PDA

View Full Version : life of bullet lube

colbyjack
01-06-2008, 11:40 PM
how long or how many bullets will a stick of lube do in a star sizer?

does lube go bad? grandpa had a black stick of lube in foil he ssaid it was 20 years old and he got it from freelands in rock island. he gave it to me but im going to order some stuff from white lable lube tommorow.

getting BAC lube.

http://www.lsstuff.com/lube/index.html

http://www.lsstuff.com/lube/index.html

http://www.lsstuff.com/lube/pics/bac-tube-01.jpg

BAC:
This lube is a mix of my Carnauba Red and 50-50, light red in color.
Some of my customers started mixing it this way at home to get a lube with performance similar to Carnauba Red, does not need a heater. Slightly softer than the 2500+ lube.

is this lube any good?-chris

felix
01-07-2008, 12:00 AM
All of these lubes mentioned on this board are good. All lubes are application dependent. Some lubes will work for a nice range of applications. Others will work best only for something in the extreme. For the most part, the latter class of lube must be tailor made for that application. An extreme example would be a lube for bullseye indoor at 750 fps, exhibiting good accuracy over 50 rounds with minimum (zero) smoke. ... felix

454PB
01-07-2008, 12:11 AM
I've still got a supply of home made lube from 30 years ago. I can't see that it has changed at all. It is stored in a tighly sealed container, I can't say how it would hold up inside a sizer. When I got my used Star sizer, it was partially filled with some dark colored lube that had turned to tar. I had to use a hair dryer to warm it and clean it out.

colbyjack
01-07-2008, 12:22 AM
i took everyones advise and cleaned it out and cleaned it up.

i have zero experience with any lube. my main goal with the ammo im loading is local IPSC matches and practice on a indoor range 11 yards.

once my marvel conversion comes in ill just cast for the IPSC matches and shoot .22 for practice most of the time.

the only mold i have is that H&G 68 200 grain. and ill be pushing it out of a springfield 1911 using 4.3 of clays and thats under 900 FPS but over 825 FPS. i dont have a chronny just going off what others say.

so i was thinking just get some of the red lube, BAC lube, 50/50 and some 2500 lube that site has. just to try them and see what happens.

im going to order that lee 20 pound pot tommorow from midway. and hopefully by the end of the week i can give it a try. if the lube comes in that is.

if i dont have a heater and the lube is to thick can a 100 watt lamp close to the luber make it soft enough to work? -chris

Iowa Fox
01-07-2008, 12:47 AM
Colbyjack,

I see you are from the Quad Cities. My long time friend Paul Sass is a cast bullet and home made lube world champ. He is the co owner of Square shooters on South Rolf St in Davenport, it is a good place to hang around. If the guys will open up to you they will help you.

Their old shop on State street in Bettendorf was a paradise for cast shooters, too bad the city made them move out of that beautiful old building along the river.

colbyjack
01-07-2008, 01:00 AM
Colbyjack,

I see you are from the Quad Cities. My long time friend Paul Sass is a cast bullet and home made lube world champ. He is the co owner of Square shooters on South Rolf St in Davenport, it is a good place to hang around. If the guys will open up to you they will help you.

Their old shop on State street in Bettendorf was a paradise for cast shooters, too bad the city made them move out of that beautiful old building along the river.

no joke, ive talked to paul quite a few times. ill swing down there tommorow. i went in there on saturday but they were busy didnt talk to them. all i seen was the lyman yellow lube on the shelf. ill have to ask and see what he can come up with. they are great people indeed. i got a old BSA with a unertl scope and hes a old unertl guy. i buy all my powder and primers and dies from them. just didnt see to much out on the shelf far as casting goes. i will talk to paul tommorow or this week. . thanks for the heads up, maybe he can give me a few pointers too. ill hold off on my lube order till i see what hes got. ill check to see if he can order me the pot instead of midway. he may have some just not out. seems like what ever i break or need they happen to have it. -chris

leftiye
01-07-2008, 01:21 AM
FWIW, Your acp maybe one of the least demanding calibers as far as lubes go. Even soft lead at those velocities doesn't put much stress on a lube. Also, autoloading pistols can benefit from a little lube on the boolit nose while chambering (less deformation) you could try Lee Liquid Alox, or dipping them in Castor wax. Might be all they need. No reason why 50/50 alxo/beeswax couldn't be put into the grooves in a sizer too. Again, might be all they need.

Do some esearch here on threads about the ACP, there are plenty, and plenty of info. Don't go hog wild on the lubes would be my suggestion. Wait till you start casting and loading for more calibers. I like Lar's lubes just fine. I don't have a problem with any of them. But a .45 acp doesn't need a space age lube.

Lloyd Smale
01-07-2008, 05:56 AM
only problem that i could see with lubes being old is a lube based on animal fat that could go rancid. Or a lube that has some water based property actually drying up. I made my first batch of felix lube using water based lanolin instead of anhydous lanaolin and after about a yar it dried up and crumbled off the bullets

Ricochet
01-07-2008, 01:13 PM
Or one containing solvent drying up, like the Alox 606-70 discussed in another thread. Or my homemade combo of beeswax, LLA and lanolin. Or anything with JPW in it especially; it's about 80% mineral spirits. Shrinks like crazy and dries brick hard.

Forester
01-07-2008, 08:49 PM
For a satisfactory lube that is cheap and pleanty effective on my .45ACP, and .38spl loads check out Magma Engineering's brand of lube. It runs about a buck a stick and by my estimate one stick does about 1200 Lee 200gr SWCs. Whenever I order something from Magma I throw in a pound of lube so I always have a good supply on hand.

JIMinPHX
01-07-2008, 10:21 PM
I lubed some boolits with Lyman Moly-lube & left them sitting on the bench in my shop. About 2 weeks later I picked them up & noticed that the lube had shrunken & was no longer flush with the outside of the boolit. If I put them in a sealed plastic container, then this does not happen. If lube is in a properly sealed container, it seems to last a long time. Some lubes seem to shrink from evaporation. This seems more likely with the softer lubes.

colbyjack
01-07-2008, 11:22 PM
my estimate one stick does about 1200 Lee 200gr SWCs. .

oops seen this a touch to late, i jumped the gun i ordered 14 sticks.... :coffee:

looks like there will be alot of :Fire: [smilie=1: -chris

Forester
01-08-2008, 12:01 AM
oops seen this a touch to late, i jumped the gun i ordered 14 sticks.... :coffee:

looks like there will be alot of :Fire: [smilie=1: -chris

That just depends...I shoot 20,000 of these boolits a year so 14 sticks wouldnt even last a year.

Shiloh
01-08-2008, 03:11 AM
I am currently using the BAC lube from Larsen's. I use it for rifle ('06 and .30-40) as well as .45ACP and .38/.357. It's slightly smoky in the hand guns but less so in the rifles. Read about it on this forum.

Leaves a nice lube star on the muzzles and there is still a little lube in the grooves of recovered boolits. I guess I'm reading into this that the lube is doing it's job, lubing all the way through the bore and no leading.

Larsens sent me several sample sticks in my orders. I gave the Carnauba Red Lube to a friend who uses hard lubes. He then ordered half a dozen himself from Larsen's. Good lube, good price.

Shiloh :castmine:

lar45
01-08-2008, 08:18 PM
Hi, here is the results of a limited check on a few different bullets and how many bullets per stick.
lube weight stick weight 1.5 oz
4/19/2007

Bullet # per stick Cal-weight
C358-180 RF 1500 .357- 180gn
45-230 BD 681 .451- 230gn
45-330 PB 70% 562 .452- 330gn
454-255-SWC 562 .452- 255gn
50-360-HB minnie 264 .501- 360gn

The bullets were weighed before and after lubeing. My lube sticks are around 1.5-1.6oz per stick.

I have pieces of my different lubes that have been sitting out on a paper next to my desk for about 3 years. They are all still the same consistency. The 50-50 took about 2 years before the paper started to get an oily spot under it.

The 50-50 and Xlox 2500+ lubes do have a tendency to smoke a little, just like the other Alox lubes do(Javalina, Lee...)
My BAC lube does have some Alox in it, but hasn't shown much if any smokeing. The Carnauba Red shouldn't smoke at all and it's also 100% Non-Toxic, but it does need a heater.

I'll keep an eye out for your order and try to remember to put some C-Red in with it.

If anyone wants to try samples of the different lubes, just send your address and which ones you want.

Another good lube you might look into is BullShop's Speed Green.
If nothing else, everyone needs a bottle of his Bull Plate lube for lubeing sprue plates.

If you run into any problems or have questions, please feel free to PM or e-mail.
Glenn.

lovedogs
01-08-2008, 11:18 PM
Hey Glenn... those of us who ordered that big order from you last year are still using your 50/50 and are all still happy with it. If I remember, we ordered 100 or so sticks so it'll take us a while to use it up. I sealed mine in packages using a vacuum sealer so I don't think it would ever dry out. It's great stuff... thanks buddy!

Mike

colbyjack
01-09-2008, 12:06 AM
Hi, here is the results of a limited check on a few different bullets and how many bullets per stick.
lube weight stick weight 1.5 oz
4/19/2007

Bullet # per stick Cal-weight
C358-180 RF 1500 .357- 180gn
45-230 BD 681 .451- 230gn
45-330 PB 70% 562 .452- 330gn
454-255-SWC 562 .452- 255gn
50-360-HB minnie 264 .501- 360gn

The bullets were weighed before and after lubeing. My lube sticks are around 1.5-1.6oz per stick.

I have pieces of my different lubes that have been sitting out on a paper next to my desk for about 3 years. They are all still the same consistency. The 50-50 took about 2 years before the paper started to get an oily spot under it.

The 50-50 and Xlox 2500+ lubes do have a tendency to smoke a little, just like the other Alox lubes do(Javalina, Lee...)
My BAC lube does have some Alox in it, but hasn't shown much if any smokeing. The Carnauba Red shouldn't smoke at all and it's also 100% Non-Toxic, but it does need a heater.

I'll keep an eye out for your order and try to remember to put some C-Red in with it.

If anyone wants to try samples of the different lubes, just send your address and which ones you want.

Another good lube you might look into is BullShop's Speed Green.
If nothing else, everyone needs a bottle of his Bull Plate lube for lubeing sprue plates.

If you run into any problems or have questions, please feel free to PM or e-mail.
Glenn.

thanks bud look forward to trying the lube. i think i mainly ordered BAC and 1 stick of the others to try. thanks -chris