PDA

View Full Version : Lee 452-200-RF boolit

hickfu
04-29-2014, 09:03 PM
Hello all...

I got this mold a while back and cast a couple hundred of them, they have been sitting around for a couple months now so I wanted to start doing something with them. I powder coated 50 with the HF RED in a Cool-Whip container and now I just got done putting 50 through a sandwich bag with LLA (I have never done either of these before) Is this design any good for LLA? Its not really a TL boolit so I have no idea if it is or not.

I put PB gas checks on the 49 PC'ed ones(I did a hammer test to one of them) just because I had the PB check maker right there and couldnt help myself... (yes I know I dont need them on a 45acp round but im a rebel!!!)

do any of you guys that have this mold use regular lube in that TINY lube groove? all I have is a hard lube I pan lube with for 45-70 and 44 Mag rounds so I have never used it on a pistol caliber (my 44's are for a rifle so I consider it a rifle round :shock: )

I guess its time to load these ones up and take them to the range to see how they do....

Doc

True.grit
04-29-2014, 10:37 PM
I have this same mold and I use it for 45 colt plinkers. I found that I can shoot as cast. It sure save's a lot of time. I also only use LLA type lube on all cast, rifle or pistol. I have loaded some in 45acp as well and they shoot as cast. Good mold for plinking.

bangerjim
04-30-2014, 12:11 AM
I have every 45 mold Lee makes and yes that is a good one!

I used to 45/45/10 it but now only powder coating, both ESPC black and DT red.

I shoot them out of a LC case. The fly reeeeeeel well.

banger

jmsj
04-30-2014, 06:47 PM
I have that mold and have tried it in 45 ACP and 45 Colt.
It was not the best performer in either caliber, not bad just not the best. For me in all my 1911's 45 ACP in the 200 grain range the RCBS 45-201-SWC, H&G 68, and 452460 shot better.
In my Ruger Bisley Vaquero in 45 colt the 452-255-RNFP (same nose profile just heavier) shot better groups. But the 200 grainer was a great plinking load.
At 45 ACP and 45 Colt levels the lube groove held enough FWFL to work really well for me.
Good luck, jmsj
P.S. I forgot, I once tuned a Smith & Wesson 625 in 45 ACP for a guy to shoot Bullseye competition with and the Lee 452-200-RNFP was the best grouping bullet we tried. He didn't like the fact that this bullet did not cut clean holes like the SWC's.