PDA

View Full Version : NEI molds

TUG
05-04-2014, 12:01 AM
I want/need a GC 6mm mold in the 60-70 grain range. They have a couple listed in their catalog. Any one ever used one?
Ronnie

HeavyMetal
05-05-2014, 09:53 PM
I have had several NEI molds made by Walt Melander the original owner.

Walt has since moved on to the big range in the sky and I heard his SIL took over the business. That was awhile back and not sure if theres been another change of ownership or not.

Your doing the right thing: ask for refferences on the "New" NEI or try to fanagle an old Walt cut mold.

RobS
05-05-2014, 10:10 PM
It's been 6 or so years ago and my experience with an NEI was not very good; my mold was cut off center and rough in the cavities. It took forever to get the mold in the first place and when I received it I emailed several times about the condition of the mold before finally calling about things and was assured it was a good mold but if I wanted to send it back they would look at it and decide if and what they could do. Being an aluminum mold ended up leementing/lapping the mold to smooth out the cavities and later when I switched calibers I sold it for a big loss because I couldn't bring myself to even think about selling it for what a good mold should be worth because it just wasn't.

I really don't know what the current NEI molds are like but Walt was a master mold maker and any NEI mold during his time was likely a work of art.

TUG
05-05-2014, 10:30 PM
Thanks for the replies. I want this mold for a Gary Reeder revolver I just got. I want the GC 60-70 grain with a flat point. Know of any one who produces such?
Thanks,
Ronnie

Bullshop
05-05-2014, 10:55 PM
For a light 6mm I have a 75gn from Veral Smith at LBT that shoots darn good.

Kraschenbirn
05-05-2014, 11:24 PM
'Nother 'thumbs down' on the current NEI operation. Walt Melander cut my first custom mould back in the mid-80s and, since then, I've acquired a couple more 'early' NEIs and both cast almost flawlessly. 'Bout two years back, though, I picked up another 'old' NEI that I wanted reworked to remove the GC shank. Called NEI and couldn't get anyone knowledgeable to talk to me. When I gave the person who answered the phone the mould #, she said "We don't make that one, anymore. You should check our website to see if there's something close to what you want." So, I explained that I already had the mould and just wanted some work done on it. Then, she said she'd have to have someone from the shop call me back. Waited a couple days and called again; same story. Waited a couple more days, PM'd Buckshot, and had my reworked mould back in less than two weeks...which, btw, nows drops what has become my 'go-to' boolit for the .38-55.

Bill

RobS
05-07-2014, 09:56 AM
Thanks for the replies. I want this mold for a Gary Reeder revolver I just got. I want the GC 60-70 grain with a flat point. Know of any one who produces such?
Thanks,
Ronnie

I would send a photo out to Accurate Molds and have Tom cut it for you or try and duplicate this particular mold on Mountain Molds site and have Dan cut the mold.

www.accuratemolds.com

or

www.mountainmolds.com

madsenshooter
05-07-2014, 10:10 AM
NOE shows 6mm 75gr flatpoint molds in stock. I don't know if they'll produce the 80gr again, but it's a good bullet too.

TUG
05-07-2014, 02:07 PM
I sent a message to Veral Smith at LBT asking if he would make what I was looking for and this was his reply.
"That mold won't be on the site, nor are hundreds of others which I will make. *All are custom, so the sky is the limit."
Who'd a thunk it was as simple as asking!
Ronnie

RobS
05-07-2014, 07:09 PM
Veral is a great mold maker as well and his work is top notch. I've had a mold cut from him and nothing but a great piece of work it just took him a while before getting to mine as he was ordering parts. You won't be disappointed with a LBT mold for sure.

Maven
05-07-2014, 07:17 PM
"You won't be disappointed with a LBT mold for sure." ...RobS

Amen!

Artful
05-07-2014, 08:45 PM
I miss Walt
- But Several other's have stepped up to take care of our needs and it's sort of the golden age of having a mold made.

madsenshooter
05-07-2014, 08:59 PM
Ya ain't wrong there Artful! Nothing quite like getting a bullet that fits without have to modify a mold yourself.

TUG
05-07-2014, 10:51 PM
Accurate has a 30 caliber minimum, mountain molds 6mm is still in the R&d.
Ronnie

I would send a photo out to Accurate Molds and have Tom cut it for you or try and duplicate this particular mold on Mountain Molds site and have Dan cut the mold.

www.accuratemolds.com

or

www.mountainmolds.com

Artful
05-07-2014, 11:23 PM
http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/product_info.php?cPath=25&products_id=91&osCsid=71q75pn1j9vkrl19f7atr08uk4
http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/images/1111-16424575GrFN.jpg

NOE doesn't show any of these left but you might talk to swede (AL) and see if he's got a sample hidden away
http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/images/1111-17424580GrFNMX3-245-EX%5B1%5D.jpg

Artful
05-08-2014, 12:06 AM
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/103504/saeco-2-cavity-bullet-mold-243-243-caliber-6mm-244-diameter-85-grain-truncated-cone-gas-check?cm_vc=ProductFinding
http://media.midwayusa.com/productimages/880x660/Primary/103/103504.jpg

and of course you should haunt
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/forumdisplay.php?18-Swappin-amp-Sellin

RobS
05-09-2014, 08:43 AM
Accurate has a 30 caliber minimum, mountain molds 6mm is still in the R&d.
Ronnie

That's right I had forgotten this. NOE, LBT or the other molds suggested by others seems to be the options right now.

Good Cheer
05-09-2014, 09:25 AM
To answer the original question, I done business with NEI for oh, over twenty years now. Maybe started just after Reagan got elected. After Walt passed his daughter and son-in-law picked up the slack. It appears that there was a learning process for a while. I've had some cavity recuts done in the past few years and have been well pleased with the results. At this point I wouldn't have a worry in getting new production molds from them.