PDA

View Full Version : OK. you 310 die experts, got one for ya

Swagerman
09-09-2005, 03:05 PM
I have a very complete boxed set of Lyman 310 dies in .44 special caliber, even has the nut cracker tool.

There is one die that for the life of me I cannot fathom what its for.

It is marked .44 spe MR, but what does it fit on the cartridge or bullet?

The inside diameter is near .439 bore.

The box shows a picture of it stating it's a Muzzle Resizer.

I tried some seated bullets in .44 special brass and they don't seem to fit, it would be a crush fit and I fear the cartridge would be sadly reduced to uselessness.

What purpose does the die serve.

Swagerman

StarMetal
09-09-2005, 03:33 PM
swagerman

That's a 310 dies that only neck sizes a 44 special. They called it Muzzle Resizing, meaning neck sizer.

Joe

Swagerman
09-09-2005, 04:08 PM
Hi Joe.

In other words, its only to be inserted less than a .032 of an inch into the die to shrink the cartridge neck outside diamter down with the bullet in place.

Is that really necessary in days past?

All my .44 special cartridges are around .450 to .452 outside diameter with seated bullets in them...using Lee dies.

This may have good application for my .454 diameter bullets in .45 Colt cartridges. A lot of times the neck area does get swollen with the big .45 slug in them. Then they don't want to chamber in my .45 Colt revolvers.

Has anyone got one of these .45 Colt 310 dies for a Muzzle Resizer?

Swagerman

woody1
09-09-2005, 04:39 PM
The MR die is used to reduce the neck diameter prior to expanding to proper inside diameter. I've found that the Lyman 310 and Tru-line dies generally over size, ie reduce more than necessary. Mayhaps there used to be greater variations in brass thickness to compensate for. Regards, Woody

Swagerman
09-09-2005, 06:41 PM
Hi Woody, doesn't the typical sizing die of modern die sets do the same thing, resize the brass prior to inserting the bullet and seating it.

I guess they had the MR die for the nut cracker tong tool because they didn't have a decent enough full length resizing die.

Swagerman

woody1
09-09-2005, 08:50 PM
Like Starmetal said, the 310 or Tru-line dies only neck sized (with the die they called a Muzzle Resizer). Any FL sizing was done with a separate die. This die was a hammer in and hammer out deal, totally separate from the tongs or press. As an aside......I began my reloading career with Lyman 310 tools and loaded 1000's of 30-30's with never a FL sizer. All cases of course fired only in my rifle or the rifle they were being loaded for. Regards, Woody

waksupi
09-09-2005, 11:17 PM
Could I interest you in a Lyman Truline, Jr., progressive press, that takes 310 dies? I just happen to have one for sell.

Swagerman
09-10-2005, 11:31 AM
Thanks for all the good information, and thanks for the offer on the Tru-line Jr. press -- I still have one left with a No. 55 powder measure. Recently sold two others I had acquired over a period of time.

Got a complete boxed set of .38 auto/.38 Super dies in the 310 size, look like NIB wrapped in brown wax paper. They came out of BC in Canada.

I've never owned a .38 Super but hear they are good pistols.

Swagerman

Char-Gar
09-14-2005, 06:55 AM
The 310 tong tool lacked sufficient leverage to full length size cases, hence the neck/muzzle only resizing.

TAWILDCATT
10-31-2007, 05:18 PM
310 dies are truline dies the only differance is the 310 has a primer chamber
:coffee: :Fire: :coffee: [smilie=1:

Bent Ramrod
10-31-2007, 09:38 PM
One of your dies should be an expander/decapper which would bell the case, expand it slightly and get it ready for the seating step. I would imagine the .44 might be a little tight because the crimp you can get with a tong tool would tend be a little lighter or less consistent than it needs to be to keep the boolits from coming forward in the cylinder under recoil. A good grip on the sides by the case would help with this. I haven't tried my .44 Spl sizer yet; I'll have to check and see how it does. Of course, during the time the Lymans were losing interest in the family business, tolerances in some cases drifted badly.