PDA

View Full Version : in the hospital

mikeym1a
05-02-2014, 01:21 AM
I found out in february that I have terminal cancer. It was not my first, and I was actually expecting it. Long story. But, I was determined to live until I die. My physical deterioration continues, but 36hrs ago took Thea strange turn. I couldn't sleep, and was forming brass for my 'new' Comblain rifle. On buckshot's advice, I made them from 32ga brass shells. I was just about done forming the neck when I had a masive pain in my lower left quadrant. I ended up getting my son to bring me to the VA Hospital ER. Been here for all that time. My blood sugar was way high, as was my white cell count. They have been giving my staggered doses of antiiotics, and have just about cut the white cell count in half. They have no idea what caused the massive pain in my side, all organs intact, but showing changes consistent with the spread of melanoma cancer. The only relief from the pain is a very strong pain killer, deloude. I sure would like to able shoot these 4 guns I've worked so hard to make ammo for, just to see if my handiwork would pay off. I do have to compliment the Staff here at the Martinsburg, W Va VAHospital for the fine care they have given me. With this latest episode, I have no Idea how much longer I have left on this plane. I am a Christian, and hold those promises close, but, There is still much I would like to do. Pray for me that I will aproach the end with grace, and calm. mikeym1a

Artful
05-02-2014, 01:28 AM
Prayers sent - I envision you shooting those guns before you go and so should you.

Mumblypeg
05-02-2014, 01:35 AM
Our thoughts are with you....

Ajax
05-02-2014, 05:19 AM
Mike you have my thoughts and prayers brother.

Andy

missionary5155
05-02-2014, 05:44 AM
Good morning Mike
I will be praying for you.
We have a Brother in Christ named Gary who had a similar situation 28 years ago. God chose to heal Gary overnight and he is still faithfully serving God in a small church in Indiana.
Our God's ability to do the impossible is still close by.
Mike in Peru

smokeywolf
05-02-2014, 05:57 AM
Mike, you are showing grace and fortitude right now.
Please be assured, you are now and will remain, on my mind and in my prayers.

smokeywolf

StrawHat
05-02-2014, 06:20 AM
Good thoughts and prayers for you and your family.

CastingFool
05-02-2014, 07:04 AM
I'm sorry to hear that, I'm praying for God's comforting arms to surround you with his love right now. as Christians, we know our final destination, but to our human minds, the process is a little scary, especially when we get close to that time. Father God, I pray for my brother right now, I pray that you give him strength, and that peace that is beyond understanding. Lord, let your light shine through him, to those around him, to cause them to inquire and he will have the opportunity to share his faith with them. If it's your will to heal him, we will rejoice! I also pray for his family, Lord, for understanding and strength, I know this is a difficult situation for them, too. Let it be done right now, Lord, in Jesus's name I pray! Amen!

WRideout
05-02-2014, 07:08 AM
May the peace of the Lord be with you.

Wayne

Wayne Smith
05-02-2014, 07:36 AM
Mike, be very aware that God has you in his arms whatever happens. I am praying for His will in your life.

Green Frog
05-02-2014, 07:45 AM
Just prayed a little prayer for you as well, Mike. You know you are in His hands now, and He will do what is best for you. Peace and comfort to you, friend.

Charlie, "the Frog"

badgeredd
05-02-2014, 08:49 AM
Mike,

God's love and comfort to you. Hopefully God's will is for you to be ablr to shoot you treasures before you continue your journey. As far as dealing with the trials of life, it appears to me that you have it under control in God's grace. Hang in there, and focus on your goals...I'll be thinking of you.

Edd

Bzcraig
05-02-2014, 10:29 AM
I'm sorry to hear that, I'm praying for God's comforting arms to surround you with his love right now. as Christians, we know our final destination, but to our human minds, the process is a little scary, especially when we get close to that time. Father God, I pray for my brother right now, I pray that you give him strength, and that peace that is beyond understanding. Lord, let your light shine through him, to those around him, to cause them to inquire and he will have the opportunity to share his faith with them. If it's your will to heal him, we will rejoice! I also pray for his family, Lord, for understanding and strength, I know this is a difficult situation for them, too. Let it be done right now, Lord, in Jesus's name I pray! Amen!

Amen and Amen!

s mac
05-02-2014, 11:13 AM
I'm also praying for you Mike, and thank you for your service.

JonB_in_Glencoe
05-02-2014, 11:19 AM
I'm prayin' for you and your family.

w5pv
05-02-2014, 11:21 AM
Prayers sent for you big guy that with the help of the Lord you will be able to acheive your goals.

jmort
05-02-2014, 11:54 AM
Praying for you and feel indebted for having a Brother who is beyond inspirational.

mhat
05-02-2014, 01:02 PM
Praying for you Mike.

Mark

crowbuster
05-02-2014, 01:37 PM
Prayers for you Mike. Hope to see your range report soon.

44minimum
05-02-2014, 01:58 PM
I'll be praying for you Mike. Hang in there and stay strong.

HollandNut
05-02-2014, 02:00 PM
consider it done my friend , will be included in our prayer list at church

Hickok
05-02-2014, 05:17 PM
Prayers for you brother to our Good Lord Jesus Christ for His peace and serenity. He is always with you, always! Ken

skeettx
05-02-2014, 05:42 PM
Yes and Amen, prayers being lifted up. Awesome to know you are SEALED :)
Mike

mikeym1a
05-02-2014, 06:38 PM
I have yet to read any responses to this thread, but I thank all who responded. It is so easy to get discouraged when things keep piling up on you. Since being admitted, I have numerous blood and urine tests, CT Scans, pokes and prods. I've been given LOTS of saline, several courses of very strong antibiotics, and lots of pain medicine. Something occurred overnight, and I have begun an improvement. Perhaps it was the antibiotics, but, I feel remarkably better. I saw the Dr. from the Infectuous diseases dept, and he suggested that what I had was a broken rib. I've never had one before, so I had nothing to relate to. But since the sharp pain was related to a deep inhale, that might be what it is. All the organs are intact. There is a thickening of the melanoma, but, nothing that would have caused my pain. I seem to be on the mend, such as it is, and am tentatively scheduled to be discharged on Sunday. This hospital interface is very difficult to use, and myback is getting sore, so I'll log off, and lie down, and rest a bitmore. Thanks to all for yourthoughts andprayers. Thank you.

Artful
05-02-2014, 06:48 PM
Heal and get discharged and then go enjoy life - More Prayers sent.

HollandNut
05-02-2014, 06:51 PM
I had to spend a weekend in the hospital last year .. I feel for you .

Were you exposed to AO over yonder ? Or is this something else ?

Riverpigusmc
05-02-2014, 07:12 PM
Prayers sent

Uncle R.
05-02-2014, 07:27 PM
Good morning Mike
I will be praying for you.
We have a Brother in Christ named Gary who had a similar situation 28 years ago. God chose to heal Gary overnight and he is still faithfully serving God in a small church in Indiana.
Our God's ability to do the impossible is still close by.
Mike in Peru

This^^^
Just may explain this...

...Something occurred overnight, and I have begun an improvement. Perhaps it was the antibiotics, but, I feel remarkably better... I seem to be on the mend, such as it is, and am tentatively scheduled to be discharged on Sunday...

Prayers sent for you. Stay strong and trust in Him. Our God is almighty and does whatever He will. I so admire your attitude (If I may paraphrase) that you're not afraid to go - knowing that there's a place prepared for you - but there are still some things you want to get done here. I pray the Almighty makes that His will.
<
Uncle R.

smokeywolf
05-02-2014, 08:13 PM
I am so glad that things are improving for you.
Although not widely known, a very strong sneeze can crack a rib. Personal experience on this. I sneeze HUGE and have on at least 2 occasions cracked a rib.

You remain in our thoughts and prayers.

smokeywolf

Rompin Ruger
05-02-2014, 09:03 PM
Mike,

Broken ribs can be the devil's own worst pain... can't turn, twist, breath or do much without pressure on ribs. Takes time.

Praises that the Good Lord seems to have willed you toward at least a partial recovery, if not from the melanoma the pain and hospitalization...

Take time. God's will be done!

Keep the Son in your eyes!

DLCTEX
05-03-2014, 09:08 AM
Good to hear you are better. Hang in there and I will keep praying for you.

Bullfrog
05-04-2014, 08:49 AM
Mike,

As I read through all this I can only hope that I face my own mortality with such dignity and strength in the Lord as you have. God bless you and your family and may he give you and them strength and comfort.

NSB
05-04-2014, 09:18 AM
Mike, God's giving you the extra time you wanted. Enjoy it and get the things done you want to finish. You're an inspiration to everyone. Prayers sent.

Charlie Two Tracks
05-04-2014, 09:36 AM
I totally agree. May God's peace and strength be with you.

Jon K
05-04-2014, 09:46 AM
More prayers here....God Bless.

Jon

AlaskanGuy
05-04-2014, 11:40 AM
Bless you sir.... I will be praying that you get out of the hospital again, so you can play with your toys.... And I will be praying for your journey.... Bless you....

mikeym1a
05-04-2014, 04:49 PM
My thanks to everyone for their thoughts and prayers. I am now home, sitting in my chair, reading the posts. I did get quite a bit of rest, but it has left me very weak. I will need to simply start walking each day, and try and get some strength back. Tomorrow, Daughter is taking me to see the Oncologist for a followup on the Cyber-Knife procedure from early April. It will be interesting to see what, if anything more that the medics can do for me. But, At least I am back home, The weather is now warm, and I may get a chance to go shoot those old guns to see if I'm any good at making ammo. The Staff at the Martinsburg, WVa VAMC treated me very well. They were kind, attentive, and very thoughtful. Thanks to all of you for your thoughts and prayers. mikey

wallenba
05-04-2014, 04:56 PM
Continuing prayers for you Mike.

Rompin Ruger
05-04-2014, 08:31 PM
Best wishes, Sir, for a good report at the Oncologist and for strength to come back quickly.

Enjoy being home!

shoot-n-lead
05-04-2014, 08:33 PM
Prayer sent for you and will add you to prayer list.

GOD bless you and keep that attitude.

John Allen
05-04-2014, 09:16 PM
Mikey, good luck bud. Keep a positive attitude!!!

mikeym1a
05-05-2014, 07:18 PM
Well, i was released from the Martinsburg VAMC on Sunday, and today, I was at the Salem, Va VAMC to see my oncologist. It has been an interesting and informative 5 days. As I stated, the folks at Martinsburg treated me with great care, and I was released, and came home in much better spirits than when I arrived. At Salem, when I told my Oncologist of the events, he was confused, and immediately ordered xrays of my ribs. No broken rib. BUT, I do have a pocket of fluid in the bottom of my left lung, which is causing pressure, and pain. This fluid is due to the melanoma I have. And, he has offered me a bit of hope for dealing with the cancer. No, not a cure, but perhaps a remission. It is a new drug that turns on the body's immune system, and locking it on. He told me that this stuff is toxic. So far, about 10% of the people that take it suffer extreme side effects or die from it. To which I replied, '...cancer is 100% fatal...'
There can be some very nasty side effects, but, I'm going to risk it. The worst that can happen is that I die, and I will be doing that anyway, otherwise. So, now it's up to the powers that be to approve the treatment, ordering, etc. According the Dr. DiStaffano, this stuff is frighfully expensive, and has only been approved for treatment for the past two years. As the Chinese might say, I am living in interesting times. Thanks to every one of you for your thoughts and prayers. mikey

Goatwhiskers
05-05-2014, 07:32 PM
Mike, continue in strength and grace. I am praying for you. I have been down the melanoma road, apparently got rid of it, but continue with the side effects of the chemo. Had to make up my mind to do what I can and let the rest go. Trust in God. GW

Rompin Ruger
05-05-2014, 08:17 PM
My gracious but you got a full plate, my friend!

May God be with you thru this period of application for the new therapy... and that you can survive it. Your attitude is one of faith and to be commended! Go with God!

I recently watched an old Tom Selleck Movie, Cross Fire Trailin that, he commented to a dying friend about a saying he'd heard..."Tis a poor thing to fear death, being it's inevitableThen adds, it was said by someone not facing death

You will be in my thoughts and prayers. Do keep us updated on your progress...approval for treatment and outcomes, please.

Keep the Son in your eyes!

Charlie Two Tracks
05-15-2014, 04:38 PM
Still praying for you. Thank you for all the updates and the positive attitude. I can tell that your work is not yet done.

missionary5155
05-22-2014, 05:51 AM
Good morning
May our God intervene and give you rest and peace today. Keep looking for that blessed hope and the glorious appearing of that great God and Savior the Lord Jesus Christ.
Mike in Peru

mroliver77
05-22-2014, 07:57 AM
Adding you to my prayers Mike. You have been a great internet brother with good information shared on our mutual addiction. :) Keep up the good work!
Jay

AlaskanGuy
05-22-2014, 11:48 AM
Bless you sir, in jesus name....

Are you gunna run out to the range and be able to shoot them guns you wanted to shoot???

AG

mikeym1a
05-22-2014, 10:32 PM
Since my initial post on this so very much has happened. Today was another step toward treatment. I was in the 'Day Hospital' to have what they called a 'porta-cath' installed in my upper left chest. It has a long needle that was inserted into the large vein going into the heart. Now, I'm equipped to have the 'Yervoy' treatments. As stated earlier, this chemo-therapy is designed to turn on the body's immune, and keep it on, as long as the chemicals remain in the body. But since it is a series of 4 or 6 infusions, they need a dependable site, so then put this in. I've been home for several hours, and the operation itself was about 10 hours ago, and it feels like I got hit real hard with a baseball. The release form said I had not physical restrictions, but, I'm gonna be real careful not to bump this thing until it quietens down a bit. And yes, I hope to get out to the range to do a bit of shooting at the earliest opportunity. I am actually feeling a bit stronger than I was, but, I still need to take one of my sons with me when I do. But it won't be this week, maybe next, weather permitting. Been thinking of building a gun box for my truck. A hinged affair that bolts to the bed of the truck. the top would slide off, and sit on a pair of trestle legs, and be used as a shooting bench. When closed, the box would conceal/protect my guns. Shouldn't be too hard to make. But, I guess I need to just start walking around a bit, to build up my endurance. Right now, a walk to the 100yd target would leave me exhausted. I am looking forward to my chemo, to see just what it will do. I am not looking for a cure. Realistically, probably the best I can hope for would be a remission, a few more years. Daughter just found herself a really nice young man. Works at a Museum in Delaware. Shoots with the North South Skirmish Association (he shoots cannons), does re-enactments, and seems to be an all around nice guy. Would be nice to see how this works out. Would like to see my grand-daughters grow up a bit more. But, whatever God wills. I thank everyone for their thoughts and prayers. mikey

shoot-n-lead
05-22-2014, 11:02 PM
It is good to hear that you do have an opportunity to slow this somewhat.

I will continue to pray for you.

GOD bless you and your family.

Wayne Smith
05-23-2014, 07:33 PM
I'm continuing to pray for you and your doctors. God takes us when He wills in spite of all that we do. Rest easy in that thought, His will is perfect.

smokeywolf
05-23-2014, 08:15 PM
Mikey,
We continue to pray for you and wish you all the best.

smokeywolf

lonewelder
05-23-2014, 08:24 PM
Will pray,trust in the lord

Three44s
05-23-2014, 08:28 PM
Sending prayers Mikey

Hope this new round of treatment works for you!

Three 44s

Rompin Ruger
05-23-2014, 08:36 PM
I'm new here, Mike, but to read of your faith journey is an inspiration! Thank you for your sharing and allowing us to carry you in prayer.

I echo other's wishes for His Will to be this to work, give you more time here to share your love and insights and faith with others and family.

God's will and timing is perfect, but doesn't always match ours!

Keep the Son in your eyes, Mike! Prayers continue!

Finster101
05-23-2014, 08:47 PM
Mikey, you keep hanging in there. Sounds as though things are getting better but I would keep any shooting to .22s. You have my best wishes for many years to spend on the range.

James

gmsharps
05-24-2014, 01:20 AM
Keep up the positive attitude. The mind can do wonders. Keep the faith and miracles can happen

gmsharps

flyingmonkey35
05-24-2014, 02:25 AM
Mike,

I was looking for my favorite bible quote, But my prayers are with you. I did find this one though.

1 Timothy 5:23 - Drink no longer water, but use a little wine for thy stomach's sake and thine often infirmities.

Live Long and Prosper!

Charlie Two Tracks
05-29-2014, 08:21 AM
That all sounds like good news Mikey! Keep the positive attitude and posting here. I enjoy hearing from you.

mroliver77
06-03-2014, 08:24 AM
Keep it up Mike! They gave my Dad less than a year ay one point. He tried to behave but it was not in him! He bought a chain saw and decided to die in the woods. It took him 17 more years! Tough old vet! Hang in there brother!

Uncle Jim
06-03-2014, 10:34 AM
Thoughts and Prayers to you Bro!

mikeym1a
06-07-2014, 12:41 AM
Time passes. I haven't been able to go shooting. My sons both have their own lives, and have very little time to spare. Plus, my truck broke down. Gotta fix that before I go to the range. BUT, I do have my schedule for the 'infusions'. The first one is on the 17th, takes about 90mins, plus lab time previous. Will be there most of the morning. After that is done, I have three more treatments of this chemotherapy, at three week intervals. It can't happen too soon. I'm as weak as a kitten. Thanks everyone for your thoughts. mikey

skeettx
06-07-2014, 05:18 PM
Truck broke down? What broke? Who is gonna fix it?
Thanks
Nosey Mike

mikeym1a
06-08-2014, 04:38 AM
The carrier bearing on the driveshaft has decided it doesn't want to turn all the time, now. My son was supposed to be helping me with it, but, he didn't show up. SO, I'll have to do it myself. I'll just have to take it a bit at a time. I can go for about 15-20min before I have to go sit down for a while. First I have to move my car, then pull the truck up into the car's spot, then back it up on my ramps, so I can get underneath. The parking spot is an incline, so I get extra clearance that way. A friend of mine salvaged a driveshaft with bearing from a wreck he had sitting on his property, before the town made him get rid of those 'spare parts'. I am hoping it will be the same as mine. His shaft is from the same make, but a year later. I hope! I hope! I hope! Would sure make it simpler if it is the same. I've noticed something odd about my system. I can't eat very much at one sitting, anymore, and I can't eat very fast. But, about 3 hours later, I am famished, and my tummy hurts. And, if I don't eat, I get really shaky inside. So, I guess I need to eat about 6 times a day, just not very much at any one time. That is something of a bother. But, I feel better and have more energy when I do, so, I'll just have to make a new routine. Plus, my system used to love meat, but, now it seems to prefer veggies, and fruits. I bought a 1/2 rack of beef ribs today, and brought them home, but could only eat two of the 8. And then I was stuffed. Live continues on, but with lots of changes. I just have to adapt. Thanks for everyone's thoughts. mikey

Wayne Smith
06-08-2014, 10:04 AM
Mikey, check with your doc about what this treatment is doing to your body's digestion/absorption system and energy utilization. You may need to shift your diet more to the carbs if it is utilizing a lot of your body's energy. That seems to be what your body is telling you, but I'd want to check it with the experts.

LeftyDon
06-08-2014, 01:06 PM
Mike, brother, thoughts and prayers go out to you.

skeettx
06-08-2014, 02:12 PM
Thank you for the info on the truck.
Sounds like some progress on what to do on the truck.
Anyone else there with mechanical skills/strength to assist?
Mike

Ajax
06-16-2014, 05:45 AM
I wish i was closer Mike it would be done fort you. You have enough on your plate. Wish i still knew some close to you. Praying for you brother.

Andy

mikeym1a
06-20-2014, 09:14 PM
Thanks for everyone's thoughts. this past tuesday, I was due to start my first chemo-therapy treatment, only when i got there I was way too sick to take the treatment. The Oncologist sent me to the ER, and from there was admitted to the hospital for observation and treatment. They weren't sure what was causing my extreme pain and shortness of breath, except that it might be my enlarged spleen and liver pressing up on the bottom of my lung. By Wednesday evening, I was improved enough for the Oncologist to suggest that I take the Chemo the next morning (Thurs), to which I agreed. This chemo is designed to turn on the immune system and keep it on while the chemicals remain in the body. So, they came and got me Thursday morning and took me to the Oncology Clinic, and gave me the treatment. I slept through most of it, and the Nurses kept waking me up to make sure I was still alive! After the treatment, I got back to my room just before lunch, and was given a very good lunch. Supper that evening wasn't quite as good, but adequate. Throughout the day, they took blood for analysis, as well as this morning. Mid-morning today, they came by and said the blood work looked really good and that they would release me if I wanted. I did. I all I need to do is take pills and rest, I can do that at home, and not take up a bed that some other Vet might need. Once I got home, I helped my son install his new water heater. By the time we were done with that, I was whipped. I'm gonna put the remainder of my dinner in the fridge, see if that watermelon is still any good, and eat some if it is, and then take a big glass of lemon water to bed with me, and get some sleep. My little sister, a widow, is finally getting remarried tomorrow, and I want to be there. Thanks, everyone, for your prayers and support. God Bless you all.

smokeywolf
06-21-2014, 07:42 PM
Mikey, keep up the great attitude.
The shaky feeling you get ("...if I don't eat, I get really shaky inside.") when you need to eat is likely low blood sugar. Starches and fruits will often continue feeding your blood sugar longer than other types of foods. One of my favorite foods for this is a big baked potato with a generous dollop of lite sour cream and about half cup of salsa piled on top. Blood sugar stays good for several hours.

We'll keep checking in on you,

smokeywolf

crazy mark
06-21-2014, 11:53 PM
mikeym1a, I can feel your concern. I have fought melanoma twice and won both times so far. They used bio-therapy on me. It was called Interferon/introl. 5 days a week in the office and the I gave my self one shot a day for a year. Not fun. Hang in there. I sure pray it gets a lot better for you. The last month of treatment I had to stay home from work as I couldn't stay awake. One week later I could stay awake 10 hours or more. Pay attention to the DR. Mark

mikeym1a
06-30-2014, 06:52 AM
Well, found a used driveshaft for the truck. Adam, my oldest son, helped me install it. It's in a lot better shape than the one that came off it. Seemed to run alright when I drove it to town last night. Now to replace the 'new' fuel pump in my car. Just put it in 2 months ago. Sigh!. Off to the lab today for bloodwork, and to see the Dr. They are checking to make sure my white cell count is high enough. I'm having good days, and bad days. The day Isaac replaced the fuel pump strainer, and the fuel filter on the car was a good day. Took about 3 hours to do the work, and get the car running. (to no avail) But I was wiped out for the next two. This morning, I feel much better, and will probably sleep most of the way to the hospital. Gotta go. Adam will be here soon. Later, guys.

Bullfrog
06-30-2014, 07:04 AM
Mikey,

God Bless you and thank you for your service. As a Christian I hope to meet you some day in the awesome presence of our Lord. It is heartwarming to hear that your eldest came to help his father. I can only say that I have been in similar situations and typically I take off work because my dad is not getting any younger. How about an air rifle to keep shooting indoors? I am certain you have already thought of that, but maybe a friend from church can pick you up and take you to a range :) It amazes me how faith can cause us to face adversities that seem unrealistic. God bless you.

DLCTEX
06-30-2014, 07:21 AM
Hang in there brother. I have been praying for you and will continue to do so.

mikeym1a
06-30-2014, 04:07 PM
It was a long trip. I don't use the VA hospital nearest to me, because the one in Salem, Virginia is so much better equipped. However that does mean for a simple blood test, it is a 6 hr round trip. But, it is worth it. I didn't see the Oncologist today, but I did see his Assistant. She pulled up the blood work. I am a bit anemic, but all other values, except 2, were in the normal range. Those two values were not back yet. So, I need to work on ingesting foods that will help build up my red blood count. Being a bit anemic would explain why I am so weak and lethargic. I am not really surprised by the multitude of normal values seen in this test. Over the years, I have noticed that my body reacts to drugs just the way the doctors say it's supposed to. I guess I just represent the norm. However, I have had none of the expected negative side effects, diarrhea, nausea, dizziness. And, several minor problems that have bothered me for some time have/are clearing up. An indication that the chemo is working the way it's supposed to. I go back on the 10th for my next infusion. I'm looking forward to it. I just have to remember to be patient, and let this treatment work. Thanks all for your thoughts and prayers. mikey

popper
06-30-2014, 04:46 PM
Prayers for you & family. It's the pits when you're feeling puny & then everything needs to get done/fixed.

Rompin Ruger
06-30-2014, 08:18 PM
You, Sir, are a testament to Faith! I revel in your reports. I lament the bad days with you, but rejoice in the good ones as well!

May God continue to keep you, bless you and see to your ongoing well being!

Keep the Son in your eyes, Mikem1a

Charlie Two Tracks
06-30-2014, 09:14 PM
You, Sir, are a testament to Faith! I revel in your reports. I lament the bad days with you, but rejoice in the good ones as well!

May God continue to keep you, bless you and see to your ongoing well being!

Keep the Son in your eyes, Mikem1a

I couldn't have said it better. Praying for you Mikem1a. You are helping more people than you realize.

Artful
07-01-2014, 08:06 AM
Glad to hear your doing ok, I know you can make it thru these little tests of life and come out the otherside like new.

Wayne Smith
07-02-2014, 07:57 AM
Sounds like it's time to get out the liver, Mike! Liver and onions, liverwurst, etc. to build up the iron in your blood. Hope you like it! Hang in there.

w30wcf
07-05-2014, 08:21 AM
Mickey,
I was very sorry to hear of your situation but happy to know that you are christian. Fortunately there are other options to treating cancer.
A distant friend was given 6 months to live even after he went through all of the normal cancer treatments. He decided try some alternative medicine and he is alive and well today, 3 years after he was told that he had 6 months to live.

Please go to www.cancerdefeated.com (http://www.cancerdefeated.com) and check out the information.

God bless,
w30wcf

mikeym1a
07-29-2014, 12:22 PM
Liverwurst and onions!!!! I hadn't thought of that, it's been years since I had any. There was a good german restaurant just off base in Louisiana where I got the most delightful schnitzel and wurst. Never found anything to equal it once I came home. I'll have to see if any of the local markets carry liverwurst. I got the driveshaft out of the truck, and put the replacement 'used' one in. It was in the same condition as the original. So, I ended taking it to my local mechanic for repair. I might have gotten it apart, but you need a large press to get the bearing off and on, AND, I don't have a large press. It was expensive, but now the truck is once again usable. About a week later, I went for my 2nd dose of chemo. The doses are supposed to be 3 weeks apart, but the pharmacy did not order it in time, and it came in a week late, plus the Chief Oncologist Wanted to be present when I got my dose, so, I did not get it until the next week (5 wks). He was very concerned about my condition. My left lung is partially collapsed, and the tumor in my spleen is intruding into my diaphram. PLUS, I only have about 10% of my liver function, if that much. That is probably the reason for my general weakness. (OH! the sun is shining brightly! YAY!) He did administer my dose of chemo, but said it depended on my overall condition as to whether or not he would continue the therapy. Since the last dose of chemo (the 23rd) I have felt a bit better, until I got a bad bag of lettuce. Made me sick as a dog, and am just getting over it. A curious thing, I had trouble drinking water, as it made my stomach cramp, as did coffee. Coffee has been by good friend since I was about 8yr old, and I really did miss it. But, since my second dose of chemo, I have been able to drink both, as long as it is not in large quantities at one time. The coffee is not so important, but the water is, as I need to keep hydrated. I started off by following the advice of one of the internet Dr.'s, who advised that to help recover from dehydration one should mix 1/4tsp of good sea salt to 8ounces of water, and drink just before going to bed, so that the body would absorb the salts and minerals overnight. Well, I did, and it seemed to work, and you can barely taste the salt, plus, it did not cause the stomach cramps. This Dr. recommended 'Celtic' brand sea salt. He stated he had no interest in the company, except that he used it himself, and was satisfied with the results. I, too, am satisfied with the results I have gotten from it. And now, I can drink the water without the salt. So, now two weeks until my next chemo. Am praying for enough improvement, so that I will be allowed my next treatment. Only time will tell. My chemo is on the 13th, and Daughter is getting married to a great young man on the 17th. Here's hoping that everything works out well.

skeettx
07-29-2014, 05:40 PM
Thank you for the report
Pleased the truck is funtional and you are feeling some better
Mike

Rompin Ruger
07-29-2014, 09:52 PM
Liverwurst: Liver-at-it's-worst (and that's saying something!

Used to eat that stuff...came in a tube like Jimmy Dean sausage... Can't even stand the smell now... but hey...to each his own!

Why is it that junk yard parts often seem to have the same malady as the part we so dutifully took off that didn't work??

I still stand in awe of your attitude and fortitude! God loves a happy and hopeful heart!!!

Continued prayers for a turn-around and that God's will be for your healing and longevity...

Keep the Son in your eyes, Mike

Wis. Tom
07-29-2014, 10:40 PM
Praying for you sir.

obssd1958
07-29-2014, 11:07 PM
Mike,
I too am in awe that you have such a positive attitude. You give me something to aspire to.
Praying for your full recovery - God still does miracles!

Don

Wayne Smith
07-30-2014, 07:36 AM
Continued prayers for you and your docs. Now praying for a medical miracle, that your liver would grow back.

nekshot
07-31-2014, 11:08 AM
I am kinda late to your need, but I am praying for you!

smokeywolf
07-31-2014, 11:31 AM
Mikey, you have the continued thoughts and prayers of the smokeywolf pack. Your continued positive attitude is like a firearm you can use against this intruder.

smokeywolf

slide
07-31-2014, 11:36 AM
You are a brave man and God loves the brave.

AlaskanGuy
07-31-2014, 11:37 AM
Ahhh Mike, I will continue to pray for ya.... And your Journey... I pray for your healing as Our lord Jesus loves you... Nothing is too difficult for him. And I pray for your grace and attitude. You inspire me, and many others with your strength and conviction. And I pray that the marriage will be blessed and hat you will be in attendance standing tall sir...

i know now exactly what you are talking about on the snit and wurst thing.... There used to be a little place near my apartment in Offenbach Germany that served traditional wurst and snitzel.... Just thinking about it makes me drool a little.... lol... The same place made the best jäger snitzel I ever had..... Brings back many happy eating memories...lol.

AG