PDA

View Full Version : CO2 Air Pistols Cartridge Life

RedHawk357Mag
04-30-2014, 07:59 PM
Hello all. Quick question on cartridge life on CO2 pistols. Thinking of getting a Crossman CO2 pistol for mice in my garage. Guessing that the pistol gets 70 shots per cartridge. Is it hard on the pistols leaving a cartridge in place 24/7? Does the CO2 bleed off? If it doesn't hurt the gun to leave cartridge attached 24/7 and it bleeds the gas off how long would it take? thanks

grizzlyadams
05-01-2014, 07:32 AM
the co2 should not bleed off, at least not right away. most manufacturers suggest that you dont leave them charged, but i think that is more for liability than anything else.a gun should hold co2 for at least a couple months, some of the good ones hold until you use the cartridge up. it is luck of the draw.i have a few that will hold forever, and some that only hold for a while

shredder
05-01-2014, 09:15 AM
Depending on the actual model, my Crosman co2 pistols get between 70 and 100 or so shots per cartridge. Temperature and rapidity of fire are both components of co2 guns gas life. I personally do not leave the guns charged for any length of time. If I have not shot up the gas in a few days / a week or so, I will release the gas for storage. You do not want your seals to stay crushed forever. Be very sure to keep a co2 gun oiled. That means oil in the gas system. You put a big drop on the tip of every gas cartridge that goes in to keep the seals lubed. ATF or air tool oil works but pellgun oil is best. NEVER use regular petroleum oils in a co2 gun it will attack and destroy the seals.

rsterne
05-01-2014, 11:13 AM
The most common CO2 pistol made by Crosman, the 2240, only gets about 35-40 shots per cartridge.... and the higher the temperature, the higher the velocity.... All CO2 pistols are pretty sad when the temperature drops below 50*F.... In terms of leakage, they can hold CO2 for an amazingly long time if the seals are good....

Bo

fishnbob
05-01-2014, 04:18 PM
I only get around 35 to 40 shots also. I couldn't find Pellgun oil so I used a drop of mineral oil or even castor oil. Anybody else used that and how does it work?

bangerjim
05-01-2014, 05:39 PM
I have several of them.......and the DO leak!!!!!! Even using the proper oil ( NOT WD40, gun oil or 3in1) the seals leak. I have never had one ready when I need it. i just plan on loading an new CO2 cart when I want to use it. Not too good for mice targeting.

Have you considered the primer-only 22LR's? They are made by a company in Mexico and I have seen them on-line and all my LGS's. I lots of them and they are quite, accurate, lower velocity and can kill mice and pigeons at reasonable distances! I can shoot them in the garage. And you know your 22lr rifle or revolver is always ready! They will NOT work in semi's! Don't even go there.

Good luck with your mice!

bangerjim

bangerjim
05-01-2014, 05:41 PM
I only get around 35 to 40 shots also. I couldn't find Pellgun oil so I used a drop of mineral oil or even castor oil. Anybody else used that and how does it work?

Only oil recommended by ALL seal-type air gun people is silicon oil. Not any other kind!

banger

Bent Ramrod
05-01-2014, 07:00 PM
I've left a few fully charged for as long as a week or so. I didn't notice any leakage in that short a time. Sometimes the O-ring gets charged up with CO2 and swells so you can't put in another cartridge until it shrinks back down. Takes maybe a day.

bandsmoyer
05-01-2014, 07:00 PM
Get a 1377 or 1322 pump it up when you need it, no CO2, more power. I have one of each,love em.

dtknowles
05-01-2014, 09:35 PM
I have a 1377 and love it for off-hand target practice, though that trigger really makes me work. I make a lot of noise when I pump it, might scare off a mouse. I have a similar Crossman 22 rifle that uses CO2. I get 50 shot per CO2 Cartridge. I use Pelgun oil. It will leak down over a week or so sitting.

Tim

RedHawk357Mag
05-01-2014, 11:40 PM
Really appreciate all you weighing in, Thanks:) I was thinking about the crossman pumps as well. Figured the CO2 would be better for the skittish ones. I got some CCI 22 shotshells that probably might meet the prerequisites:) I am out in the country so I could also do the 38 shotshells if i work through a box of the CCIs. Think I might look into the crossman pumps; I had one once before and was pretty happy with the results with amorous tom cats. Again thanks for the help:)

Bullshop Junior
05-02-2014, 03:32 PM
I have a Sig CO2 air pistol. I get about 70-100 shots per cartridge. I leave cartridges in it all the time and havnt had any problems with it.