PDA

View Full Version : Some posts in "Our Town" about making suppressors

Russel Nash
05-02-2014, 11:27 PM
a few weeks ago, I stumbled across a post here where a guy's friend submitted the paperwork to the ATF to build his own suppressor. The poster said it was only going to cost $50 to make it.

Just like to see the finished product.

Artful
05-02-2014, 11:50 PM
heck with that, we want to hear it.

waksupi
05-03-2014, 12:07 AM
Shouldn't even cost that much.

fastfire
05-03-2014, 12:55 AM
Go here to learn about building your own suppressor.

http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/index.php?sid=112567aa7646a980ffb992f24d5b9adc

xacex
05-03-2014, 01:23 AM
May have been me....
Paperwork submitted. Form 1 can for 300 blackout.

Mk42gunner
05-03-2014, 06:44 AM
I wish they were legal and cost what they should, not the artificially inflated price due to legislation. Maybe then I wouldn't be hearing a constant cricket symphony in my ears....

Robert

alleyoop
05-03-2014, 10:13 AM
Are they not legal in Missouri ?

I wish they were legal and cost what they should, not the artificially inflated price due to legislation. Maybe then I wouldn't be hearing a constant cricket symphony in my ears....

Robert

trooperdan
05-03-2014, 12:55 PM
Many years ago, I was in Switzerland where suppressor use is encouraged, given the closeness of that country. I was in a gunshop, gazing longingly at a suppressor for a Ruger Mk1 and the price was $12 US! I must admit wondering if I could get it through customs from Germany back the US in my hold baggage!

fastfire
05-03-2014, 01:29 PM
Many years ago, I was in Switzerland where suppressor use is encouraged, given the closeness of that country. I was in a gunshop, gazing longingly at a suppressor for a Ruger Mk1 and the price was $12 US! I must admit wondering if I could get it through customs from Germany back the US in my hold baggage!

I believe you get caught with an unregistered suppressor an it is 10 years in a federal prison or something close to that.

trooperdan
05-03-2014, 01:45 PM
I believe you get caught with an unregistered suppressor an it is 10 years in a federal prison or something close to that.

Yep! And no more gunownership! Which is why I passed until I got one, legal and registered!

nicholst55
05-03-2014, 02:13 PM
A couple of years ago a Brit was visiting a friend here in the US and brought a suppressor along to gift to said friend. He very nearly ended up on a one-way plane trip to Gitmo, handcuffed and hooded! They finally sorted it out, and he was released after a very stern tongue-lashing. Poor Brit couldn't understand what all the fuss was about, as suppressors are unregulated in the UK!

xacex
05-03-2014, 04:03 PM
Although I feel it is unconstitutional, It is only 200$ to file a form 1 and make your own, or a form 4 to purchase one if your state allows it. No reason to risk spending 10 years mandatory behind bars. It is hard to believe America would still be totalitarian against suppressors, when europe allows common ownership of them to reduce noise pollution. But, you have to play by the rules of the NFA. BTW, Russel Nash I was told that the silencer forum was a good place to look for ideas. The one that was built by the fellow I know out here said his was one that is posted there. Something about freeze plugs and exhaust pipe. His works real well, so I will slap one together with some better tubing once I get the stamp back. I put 11 inches on the form so i can do a full pressure 308 can, and put 7.62 as the caliber on the form.

cheese1566
05-03-2014, 05:46 PM
Still waiting.....for my Form 1 to be returned. I sent it in last December and figure I may get back in late fall/winter. I also figure about less than $50 in metal and that's new stuff from online metals. Of course, I'll buy more than that so I can practice threading the tube. Plus, I may GunKote it as well and that will add a little more to the bottom line.
I learned a lot at silencertalk and keep cruising there to learn more and get ideas while I am waiting.

Mk42gunner
05-03-2014, 10:13 PM
Are they not legal in Missouri ?
I guess I should have written "legal to buy with no paperwork."

I haven't looked into the legalities of getting one for several years; but to me if you have to pay a $200.00 tax on what is basically a lawn mower muffler, or face ten years in prison, something is wrong with the system.

Robert

Artful
05-03-2014, 10:52 PM
I guess I should have written "legal to buy with no paperwork."

I haven't looked into the legalities of getting one for several years; but to me if you have to pay a $200.00 tax on what is basically a lawn mower muffler, or face ten years in prison, something is wrong with the system.

Robert

1934 - it's been a bad system for a long time.

MaryB
05-03-2014, 10:55 PM
Hysterical talk about them being used for crime. Liberals think they make a gun totally silent like in a movie. And legislature her ein MN refuses t listen to logic and science. During last years assault weapon ban attempt someone brought in a ruger 10/22 and showed how easy it was to swap it from wood hunting stock to evil black rifle. Dems as a group stood up and walked out as soon as the gun came out...

Russel Nash
05-04-2014, 07:56 AM
1934 - it's been a bad system for a long time.

Thanks to the war on alcohol...errr ....drugs

Garyshome
05-04-2014, 07:57 AM
Just remember the NSA is watching this thread right now!

Russel Nash
05-04-2014, 08:00 AM
Still waiting.....for my Form 1 to be returned. I sent it in last December and figure I may get back in late fall/winter. I also figure about less than $50 in metal and that's new stuff from online metals. Of course, I'll buy more than that so I can practice threading the tube. Plus, I may GunKote it as well and that will add a little more to the bottom line.
I learned a lot at silencertalk and keep cruising there to learn more and get ideas while I am waiting.

A buddy of mine told me that if you make one out of all stainless or buy one legally out of all stainless especially the ones that aren't "user serviceable" that a 50/50 mix of hydrogen peroxide and vinegar does a really good job of getting all the gunk out...without eating away at the stainless baffles, or stainless tube.

Russel Nash
05-04-2014, 08:02 AM
Just remember the NSA is watching this thread right now!

I am at that point where I just don't care any more.

Russel Nash
05-04-2014, 08:12 AM
May have been me....
Paperwork submitted. Form 1 can for 300 blackout.

Yeah, now that I think about it...I do think it was you.

I was just curious if you (or your buddy) were working with plans...or just grabbed typical hardware store or automotive parts store type items to build one...no bridgeport or metal working lathe required.

Russel Nash
05-04-2014, 08:15 AM
Go here to learn about building your own suppressor.

http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/index.php?sid=112567aa7646a980ffb992f24d5b9adc

This pic helps a lot:

http://www.everydaynodaysoff.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/suppressor-x-ray.jpg

Artful
05-04-2014, 08:45 AM
A buddy of mine told me that if you make one out of all stainless or buy one legally out of all stainless especially the ones that aren't "user serviceable" that a 50/50 mix of hydrogen peroxide and vinegar does a really good job of getting all the gunk out...without eating away at the stainless baffles, or stainless tube.

Yes, but the liquid that holds the lead is HIGHLY TOXIC and DANGEROUS.

Russel Nash
05-06-2014, 06:10 PM
Peroxide+acetic acid+lead+carbon fouling = ????

Hey, what could go wrong?

:)

Artful
05-06-2014, 08:42 PM
Peroxide+acetic acid+lead+carbon fouling = lead poisoning

Hey, what could go wrong? -

Symptoms of Lead Poisoning in adults

Although children are primarily at risk, lead poisoning is also dangerous for adults.
Signs and symptoms in adults may include:

High blood pressure
Declines in mental functioning
Pain, numbness or tingling of the extremities
Muscular weakness
Headache
Abdominal pain
Memory loss
Mood disorders
Reduced sperm count, abnormal sperm
Miscarriage or premature birth in pregnant women

:twisted:

dakotashooter2
05-07-2014, 09:42 AM
Hollywood is a bigger evil when it comes to guns than our government because they dictate the public image which trickles down to our legislators. If our government went "no tolerance"on guns, meaning no guns in movies either, Hollywood would go broke.... They better be careful about biting the hand that feeds them. Of course they would just squeal that it would be a violation of the first amendment................

FWIW most of the symptoms of "lead poisoning" are also symptoms of old age........................

davidheart
05-07-2014, 09:59 AM
Hey, what could go wrong? -

Symptoms of Lead Poisoning in adults

Although children are primarily at risk, lead poisoning is also dangerous for adults.
Signs and symptoms in adults may include:

High blood pressure
Declines in mental functioning
Pain, numbness or tingling of the extremities
Muscular weakness
Headache
Abdominal pain
Memory loss
Mood disorders
Reduced sperm count, abnormal sperm
Miscarriage or premature birth in pregnant women:twisted:

Hey... don't most adults have those problems anyway? We're number 6 in the world of cancer rates... I'm thinking there is more at play.

Other than that... having to pay a $200 or even $100 tax stamp and have my self checked out like a sex predator for wanting to make sure my ears aren't blown out while I'm practicing ticks me off. A professional, high grade suppressor does not cost more than $50-$100 to make en masse. An at home job probably costs about $10 but that's just what I've heard.

MaryB
05-08-2014, 12:29 AM
Sounds like a recipe for an explosive, nagging the corners of my memory...

Peroxide+acetic acid+lead+carbon fouling = ????

Hey, what could go wrong?

:)

Adam10mm
05-13-2014, 09:22 PM
Yes, but the liquid that holds the lead is HIGHLY TOXIC and DANGEROUS.
Creates lead acetate. Do not put that stuff down the drain. Take it to the hazmat recycler and have them process it. You cannot do it with publicly available chemicals. Seriously, lead acetate is nothing to mess with.

Hamish
05-14-2014, 09:21 AM
Creates lead acetate. Do not put that stuff down the drain. Take it to the hazmat recycler and have them process it. You cannot do it with publicly available chemicals. Seriously, lead acetate is nothing to mess with.

Did a search and ran across this: " Alternatively, the solution may be reacted with sulfuric acid to precipitate nearly insoluble lead(II) sulfate. The solid may then be removed by mechanical filtration and is safer to dispose of than aqueous lead acetate."

MaryB
05-14-2014, 11:15 PM
Yeah it is a precursor to an explosive... things I remember from high school chemistry class way long ago!