with the iPad. I also use a Macbook for my main computer. I can use the Apple TV to put anything that's on my laptop screen onto my TV, wirelessly.

I'm using the Apple TV to stream music and play it on my TV speakers while I do housework, with some internet breaks mixed in.

skeet1
05-07-2014, 06:52 PM
I have fallen in love with Acorn TV. If you like British mysteries, drama, comedy and documentaries, you will like it also. It is not free but I think I pay about $5.00 a month. Check it out! http://acorn.tv/featured

Ken

fecmech
05-07-2014, 07:47 PM
[QUOTE=skeet1;2769950]I have fallen in love with Acorn TV. If you like British mysteries, drama, comedy and documentaries, you will like it also. It is not free but I think I pay about $5.00 a month. Check it out! http://acorn.tv/featured

+ 1 on Acorn. Love Foyles War, George Gentley, Vera, etc.

Cmm_3940
05-07-2014, 09:33 PM
OK, I'll be the one to ask the silly question. What's Roko????
My 55" TV is my monitor, so what do I have to do to get local TV on it? I bought the recommended box for antenna TV when they went HD, does it still work? I never watch over half a doz channels.

So is it a TV, or just a monitor?

What is this box you mention? Is it an external tuner for a monitor-only panel? If you are using it as a computer monitor, it should be digital, so the box shouldn't be a converter for an old analog TV?? Does it use HDMI?? If so, then it's definitely digital. 55" would be an awfully big analog TV...

If you have a TV, i.e., it has a tuner to change channels, and all you want is local Broadcast stations, then all you need is an antenna. Rabbit ears won't cut it unless you live in town. Go here to find out which antenna you need:

http://www.antennaweb.org

If you have decent broadband internet, some sort of router, an HDMI TV input, and would like to get more than just local TV, then check out Roku. I have one of these and it works great:

http://www.roku.com/products/roku-3