PDA

View Full Version : Need tanner for Longhorn hide/hornsg

DLCTEX
05-01-2014, 08:50 AM
My friend has a Longhorn steer with a 6 ft. horn span and a beautifully spotted hide that will soon become hamburger and we want to get ghe hide tanned and the horns mounted. Does anyone have a reccomendation of who to use for this ?

375RUGER
05-01-2014, 09:16 AM
I had Crazy Three Tannery tan a bear and I'm very pleased with it and the price they charged.
I couldn't find their web page so I hope they are still in business.
(866) 904-4744

waksupi
05-01-2014, 11:08 AM
Check for a local taxidermist. A steer hide is a heavy sumbitch, and would cost as much in shipping as the tanning cost. Not to mention the juices that WILL be leaking from it if properly salted.

crowbuster
05-01-2014, 04:29 PM
Check for a local taxidermist. A steer hide is a heavy sumbitch, and would cost as much in shipping as the tanning cost. Not to mention the juices that WILL be leaking from it if properly salted.

You got that right. And if you have the skull done dont let em boil it unless you are just wanting the horns.Bugs or maceration. Taxidermy.net. You may find a few leads there.

19112TAP
05-01-2014, 06:21 PM
My wife is a taxidermist and she took on a longhorn hide years ago, we scrapped and salted/dried it before shipping to the tanner. The tannery we used is no longer in business but with all the work that went into getting it ready to ship and the shipping cost we lost money and it was back breaking work. Good luck finding a tannery that will take it, I believe most of that type of tanning is done out of the US any more. Our last customer we had that wanted this done we advised them to throw the hide away and go down to the Leather Factory and buy one from them that looked similar.

Bad Water Bill
05-01-2014, 10:29 PM
Why not go to "TANDY LEATHER" and ask them for help.

Bullshop Junior
05-01-2014, 11:01 PM
Tandy leather is a good company. Some friends of ours did a buffalo hide them selfs a few years ago. I think I would look at doing it yourself. More satisfaction that way.

jsizemore
05-01-2014, 11:25 PM
Try:

www.taxidermytalk.com
www.carolinafurdressing.com

If neither can help they can point you in the right direction.

w5pv
05-02-2014, 12:24 PM
Texas longhorns one of the few animals that their horns keep growing after castration.

DLCTEX
05-04-2014, 03:43 PM
This old boy is over 10 years old and has injured some cows. He is getting too expensive to keep. We have found some places in Texas that will take on the job, but they may send it to Mexico for tanning. We may flesh the hide with a wire brush in a side grinder. Still considering the options. The skull will get a European mount treatment.

gbrown
05-06-2014, 06:36 PM
Look at Tannit. I have done whitetails with it, works well. However, the amount you will need is expensive. The biggest part of it is fleshing it out. That's hours. I tend to be anal about it. I've tanned 30 or 40 whitetail hides in my life. Made rawhide out of several, also. You might want to call those people at Tannit and talk to them about it.

DLCTEX
05-07-2014, 06:07 PM
We won't be doing it ourselves. It isn't mine and he is a car dealer with no time to do it and no inclination to do so. I also have a business to run and can barely find time to shoot, cast, reload.

BD
05-12-2014, 06:03 PM
http://www.wildlifefur.com
http://www.lonestartannery.com