PDA

View Full Version : Feed jams

trucker76
04-28-2014, 04:48 PM
What would cause this? I never had the problem with jacketed ball or hp. Got 2 of these wit my cast. Shooting an XD45

https://scontent-b-lga.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc3/t1.0-9/10298806_806431352702682_2073929849930076416_n.jpg

Pb2au
04-28-2014, 04:53 PM
1) Check the amount of crimp you are putting on them. You might need a bit more. Pull the barrel and see if one of your loaded rounds will plop right into chamber. I tend to crimp betwen .468"-.470".
2)Check the chamber mouth. It looks like it hung up there. (see point one)

Is it failing on the transition of feed from the mag lips to the feed ramp, or from the feed ramp to chamber mouth?

shooter93
04-28-2014, 05:38 PM
The one on the left appears to be seated just past the straight portion of the bullet. Maybe they both are or it appears so which would mess up you crimp somewhat.

Cherokee
04-28-2014, 06:20 PM
Boolits appear to be seated too deep and the exposed edge of the case mouth is catching on the edge of the chamber. TC shape should be seated so the case mouth is still on a little part of the straight side of the boolit. My XDM 45 loves the TC design.

gray wolf
04-28-2014, 06:34 PM
Boolits appear to be seated too deep and the exposed edge of the case mouth is catching
Could be the chamber mouth, without seeing the way it looked at the time or a description of the jam it's hard to say. But if you look at pic #1 on the left, the top edge of the case mouth looks like it is not contacting the bullet, also it's hard to see any crimp at all. ( bullet seating dept needs to be look at and adjusted )

Could be catching on the top of the chamber also, that area would be sharp, the feed ramp area I would think to be smoother and rounded.

For me I need to know what it looked like at the time it happened. That's about all my crystal ball is saying.

trucker76
04-29-2014, 06:03 PM
The bullet was jammed halfway in the chamber at an upward angle. I think it was the crimp. I reexamined the bullet on the left in the pic and it is way lower in the case than the others. Either it smacked in the magazine from recoil or pushed into the case while feeding but either way the crimp was unsatisfactory. I just rolled another 100 rounds and tightened the crimp. I'll test them at the range tomorrow and see how they do.

MtGun44
04-29-2014, 09:43 PM
This is a well documented problem with the XD design. They never imagined anything other than
jacketed ball ammo being used, so SWCs and lead in general are a problem - because of the way
they space the next up round in the mag very high, actually pressing on the bottom of the slide.
SWCs cause a jam as the extracted case is ripped off of the extractor when it hits the step on the
SWC in the mag.

The previous extracted case is dragged HARD over the boolit/case junction area on the XD45, and this
is what is causing the damage. Later models have a hump on the bottom center rib of the slide which
depresses the next up round in the mag to clear the extracted case rim, ending this problem.

Try a tighter taper crimp to let the case rim slide over this junction area better, or get a newer XD, or
use Jbullets.

Bill

trucker76
04-30-2014, 02:16 PM
Tighter crimp fixed the problem. Fired 100 rounds today with no feed jams.