PDA

View Full Version : Am I an ***???

trails4u
05-04-2014, 12:49 AM
So, here's the deal. I volunteered, through a post on this site, to donate some 22lr rounds to a group that could use them. I'm not going to delve into detail...just trust that it's a very good cause, and I feel really good about sharing some of the stash. Here's my rub, with myself :( ..... In the deep dark scary places of my mind, I'm dealing with 'strangers' I've met on the internet, albeit through this forum, so when I went to meet and deliver the donation, I chose to carry.... Well, I met a wonderful, beautiful young family with their 1yo son sleeping peacefully in the back seat, and of course immediately felt like a moron for even having the thought cross my mind that I should have expected anything other than that. So, now I'm questioning myself.....was it 'right' to go the protective route and carry.....or just paranoid?????

Bloodman14
05-04-2014, 12:55 AM
In today's world, better safe than sorry. Don't feel bad; I have been in similar situations.

R.M.
05-04-2014, 01:01 AM
Not at all.I carry all the time, not because I'm paranoid, but how foolish would it be to have need, and have left it home.

Jr.
05-04-2014, 01:07 AM
I have run into a similar situation posters all over the truck saying out of gas need help. Well the handle of my concealed weapon was showing and the woman immediately started taking down the signs, after seeming extremely happy to see me. It was only a little while later that I realized this was one of those scams to beat up and rob a good Samaritan on the side of the road. I always carry can never be too careful.

rondog
05-04-2014, 01:36 AM
You're fine. It's not like you had an AR15 on a sling in a combat-ready position! That's what a concealed carry permit is for, carrying. Besides, you had to get to the meeting point, then back home, right?

Ya wanna talk about sheepish feeling - I went to meet a guy at his office to buy my .44 Winchester from him. I was wearing a 1911, but not really because of the transaction. Turned out the seller was an FBI agent, on duty! We conducted the transaction in the local FBI field office. Yes, there was a severe pucker factor. But all was cool, I even told him I was carrying and he seemed tickled, "we need all the good guys we can get!"

M-Tecs
05-04-2014, 01:52 AM
What problem did you carrying create? What could of happened if you weren’t carrying and you should have been? The point of carrying is to deal with the unexpected.

freebullet
05-04-2014, 02:08 AM
ABA with no regrets.

Dhammer
05-04-2014, 03:47 AM
I'd say never take chances. I lost count of how many people got whacked responding to Craig's list ads n such. We had a few my agency had some involvement in so it really hits home one can never be to safe.
I always carry but, I have carried for so long I'm uncoformtable not carrying. Until recently we werent a carry state so bad guys felt safe in they weren't going to have an armed victim.. I was selling a truck on Craig's List. I kept it while it was for sale at a buddies auto shop parking lot for more visibility. I got a call from someone who wanted it asap and off I was to go meet em. I left in such a hurry I forgot my backup I carried off duty. Long story they were going to roll me and take truck. I went in to get my keys from buddy (I hadn't seen them yet and he said they gave him a bad feeling. Said you got your side arm right? Nope forgot it I was in such a hurry. Here take my cash register gun) so I go out and meet them. Their plan was to test drive pull over and try and roll me by having me outnmbered with a trail vehicle filled with their buddies. Of course I did the, intital just me being over hyper until he realized I had a bulge in my waist band and he got all bug eyed, for in his cell and in spansih was telling someone he's a cop.and armed just leave now. Car a block away peels out with shady characters. His buddy who he wanted all three of us to ride in front is now sweating up a Strom in mid 60's weathe not to mention the sudden onset of nervous tremble. They didn't know I understood Spanish. It went from he had $15,000.00 cash on him and needed a truck asap to he needed to sleep on it. He didn't have any kind of cash on him either. Pockets were empty and no wallet. But he was addiment t I have the title on me he was in such a hurry. Guy that ended up buying that roll of cash was easy to spot. That's the shorter version. One one of my many life flashing before my eye moments was the trying to assit the report of the little eldery grandma type who appeared lost as she attempted to drive a pair of taylor type scissors into side of my of neck. Quick reflexes was all that kept me alive.. But never in a million years would I say a grandma type was going to try and end my life. Most of the others yeah, it was a hell of a lot more obvious. It still drives my wife nuts I have to sit with my back to a wall and where I'm least exposed but have the best view of every one else. Large gatherings etc same way.

Hickory
05-04-2014, 06:18 AM
Don't ever get the idea of being paranoid, it is preparedness.
I have never known anyone to feel paranoid for having a spare tire in their car.

Teddy (punchie)
05-04-2014, 06:18 AM
Try to be ready at all times. Watch everyone. I;m like this all the time, from pick pockets to

people that should not trust. I compare it to being in a pasture with a Bull better always have

one eye on him, never know when he may try something.

00buck
05-04-2014, 06:42 AM
It's better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

In my great state the PEOPLE are not allowed to carry.. I would be nailed to the cross if caught carrying (GASP!!) a gun! :(

consider yourself Lucky to live in a FREE STATE

William Yanda
05-04-2014, 06:44 AM
Prepare for the worst, expect the best.
No you are not an #@$$)L#3, now it you used it, that would be different.

w5pv
05-04-2014, 07:26 AM
I am never without the shooting iron.It is better to have and not need than to need and not have.

dilly
05-04-2014, 08:03 AM
In the laboratory we practice "universal precautions." That means you threat all samples as if they are contagious, knowing that some are and some aren't. One of the effects is that a patient doesn't have to feel like he or she is being singled out as "nasty" or "diseased".

I try to practice universal carrying procedures (except at the hospital of course). That way I can say, if anyone asks, that I always carry. No one can take it personally.

Hickok
05-04-2014, 08:47 AM
Trails4u, nothing to feel quilty about. I am always armed. In my little Baptist Church, I and some of the congregation pack during services. Being armed can protect others as well as yourself if the situation arises.

The people you met with, being shooters, would understand fully.

trails4u
05-04-2014, 09:41 AM
I appreciate everyone's sentiments.....it does make me feel better. I guess I just hate living in a world where a simple act of charity forces us to think, "Do I need to arm myself for this?"

Smoke4320
05-04-2014, 09:49 AM
I always carry even in my own home .. It is second nature ..
stopped what I fully believe would have been a home invasion once .. Woman came knocking at my door late one evening .. I opened the door to find the woman at the door and 2 males just to the side of my house ..my hand is on gun then lady looks down and asks in kind of a stumbling speech if this is the "jones" residence I say no and they all go back real quick like in the car

so no I say you did just fine.. Be prepared .. If nothing happens you have had a good day ..

Stephen Cohen
05-04-2014, 09:53 AM
Think yourself lucky you live in a country that allows you the choice. Nobody can be sure of what to expect in the situation you describe. If you look at it in another perspective it shows you care enough about your family to see you come back to them.

Bullshop Junior
05-04-2014, 10:50 AM
I don't own a handgun, because I haven't been able to get my hands on one being under 21. I always carry a rifle in the truck though, or a shot gun. On this particular day about a week or so ago, I happened to have my handi rifle with a 7.62x39 barrel on it. I always keep the gun jammed between the side of the driver seat and the console.

I had just left Walmart and while I was there, I had pulled some money out of the ATM machine as I was collecting some cash to buy a car the following weekend. I then just had to stop and get gas and was gonna head home. I pulled up to the pump, hopped out, leaving the door open. (I wasn't walking far from the truck, wasn't putting in much gas and was too lazy to close it) I swiped my card, and as I was filling up the truck I noticed this guy (typical loser looking) kinda slowly walking over. I'm from Alaska. Used to people walking up and asking for beer money. All the sudden this guy leans over, peers into my truck, yells "SH*T!!! HE HAS A GUN!!!" And takes off running along with two other guys in the parking lot.

Now tell me. This was just a everyday trip to town for me. I was at the same nice gas station i always go to. And if I hasn't had the gun probably would have been robbed/worse. My guess is the guys followed me from Walmart.

Do you regret carrying a gun to a meeting?

Even if the people you deal with were perfectly nice they are not the only danger.

trails4u
05-04-2014, 11:24 AM
These are all great anecdotes, and great reminders of all the reasons we should carry, as well as fight endlessly to preserve our rights to do so. Thank you all for your posts. I don't carry everyday, so when I choose to, it's usually because I feel there's some reason. (I know I'm opening a can of worms with that statement, but understand, my job does not allow me to carry! Otherwise, I probably would.)

Just needed a gut check, and you guys have, as always, delivered!

crackshotsdad
05-04-2014, 11:35 AM
Standard attire: Shirt, jeans, belt, boots, wallet in back pocket, good pocket knife in the other back pocket, 1911 on hip.

woodsxdragon
05-04-2014, 04:02 PM
better safe than dead. Sure nothing to be afraid of meeting someone... but as your walking back to a car some punks come up and hit you with something. you literally never know what can happen.

Love Life
05-04-2014, 04:08 PM
Meh. I have a gun on when home and when out roaming the desert, but rarely when in town. Do what you want and justify your actions and decisions to nobody. Honestly, I'd rather carry a sap than a gun.

Texantothecore
05-04-2014, 04:36 PM
I always sit facing the door. Just a good precaution to follow.

str8shot426
05-04-2014, 04:59 PM
I don't carry. I feel being aware, and having an escape plan will suit me better. Find the trouble and avoid. No hero stuff for me.

aspangler
05-04-2014, 05:12 PM
Trails4u, nothing to feel quilty about. I am always armed. In my little Baptist Church, I and some of the congregation pack during services. Being armed can protect others as well as yourself if the situation arises.

The people you met with, being shooters, would understand fully.
Can't count the times I have been asked at church if I have my gun. After saying "of course" their response is always "Thank You"

freebullet
05-04-2014, 07:45 PM
I don't carry. I feel being aware, and having an escape plan will suit me better. Find the trouble and avoid. No hero stuff for me.

That is your choice. Most times it will. Sometimes that is not
possible, for those times you aren't prepared. Carrying a gun doesn't indicate your trying to be a hero. Sorry to call you out, but that just sounds like some liberal mumbo jumbo.

str8shot426
05-04-2014, 08:13 PM
That is your choice. Most times it will. Sometimes that is not
possible, for those times you aren't prepared. Carrying a gun doesn't indicate your trying to be a hero. Sorry to call you out, but that just sounds like some liberal mumbo jumbo.

The op has no reason to feel like an a$$. Exercising a right we support here. But choosing not to doesn't make one a "liberal".

skeettx
05-04-2014, 08:43 PM
You are smart, you wear a belt to hold up the pants, you wear sun glasses if the sun is bright,
you use sun blocker as needed, and you carry protection in social situations.
Sounds normal.
Mike

p.s. Read the first chapter of Romans

Love Life
05-04-2014, 08:51 PM
This is the one thing I don't like about this site. Some people are too quick to slap the liberal label on a persons choice.

I don't carry in town either. Now that I am older (relatively speaking) I seriously doubt I'll need to smoke somebody. Even if I had a gun, if somebody got the drop on me with their gun, I doubt I would ninja roll to the left while drawing and putting two shots into the target and then assessing the target.

Back to the OP. Why should you feel like an ***? It's your right to carry a gun. If anybody is offended by it then they can pull out their smart phone and text their mom for emotional support.

WILCO
05-04-2014, 08:55 PM
This is the one thing I don't like about this site. Some people are too quick to slap the liberal label on a persons choice.

Posting is optional.................

gandydancer
05-04-2014, 09:13 PM
Have you rehearsed all the situations of being accosted? for your escape plan-s? just asking. :veryconfu

BNE
05-04-2014, 09:29 PM
We are to preserve life. Yours is included. Have you considered the possibility that THEY were also carrying? Would that make you uneasy or more comfortable.

I'm always amazed at how polite people are at the local gunshows. Maybe it is because we all share similar interests, or maybe it is because of the readily available fire power!

trails4u
05-04-2014, 10:23 PM
Thanks, Barry! Great perspective......and actually, as I think about it...I think I would feel better in that situation if the other person were carrying as well. Strange, huh?? Hell...I'd feel better if I knew that everyone I ever met was carrying.....bet the crime rate would go down, huh???? :)

Bzcraig
05-04-2014, 10:50 PM
I wouldn't give it a second thought or carry all the time and it's a non issue

freebullet
05-04-2014, 11:37 PM
The op has no reason to feel like an a$$. Exercising a right we support here. But choosing not to doesn't make one a "liberal".

Choosing to carry doesn't mean your trying to "be the hero" either, and that's the way you made it sound. As if you are smarter than everyone, can avoid any bad situation, & have moral high ground because you travel about unarmed. I didn't call you a liberal, I said " that sounds like a bunch of liberal mumbo jumbo". I stand by that statement. Maybe just the way I read it, go forth unarmed if you wish. Be aware I won't be your hero and I'm armed always.

southpaw
05-04-2014, 11:41 PM

I have no plans on being a hero or a statistic. I think that most if not all of us that carry do the same as you. But I know that there could be a situation that I can not avoid and I would rather not be the statistic.

There are some people that should not carry. If you are not preparred to take on the responcibility, then it is best to leave it at home. It would bother me something fierce to know that I was in a situation that I could have prevented or ended and I was unpreparred (or worse did nothing) and someone was injured or killed. Again, not looking for a hero cookie but hiding under a table and hoping for the best isn't for me.

To the op, My brother just started carrying and at first it was odd for him. Once he got used to it it is now just like his cell phone. Hopefully we will all go through life never needing it.

As my Dad once told me: Tread softly and carry a big stick.

Jerry Jr.

str8shot426
05-04-2014, 11:47 PM
Posting is optional.................

Yes sir, I should have opted out of this one.

Boogieman
05-05-2014, 12:13 AM
When someone asks why I always carry I tell them . I'm not looking for trouble, IF I knew exactly when & where I'd need my gun I wouldn't go there. I'm old enough to look like an easy mark & heal slowly. You may catch me without my shoes but not my 1911 Colt.

psmokey
05-09-2014, 01:22 PM
Yes I carry.99% of the time. I not only carry for myself also for the wife and kids. If I'm gone who will stand up and make sure that my wife will be look after. Who would have my type of influence and insite. that will be giving to my kids and grandkids. I'm one of the stupid ones that will not leave some one stranded on the side of the road. If someone needs help I will assist them. Some how i can't learn to mind my busness and leave them stranded. Some day it mite bite me in the butt( just hope it's not soon) I choose to do this and I like who I am for doing it. As for carrying Yep you never know !!! Phil

Mausermeister
05-13-2014, 03:22 PM
I'm not sure I understand the question. You only carry when you "think" you might need it? I carry all the time, even at home and at church. The only places I don't have one on me is at work, the post office, and the courthouse. I don't think you were out of line. Especially going to make an exchange with someone you met on the interwebz.

oldgrouch
05-14-2014, 12:33 PM
I carry everywhere .... even on my won property in the mountains of E. TN. The wife and daughter want to get permits. In today's
world, you're better off having it and not needing it than ........

ghh3rd
05-14-2014, 02:01 PM
I agree... I carry always, even in my home. Also, I don't care if I were off to meet someone from a reputable web site, just as a matter of habit, I will have at least my S&W .38 snub in my pocket.

oscarflytyer
05-15-2014, 12:36 AM
I carry to the dang grocery and hardware store! Of course, I carry all the time.

IF/When I am going somewhere I don't know/meeting some complete stranger, I carry more/bigger! Every day is a compact 45. In these instances I upgrade mag capacity, extra mags, and/or 1911.

Am I paranoid? Heck no, just untrusting and taking care of myself!